Sad about last two rides.....

Yes, I was joking but I DO carry pepper spray in my rack bag after too many close calls with loose dogs. I also dread actually having to use it sometime
Agreed. I carry c can of Halt on my bike also. I really hope I never have to use it. I love dogs, but I don’t want to get bitten. Small dogs are a problem where I live, too. People let them run around off leash, and I always worry that one will run under my front wheel.

Found a new MUT annoyance Sunday morning as I headed out for a slow easy cruise day. Met a group of about 50 runners going the other way, shouldn't be a problem except they felt a need to run 3-4 abreast gabbing away, inattentive and not yielding ROW. My biggest problem was that the edge of the path on my outside was a slightly elevated (3-4") concrete slab and immediately beyond that some shrubs, rocks and the river. Of course they were strung out, running in clots. I ended up stopping twice.

Riding bikes, jogging, walking dogs - I'm not sure if people are ruder in groups or alone.
Got that too- was rounding a corner on the bike path and ran into an entire cross country high school track team out for an early morning run. Thought I was going to be like Simba’s dad in the midst of the wildebeest stampede. One kid seemed determined to run right into my bike- he swerved at the very last second.

As a dog owner and lover I can honestly say that poorly behaved dogs are almost always the result of owners who are either negligent or clueless. The negligent owners produce bad behavior by abuse and by encouraging aggression. Their dogs become fearful, confused, don't know their role and become anxious. The clueless owners produce bad behavior through confusion and insecurity. These people think they are being "nice" to their dogs but they are really not doing them any favors. Their dogs also become fearful, confused, don;t know their role and become anxious. Dogs are inherently social animals who need to be taught the rules and have them enforced with consistency. They are not furry humans and their owners need to learn about how to communicate with them and what their social needs are.

Our 2year old Weimaraner, Sitka
View attachment 35910

Hey Alaskan-Now is that an "E-dog "or a "Dino-dog"? After all, this is an "E-bike forum", right? Just kidding;););)!!

One approach to dogs is to buy a $5 electronic bell. It's designed to be audible to car drivers (not to be used indoors — you have been warned!) but it really scares dogs. It also scares pedestrians. And other riders. It's kind of like the equivalent of green lasers.

Personally I have plenty of horror stories related to dogs. Getting attacked by packs of dogs (one ride I had two packs of 6-7 dogs after me), single dogs chasing me around parks (negligent owners), dog owner whose dog was too strong for her (so it ran in front of my bike), etc.

Loud noises are good. Ultrasound (Dog Dazzer) works too, but it has its limitations — dog has to be mature enough and has to be in an 'excited' state. When it works, it works very well, so now I no longer believe dogs are actually capable of guarding anything — if you use this thing, the dog will be unable to bark, being paralyzed with fear or whatnot.

Being in a socially adversarial country, we do sometimes have dog owners that do not really care what their dog does. If that's the case, I basically consider the owner complicit in assault and will use any means necessary against them. It's funny to see how scared people get when they see that they might be in trouble because of their dog.

Needless to say, you want to ride with a camera, just in case.

Last edited:
I really dislike those so called electronic bells. The sound is very loud and very distracting for the others on the bike path.

There were instances where I had to stop and walk my bike because of a big dog and an owner who is not in control agreed it is annoying. There were many times where pedestrians walk on the bike path while completely blocking both lanes however most of the time when they realize that I am close they make way. When I see kids from a distance I always slow down to a crawl before passing them etc.

BTW I always slow down and wait for some time to give the rider in front(or pedestrians) to realize that I am behind and give way. I use the bell only if the rider fails to do so after a long time and I almost never say anything like on your left on a two way bike path(only use the bell if necessary) etc. Maybe I should begin yelling and shouting and using those loud horns to scare and living organism on the path.

I highly recommend a military grade pepper spray for any possible scenario involving medium to large size dogs. You can have it attach to the handlebar and is very powefull, 10-15feet range a good one. Additionally a front/rear facing camera could also be helpful in order to prove if needed that you were in danger.
The Tesla cars with their Sentry mode and cameras are wreking havoc on thiefs and people who have demonstrated negative attitudes towards the brand.
Is on youtube all recorded courtesy of the cars cameras
The same can be done for ebikes , but with dogs , since we have no protection from the elements , unlike a car, the peper spray could be very much a big help.
A few times i felt as if the people who own the aggressive breeds have a joy when people fearfully walk past them.
Well beware of the powerfull spray little cutey pitbull or rottweiler...your aggressive unprovoked bark towards an ebiker may be your last one for a good while !

