Schwalbe Marathon Plus a lot worse than stock Kenda tires!

you FOOL..:).. what do you think will happen on your next ride? :)
Just another ten-minute job, even if it's the motor wheel with torque arms. Try watching a good youtube video and ALWAYS start off using the plastic tire irons.

I actually ordered my CrossCurrent S with the Schwalbe tires but it was shipped with Kendas because they were out of stock, ended up just asking to be refunded the difference. Im glad I never ended up buying a pair, I really don't want to sacrifice any performance especially in the rain. I guess now I have to figure out what I upgrade to.. any ideas? Are there Schwalbe tires that offer at least SOME puncture protection that are also grippy? I'm fine with replacing tires more often from wear, I just want protection from flats.

I actually ordered my CrossCurrent S with the Schwalbe tires but it was shipped with Kendas because they were out of stock, ended up just asking to be refunded the difference. Im glad I never ended up buying a pair, I really don't want to sacrifice any performance especially in the rain. I guess now I have to figure out what I upgrade to.. any ideas? Are there Schwalbe tires that offer at least SOME puncture protection that are also grippy? I'm fine with replacing tires more often from wear, I just want protection from flats.
Check on the Marathon green guard tires. Not plus. Comparable rolling resistance, better traction, slightly less flat protection than the Plus. bicyclerollingresistance.com likes them.

Well, I had my Marathon Plus tire come out from under me while rounding a corner over a wet metal grate last week. I won't swear that another tire would have stuck, but I'm now of the opinion that a flat tire - even on an ebike - is preferable to a sprained shoulder, technicolor hip and ruined helmet. Schwalbe Marathon Green Guard is replacing the Plus when I regain use of my left arm. :-(

My wife's bike came with Marathon Green guard tires.. Within the first 40mi. the front sidewall developed a bubble the size of a walnut. I have posted this before. The tire was never over inflated and she never hit anything. It was replaced under warranty but I will choose something else when these fail or get worn out

Well, I had my Marathon Plus tire come out from under me while rounding a corner over a wet metal grate last week. I won't swear that another tire would have stuck, but I'm now of the opinion that a flat tire - even on an ebike - is preferable to a sprained shoulder, technicolor hip and ruined helmet. Schwalbe Marathon Green Guard is replacing the Plus when I regain use of my left arm. :-(
I am thinking the same way , and when I remove the Ice Spikers in spring I will not be putting the stock Super Moto X back on. I have not decided between trying the new Magic Mary or going with the proven all rounders Smart Sam Plus that have never let me down on my pedal bike.

My wife's bike came with Marathon Green guard tires.. Within the first 40mi. the front sidewall developed a bubble the size of a walnut. I have posted this before. The tire was never over inflated and she never hit anything. It was replaced under warranty but I will choose something else when these fail or get worn out

Aside from the bubble, how has the Marathon Green Guard performed? Any comparison in performance to other tires (Kenda, Marathon Plus, etc.)?

I don't ride her bike much, it's a gazelle easy flow. Nothing against it, it's a great bike but it's set up for her, not me. When the green guard developed the problem we had a Kenda cross tire on the front for that time waiting for a warranty replacement.. She said she couldn't tell the difference but the Kenda was a much more aggressive tread with pretty big knobbies on the edges.. I rode it a few times and it was noticeably louder but I couldn't really tell much difference either as all the miles were dry road miles... My Haibike has michelin tires, slightly more aggressive tread pattern than the green guard.

"tire come out from under me while rounding a corner over a wet metal grate"

In 50,000 road bike miles this has nailed me a few times over the years as well. That's on skinny 23mm slick road tires, however. I wouldn't imagine the tire size and tread pattern would make a huge difference but maybe it does.

Wet steel is slick no matter what you're riding/driving. Metal ramps going onto ferries can be bad for motorcycles......ask me how I know. I cracked up a 2-1/2 ton army truck 60 years ago by being careless on a metal bridge deck. I've had no issue with my Marathon Plus rubber though.

I don't ride her bike much, it's a gazelle easy flow. Nothing against it, it's a great bike but it's set up for her, not me. When the green guard developed the problem we had a Kenda cross tire on the front for that time waiting for a warranty replacement.. She said she couldn't tell the difference but the Kenda was a much more aggressive tread with pretty big knobbies on the edges.. I rode it a few times and it was noticeably louder but I couldn't really tell much difference either as all the miles were dry road miles... My Haibike has michelin tires, slightly more aggressive tread pattern than the green guard.
Noise is energy not being used to move ahead. That is the trade off for knobby tires. They keep you upright on other than pavement but on pavement they slow you down.

Sorry to hear about the fall... glad you're not more seriously injured!
I had the same thing happen 12/21; my first fall. Rear wheel slid out from under me, as I made a u-turn at a dead end road, and while I'd just skirted the wet manhole cover with my front tire, the rear rolled over it, and I was down in an instant. (Schwalbe Fat Franks). Different injury pattern though... slight left palm impact, minor left shoulder impact, long abrasion down left forearm, and a major impact on left shin--from the bike battery housing and weight of bike slamming into my leg there! The bruise ended up nearly running knee to ankle, and I still have a ping pong ball sized knot there today.
However, I'm not sure (but have no experience to compare) another brand or make of tire would've behaved much differently with that specific set of conditions; wet steel, slightly banking turn, etc. I immediately chalked it up to user error and physics by not giving myself a wider, safer clearance to pass the wet cover completely.
Hope you mend soon!

Speaking of flats, my wife has had 3 flats in 3 months on her Kia. Never in my life have I had to fix so many in such a short period of time. All were caused by phillips head self driving screws construction crews use. It's been years since I've had a flat on my truck, can't remember when it's been so long.

Knobby tires wear out fast on the pavement and ride like crap. Plus no traction at all and that's from m/c experience.

Back