Sadly about to return my Kathmandu Hybrid one 500

Ohhhh. Thanks for that. I'll take a look. So by 'inner' and 'outer' they mean a specific tooth for a narrower link and a wider link.

Attached a pic of the derailleur. I don't see a clutch there.

View attachment 132373
I cannot understand it. The Shimano Deore RD-M4120-SGS is describer as a "Shadow" derailleur, and Shadow is for the clutch in the Shimano systems.

1660767970208.png

What thing is it? Can you move it forward with your fingers?

In the photo that looks like it might be a separate movable part but its just the way the piece is made. It is solid.

I think it might be time to just let the LBS diagnose and fix. I don't believe they've spent enough time on the bike at a constant cadence on flat ground to have felt it. They promote themselves as having hilly, no traffic test routes and that isn't going to uncover this. I can sort of believe they didn't feel it if they didn't settle in to a groove.

I do want to have troubleshooting suggestions for them that don't make them smirk and ask me "have you ever ridden a mid motor ebike" again because it might make me snap. I'll assume they haven't been gaslighting me. :eek:

If anyone finds any useful documentation on the crank set I'd appreciate a shout. Acid E-Crank 38T, 175mm is how it shows up on the spec sheet. Maybe rebranded? I want to find out if there is a right way to install the chain for this chain ring.

Last edited:
Have you tried putting on a bit more chain lube yet? Things do look a bit dry on the chain and cogs in this photo. It's a long shot but it may help.

I think it might be time to just let the LBS diagnose and fix. I don't believe they've spent enough time on the bike at a constant cadence on flat ground to have felt it. They promote themselves as having hilly, no traffic test routes and that isn't going to uncover this. I can sort of believe they didn't feel it if they didn't settle in to a groove.

I do want to have troubleshooting suggestions for them that don't make them smirk and ask me "have you ever ridden a mid motor ebike" again because it might make me snap. I'll assume they haven't been gaslighting me. :eek:

If anyone finds any useful documentation on the crank set I'd appreciate a shout. Acid E-Crank 38T, 175mm is how it shows up on the spec sheet. Maybe rebranded? I want to find out if there is a right way to install the chain for this chain ring.
I believe ACID is a Cube owned brand. I have the same crank on mine. CN

May I suggest Starting a ticket with your LBS on vibration issue and put more miles on the Kathmandu, 30 miles to me is not broken in yet.
That seems like a reasonable suggestion but they have already claimed there's nothing wrong. I agree it isn't broken in yet, but if I break it in and the vibration continues and they deny feeling it then I'm outside the return window and I have to find someone else to work with at my expense. Is that a bad assessment?

The warranty gives the retailer the discretion. Cube FAQ

When you return it, consider buying a bike with a through axle rear wheel rather than QR - I can't imagine the forces going through that rear axle - between the torque from the motor and your legs ( given you are a " big guy" ) .

ps my suggestions - try to replicate the feeling with the bike upside down / in a stand. That'll give you a chance to look / feel for what is happening. eg Is it one pedal or both, a certain chain position ( eg the split link being on upside down or a stiff link) ,

That seems like a reasonable suggestion but they have already claimed there's nothing wrong. I agree it isn't broken in yet, but if I break it in and the vibration continues and they deny feeling it then I'm outside the return window and I have to find someone else to work with at my expense. Is that a bad assessment?

The warranty gives the retailer the discretion. Cube FAQ
I'll be riding mine tonight. I'll pay real attention to anything that can construed as a vibration. CN

I have never felt anything I would describe as happening INTERMITTENTLY in the drivetrain.
I mean, if it's doing something, it does it ALL the time. CN
I described it as intermittent because there are lots of hills then brief flats then more hills in my neighborhood. When I took it out on a long flat trail it was pretty much a constant and this morning when settling in to a consisitent cadence and steady mph it was clearly there most of the time. It kind of feels like someone strummed a big rubber band on the pedals, most noticeably on the downstroke of my left pedal.

When you return it, consider buying a bike with a through axle rear wheel rather than QR - I can't imagine the forces going through that rear axle - between the torque from the motor and your legs ( given you are a " big guy" ) .

ps my suggestions - try to replicate the feeling with the bike upside down / in a stand. That'll give you a chance to look / feel for what is happening. eg Is it one pedal or both, a certain chain position ( eg the split link being on upside down or a stiff link) ,
Good ideas. Thanks. I'm 270lb and have fairly strong legs so yeah there must be a lot of torque. We'll see how the return goes. They are claiming there's nothing wrong so it would be an exchange for a preferred product or a credit. Argh.

Have you tried putting on a bit more chain lube yet? Things do look a bit dry on the chain and cogs in this photo. It's a long shot but it may help.
I'll give that a try. The shop lubed the chain last week when I tried to get them to fix the issue but it does feel a bit waxy and stiff.

Back