Sir i totally agree with you , but protection is important. I also had instances with aggressive big dogs , sometimes on a peacefull tranquil ride in a gentle country.
What would you recommend ? I would definitely use my 28mph pedelec to run and avoid confrontation first from an agressive dog or many dogs but as a back up that item can be helpful. Especially for a woman like the OP.

I highly recommend a military grade pepper spray for any possible scenario involving medium to large size dogs. You can have it attach to the handlebar and is very powefull, 10-15feet range a good one. Additionally a front/rear facing camera could also be helpful in order to prove if needed that you were in danger.
Aren't you in New York?

"NEW YORK: Legal but with restrictions. Non Felons over 18 only, for the protection of person or property. The definition is “a pocket sized spray device which contains and releases a chemical or organic substance which is intended to produce temporary physical discomfort or disability through being vaporized or otherwise dispensed in the air. There are certain labeling requirements. Sales require both a seller’s license and the completion by a purchaser of a registration form. New York residents may only purchase from licensed Firearms Dealers or licensed Pharmacists in that state. No more than two sprays may be sold at any one time to a single purchaser. Also, you cannot buy by mail or online."

http://peppersprayinfo.com/index.php/pepper-spray-laws/

I am for defending yourself, if in physical danger. I think people should be aware of any possible ramifications.

unprovoked bark towards an ebiker may be your last one for a good while !
As a the owner of a very well behaved 82 pound rough collie that likes to playfully bark, but always remains in control, I'd have real problems with anyone spraying my barking dog.

Ok , i have to rephrase the last sentence (and will also correct/edit it) b/c you are right and i am not a dog owner and I misrepresented a loud bark from a scenario like this :

- a dog, big dog that violently barks unprovoked and aggressivly moves towards another person showing clear signs that he overpowers the owner and the owners strength , and the owner grip on the leash greatly diminishes or gets loose allowing the violent barking dog to get closely (within 3feet) to the other person.
For a scenario like that i would hit PAS 5 ASAP, pedal hard and a firm grip on the spray ready to press it.

Ps- i’m in Nj, but i ride in both states.

And J.R my apologies if triggered an unintended response given that i made that statement wrongly. I am a pet owner myself and i greatly love dogs , cats, birds , amphibian life and alll nature.
Also I appreciate for pointing out the law wording. I actually bought mine from amazon.

I think we should open a thread such as :

Methods to protect/ self defense from attacking Bear/wolfs/aggressive dogs ! And also stories from people who have been through such unfortunatte scenarios.

Ps 2 - can’t edit it since it’s been almost 2-3hours since the post, but the last post makes it more clear how i personally view an interaction like that.

I don’t know how it would be for someone’s wife , gf or person of female gender.... or even worse a kid/small child.

Last edited:
Ok , i have to rephrase the last sentence (and will also correct/edit it) b/c you are right and i am not a dog owner and I misrepresented a loud bark from a scenario like this :

- a dog, big dog that violently barks unprovoked and aggressivly moves towards another person showing clear signs that he overpowers the owner and the owners strength , and the owner grip on the leash greatly diminishes or gets loose allowing the violent barking dog to get closely (within 3feet) to the other person.
For a scenario like that i would hit PAS 5 ASAP, pedal hard and a firm grip on the spray ready to press it.

Ps- i’m in Nj, but i ride in both states.

And J.R my apologies if triggered an unintended response given that i made that statement wrongly. I am a pet owner myself and i greatly love dogs , cats, birds , amphibian life and alll nature.
Also I appreciate for pointing out the law wording. I actually bought mine from amazon.

I think we should open a thread such as :

Methods to protect/ self defense from attacking Bear/wolfs/aggressive dogs ! And also stories from people who have been through such unfortunatte scenarios.

Ps 2 - can’t edit it since it’s been almost 2-3hours since the post, but the last post makes it more clear how i personally view an interaction like that.

I don’t know how it would be for someone’s wife , gf or person of female gender.... or even worse a kid/small child.
I'm not against self protection. I ride many dirt roads here in the country and some of the Amish have huge farm dogs. They are working dogs and can get aggressive. So I get it. I've altered time and or location to avoid some farms. And I've had to hit top assist, which if I see them coming I can outrun them. If I get caught off guard, they'd catch me for sure. Sometimes there's not an easy answer.

And also only some of the big dogs can be aggressive from my knowledge: the rotweiller, pitbull ? maybe doberman , although from what i saw they do not attack unprovoked.

I just saw a beautiful huge Saint Bernard and i knew for sure i am safe walking by and i petted him/her.

And also only some of the big dogs can be aggressive from my knowledge: the rotweiller, pitbull ? maybe doberman , although from what i saw they do not attack unprovoked.

