Safe to "floor it?"

niltohams

I have a Juiced CCX that has a 750w geared hub motor with a thumb throttle control. Is it safe to just slam the throttle? There's not really enough resistance to push it very gently, especially over rougher terrain. Will doing that harm the motor or controller in the long run?

I have a ebikeling 1200 W geared hub motor. I use maximum throttle up many of the 77 hills on my commute to my summer camp. I carry ~50 lb supplies outbound. I have a 17 AH battery. It is a year old now, has gone about 2000 miles. Works fine, about 30 mile range from 51 v to 44 v. I ride on pavement.
The motor gets quite warm at the end of 30 miles up hill. I wouldn't want to use it that hard for 40 miles without a cooling fin.

Thanks. But do you hit the throttle hard? As in pushing the throttle all the way instantly versus gradually? (Sorry I wasn't clear with my question! My bad.)

If you "slam the throttle" it's not really going to harm the motor or controller assuming both have been well designed. Juiced, for the most part, are well designed.
It will have an effect on efficiency. Same as with an ICE powered vehicle, "punching it" is usually hurting efficiency.

Great. Thanks! I figured direct drive motors don't have much of an impact since it's just a rotor turning. But I wasn't sure with the *geared* motor. I get your point about efficiency though. I figure 3 things on that bike I should take better care of (i.e., expensive to replace): the frame, the motor, and the battery.

My little 20" folder with a tiny motor, with half the weight over the rear wheel, will lift the front wheel off the ground if I hit the throttle too hard starting from a stop. And it's done that going up a steep hill where my center of mass is behind the wheel. Scared me the first time. Your Juiced has better balance, but rolling on the throttle is probably just a good habit.

Off topic, but Ha ha. When I was a teen, I knew guys who would get into their dad's old sedan and assume the position when putting the pedal to the pedal. The right hand flies off the steering wheel. Your right leg is fully extended and your upper torso flops back into the seat while you head struggles to look forward. With the right theatrics one could make a little six seem like a 390.

Thanks. But do you hit the throttle hard? As in pushing the throttle all the way instantly versus gradually? (Sorry I wasn't clear with my question! My bad.)
Yes, I go from 0 throttle to 100% as fast as I can twist it. I coast as far as I can down one grade (up to 35 mph) then up the next, and when speed gets below 15, I hit it. Else the motor will drag down to 4 mph, its horsepower limit IMHO with 300 lb aboard.
My cargo bike frame biases my weight on the front wheel, then I have the motor & battery up front, too. So no chance of lifting the front.

If I'm faced with something like crossing a busy road for instance, the fact I'm going to "floor it" to get across would be a pretty safe bet! Other than that I'm much more likely to just ease the power on. It's more comfortable to hang on, it's easier on the drive train (the motor makes it's most torque at very low speeds), and it's darn sure easier on my battery mileage.

Back