Saw lots of ebikes the past few days and a jerk on an A2B

vincent

A couple of what looked like juiced scramblers in flagstaff
Radwagon in flagstaff

2 sondors on the peavine trail in prescott today, those people said they bought the sondors with the first crowdfunding that was out and they are still going strong, pretty cool

Then coming back on the peavine saw up ahead what i thought was a scooter or motorcycle- this is a non motorized trail and i dont even know if ebikes are allowed

I was doing maybe 10-13 mph on the haibike and he was pulling away the whole time, followed him for 3-4 miles , whatever it was the guy was not pedalling but trucking right along

He stopped and i caught up to him to see it was a yellow A2B bike, he comes blowing by me in a few minutes not pedalling running the throttle wide open

This is exactly the kind of person that will get us all kicked off the bike trails

I yelled at him to slow down, that he was going to get all the ebikes kicked off the trail - he just sped up

This crap really makes me mad

I am HUGE Fan of throttles but i do not go out of my way on a multi use path to act like i am riding a scooter and am very careful about my speed

This guy was my age/50 or older and totally knows better

I just hate this guy could get us all kicked off the bike path just because he was riding irresponsibly....

Even if he has some kind of disability and he cannot pedal he should not be doing 20 miles an hour through there

Is there a speed limit on the trail? Was he acting irresponsibly in some way other than going fast? I'm not sure I see a problem with 20 mph, although I think slowing down when encountering other people on the trail is essential.

TT

I saw one yesterday on a multi user path and he was cruising along, faster than he should have been on throttle only. Just not helping the acceptance of E-bikes. IMO, none of them should have throttles. If you want a scooter, buy one.

20mph on a multi use bike path is too fast, I passed a dog walker with three dogs, other walkers, saw several other bikers and no one was going that fast

I did not see a speed limit and do not know if there is one

Throttles are not the problem, I have throttles on all of my bikes but the haibike and ride slow all the time

I saw one yesterday on a multi user path and he was cruising along, faster than he should have been on throttle only. Just not helping the acceptance of E-bikes. IMO, none of them should have throttles. If you want a scooter, buy one.

I disagree with your throttle opinion, but thought I’d share an opinion of my own. If you want to eBike/commute faster than 30mph, buy a small electric motorcycle.

Nobody can stop the e-bike train now, but now that 20+mph is in the realm of average people off the street instead of just people who cycle regularly, cities need to start adding speed limit signs to their multi-use trails. I agree, e-bike or no, 20mph is too fast, and some bike cops at trail mouths could do a lot to enforce speed limits on e-bikers and cyclists alike.

I disagree with your throttle opinion, but thought I’d share an opinion of my own. If you want to eBike/commute faster than 30mph, buy a small electric motorcycle.

I guess if bad health dictates use of throttle , it's Ok but this was a young guy who is simply too lazy to pedal.

I guess if bad health dictates use of throttle , it's Ok but this was a young guy who is simply too lazy to pedal.

There are people who ride them for there cheap transportation costs. (Me).

If I want to go to get something to eat across the river from where I live I'll hop on my bike. I'm not interested in arriving hot and sweaty. Part of the ride is on a walking bike path. I doubt I do 5-8 mph on it.

If people are nearby, I'll coast or pedal.

I've had people pass me peddling.

I love throttles and I’m selling my haibike specifically because it does not have a throttle and sure that I ride slower than 80% of the people on this forum

I hit my throttle a couple of times when I was parking and it jumped violently on me. I also tried it a couple of times and it's just not for me. This bike has so much torque that taking off from a dead stop is easy, regardless of gear.