I just saw a beautiful huge Saint Bernard and i knew for sure i am safe walking by and i petted him/her.

Regarding non aggressive dogs, trusting them without knowing them or having a lot of visual clues may be a serious mistake.

That Saint Bernard could easily have bitten you.

And the same is true of the dogs with nasty reputations. Some of them are about the gentlest dogs you'll ever run across.

Point being, you really can't assume anything when approaching a dog. ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ask the dog's owner for permission to pet - assuming they're around. Watch for visual clues, like a curled up lip, or raised hair on it's back, those are both solid visual clues to retreat slowly when dealing with an unattended big dog......

AHicks, thank you for taking the time to write this. I really didn’t knew any of that except when asking for permission to pet the dog..
Was just assuming that it’s safe to approach based on if it looks mean and/or barks or not.

Oh and thats the Saint Bernard, sorry for the low quality pics(i was moving the phone after the dog)
8AD1349B-F423-4117-8334-BA0288521127.jpeg

53B20A74-7075-41C9-8C5F-ACFDAB9539C6.jpeg

Last edited:
If you have Never been Bitten by an angry Dog, then I must say you are naive ( and I mean that in the nicest way possible).

A Dog attack is a "Primal" experience, and it will stick with you for many years, if not a life time. It goes to the core of our DNA (IMHO).

Don't be foolish, by assuming a dog won't turn on you.
Try to conceal your fear, and move away slowly, Don't shriek or act threatening, just get out of Their immediate Domain.

Always scan for Dogs, and go a different direction before getting in to their protective domain, (if at all possible).

Just the other evening, my wife and I were riding in our neighborhood, and as I was "scanning" I spotted a Pit Bull (not on a leash, in its front yard). I called out to my Wife.... "GO LEFT, GO LEFT !
Thankfully she altered course. But had No idea why I told her to do so, until I got along side her and said, "There is a Pit Bull in the other direction", She didn't see it.........

Be Safe.
Craig

I have also been confronted on a few occasions back in the day from dog bites while doing a route for a few years. Luck was on my side to live through it as a younger person.

Beware of the animals with a "dino-bark" or a "dino bite"! o_O

AHicks, thank you for taking the time to write this. I really didn’t knew any of that except when asking for permission to pet the dog..
Was just assuming that it’s safe to approach based on if it looks mean and/or barks or not.

Oh and thats the Saint Bernard, sorry for the low quality pics(i was moving the phone after the dog)
View attachment 36141

View attachment 36142

They look so harmless in that state don't they. Getting permission from the owner first before petting is probably your best bet and good advice. I have seen them snap on occasion from an unsuspecting stranger getting ready for a harmless pet on his/her back. You never know...

As a the owner of a very well behaved 82 pound rough collie that likes to playfully bark, but always remains in control, I'd have real problems with anyone spraying my barking dog.

Sorry, but if your dog is barking at people, THEY don't know it's playing and your dog is not well behaved. Barking is aggressive , even if it is " play fighting" .

Sorry, but if your dog is barking at people, THEY don't know it's playing and your dog is not well behaved. Barking is aggressive , even if it is " play fighting" .
Yes, because this scared the world.

That's a rough collie; the stuff of nightmares. I've owned 7 of them, never had a fence, dog's have never attacked anyone.

Screenshot_20190808-105948_Gallery.jpg

My dog in the front yard. She might bark!

" play fighting"
So you put quotes on something I never said? I also never said the dog was aggressive either. Check the law, barking isn't illegal. Mace a barking dog that's in complete control of its owner and you've just committed a property crime. Dogs bark, horses whinny, cats growl, roosters crow and birds sing. Just a warning. It's natural:)

It bears repeating:
"If You've Never been Bitten by an aggressive Dog" .................. then you don't have the experience to see it from Both sides.

I Loved the dog I grew up with, and others over the years.

I despise the Dog Owners who let their Dog out without a leash.

- Several times I was bitten while on a Paper Route as a Kid.

- Once I was bitten by a dog that didn't look "aggressive", in a Friends yard.

- Once, my Wife & I were riding on a trail when four Dogs came at us Aggressively, and I had to use my Bike as a "Weapon" / "Shield".
It scared the HELL out of my Wife.

- And most recently, two HUGE dogs came bounding down the street snarling and growling, as I was out on a Morning walk. My Heart Pounded out of my chest, and at 62 years old, that doesn't feel so good.

So, anyone who trivializes this issue, that may confront the Biking community, is just down right ignorant, and insensitive.

I now relinquish The Soap Box.............

Craig

Back