Saw lots of ebikes the past few days and a jerk on an A2B

Actually was keeping up with him and gaining on him Slowly at 20 mph because I wanted to tell him I was on an ebike too and and thought he was going to get us all kicked off acting like that

but decided I was going too fast/acting irresponsibly and needed to Slow down

I don’t know if A2B has any 28mph bikes but we probably both top out at 20mph

He definitely blew right by an analog biker coming the other way not pedalling and moving too fast

And then I passed another analog biker coming opposite me a few minutes later and I am sure he blew past that one too

This trail is decently wide but curvy in a lot of areas and wooded/high banks on the sides , plenty of blind spots

Horses are allowed on the trail and anyone coming 20mph around a blind corner onto them is going to spook them

I am not going to argue with you about this, we can all have our own opinion but the bottom line is on ebikes right now we are held to a higher standard because no one wants us out there

Actually was keeping up with him and gaining on him Slowly at 20 mph because I wanted to tell him I was on an ebike too and and thought he was going to get us all kicked off acting like that

but decided I was going too fast/acting irresponsibly and needed to Slow down

I don’t know if A2B has any 28mph bikes but we probably both top out at 20mph

He definitely blew right by an analog biker coming the other way not pedalling and moving too fast

And then I passed another analog biker coming opposite me a few minutes later and I am sure he blew past that one too

This trail is decently wide but curvy in a lot of areas and wooded/high banks on the sides , plenty of blind spots

Horses are allowed on the trail and anyone coming 20mph around a blind corner onto them is going to spook them

I am not going to argue with you about this, we can all have our own opinion but the bottom line is on ebikes right now we are held to a higher standard because no one wants us out there
Also, I do read a lot of writing and reviews by the acoustic bike community. While emtb’s are gaining acceptance, there’s an attitude of “ We fought really hard for years to gain access to trails, and we don’t want irresponsible emtb’ers to ruin it”
Which is a shame. The condition of my back doesn’t allow me to do much hiking any more. But I can explore on an emtb. It could open up a lot of possibilities for people with disabilities to enjoy the outdoors.

I visit a lot of far flung trails. I usually do some research and read notice boards at trailheads. Many trails have speed limits and when they do, they're usually 15 mph. I saw one area had posted a 9 mph limit. Most limits are only posted at trailheads and riders are expected to know.

Tighter regulations are coming. 5 years ago I never saw another ebike. Now I see ebikes just about every ride. If speed becomes an issue and the general public is given a choice to either pay for policing or just ban all ebikes, I know what they'd choose.

Here is another thing that applies just to this situation but this is in Prescott, Az

in that area of the country there are tons of forest roads to ride that fast 10-15 minutes away if that far

So it’s not like he did not have anywhere else to ride or to ride fast

I visit a lot of far flung trails. I usually do some research and read notice boards at trailheads. Many trails have speed limits and when they do, they're usually 15 mph. I saw one area had posted a 9 mph limit. Most limits are only posted at trailheads and riders are expected to know.

Tighter regulations are coming. 5 years ago I never saw another ebike. Now I see ebikes just about every ride. If speed becomes an issue and the general public is given a choice to either pay for policing or just ban all ebikes, I know what they'd choose.
Which again, would be unfair, among other things. Because you don’t need an electric motor on
20mph on a multi use bike path is too fast, I passed a dog walker with three dogs, other walkers, saw several other bikers and no one was going that fast

I did not see a speed limit and do not know if there is one

Throttles are not the problem, I have throttles on all of my bikes but the haibike and ride slow all the time
My bike doesn’t have a throttle, but I can see where one would really be a help. Some of us don’t have the strength or balance we used to, and most ebikes are HEAVY. Forget to downshift before you start, catch your heel on the chain stay as you’re starting off, or turn the front wheel a little too much, and that bike will go right over. Ask me how I know.

Back