I can see that on the ultra bike but do not think it’s the same on the Yamaha or Bosch mid drives even with very strong riders, do not think they can scoot across intersections like a 750 or higher hub bike with the throttle or an ultra

Maybe I’m wrong, if I had my rad rover turned up to level five maybe I could get across intersections as quickly as with the throttle, since I am never in level four or five and rarely level three it’s easier for me to use the throttle to scoot across an intersection than try to gear everything down and change PAS levels just to get across then have to undo it because I am going too fast

The Ultra is in a different league

Maybe a lot of the slower riders like throttle for the boost when they need it and people using level four and five on high powered bikes who tend to go faster have no problems using PAS , that would make sense to me

Good chance my ultra bike will never see level four or level five the entire time I own it , The rare time I need quick speeds i use the throttle for that 15-30 seconds

I can see that on the ultra bike but do not think it’s the same on the Yamaha or Bosch mid drives even with very strong riders, do not think they can scoot across intersections like a 750 or higher hub bike with the throttle or an ultra

Maybe I’m wrong, if I had my rad rover turned up to level five maybe I could get across intersections as quickly as with the throttle, since I am never in level four or five and rarely level three it’s easier for me to use the throttle to scoot across an intersection than try to gear everything down and change PAS levels just to get across then have to undo it because I am going too fast

The Ultra is in a different league

Maybe a lot of the slower riders like throttle for the boost when they need it and people using level four and five on high powered bikes who tend to go faster have no problems using PAS , that would make sense to me

Good chance my ultra bike will never see level four or level five the entire time I own it , The rare time I need quick speeds i use the throttle for that 15-30 seconds

Did you buy a Ultra ? And trust me if you did, you'll use 4 and 5 . Not much, maybe, but it's too much fun not to.

I did customer service for the yahoos that promote putting pedals on what amount to electric dirt bikes, Sur-Ron. But they have a following that is almost evangelical in their fervor to promote FAST ELECTRIC bikes. I had BBSHD 52V 20Ah batteries that easily ran 35 MPH. I consider it not only dangerous but inconsiderate. These are the fellas that will bring stupidly thought out regulations. Cages SEE a bicycle, not a 35MPH Powered Two Wheeler. (PTW)

did buy an ultra, not here yet but I can assure you that I will never go that fast on it, don’t think that my rad rover has ever been in level five since I bought it 3 years ago
And probably only level 4 five times when climbing a steep hill

I do not like to ride over 15 mph
16-17 is where I’m pulling on the brakes

I did not buy the ultra for speed or massive amounts of power, pretty much bought it for the throttle and the torque sensor
and the fact that I can program it to be slow

I did customer service for the yahoos that promote putting pedals on what amount to electric dirt bikes, Sur-Ron. But they have a following that is almost evangelical in their fervor to promote FAST ELECTRIC bikes. I had BBSHD 52V 20Ah batteries that easily ran 35 MPH. I consider it not only dangerous but inconsiderate. These are the fellas that will bring stupidly thought out regulations. Cages SEE a bicycle, not a 35MPH Powered Two Wheeler. (PTW)

To me, 28 is plenty and even then on a limited basis. What I enjoy is the acceleration from a start to maybe 23 or so.

20mph on a multi use bike path is too fast, I passed a dog walker with three dogs, other walkers, saw several other bikers and no one was going that fast

I did not see a speed limit and do not know if there is one

Throttles are not the problem, I have throttles on all of my bikes but the haibike and ride slow all the time
MUPs are all probably unique so you might be right that 20 mph is too fast on your bike path. Maybe the guy you're talking about really was a jerk too, but without speed limits "too fast" seems like a matter of opinion. My regular ride is on a wide, flat, straight, paved, mostly not very crowded greenway. 20+ mph is no problem for long stretches (with no one else on the path). I have to say I'd just about stop, maybe even stop, my bike for a dog walker with 3 dogs. I slow down for anyone, coming or going, unless I'm passing another bike on that is way over to the right as long as there's plenty of room to the left and I know they are aware of me. And I definitely slow way down in more congested areas.

I agree that throttles have nothing to do with going too fast or being a jerk. It doesn't matter how one's bike is propelled, one needs to ride responsibly.

I do disagree with you in principle although you may or may not be right in this particular case. How fast (or slow) you like to ride shouldn't dictate whether anyone else can pull away from you.

TT

I’ve seen this, too. Ebikes are still pretty rare where I live. Seeing someone cruising along, not pedaling, with the throttle at 20 mph doesn’t make them seem like a bike.

Back