Rode my acoustic today.

dodgeman

Region
USA
City
Macomb, Illinois
Road my Trek acoustic bike today. The good thing about the acoustic, it’s lightweight compared to my Trek Verve+3. It also has a front suspension fork, which softens the ride a little.

I think my expectations were to high. I think because it weighs less I thought it would pedal like a dream. There isn’t that much difference between it and my e bike turned off. Instead it just reinforced how great e bikes are. The hills weren’t really that bad but I was so slow on them. The ride was 6 miles with 200 feet of elevation gain and my average speed was 10.1 mph, which is pretty slow. On my e bike I average closer to 14 mph. If your thinking about breaking out your old acoustic, don’t unless your a glutton for punishment.
081D070F-A0A9-4B59-8378-57FF7CFF68D7.jpeg

the problem with my mid drives is they don't have the gearing to ride well without power. my allant 8 with a 11-36 cassette takes 200 watts to go up a 2% grade.

Road my Trek acoustic bike today. The good thing about the acoustic, it’s lightweight compared to my Trek Verve+3. It also has a front suspension fork, which softens the ride a little.

I think my expectations were to high. I think because it weighs less I thought it would pedal like a dream. There isn’t that much difference between it and my e bike turned off. Instead it just reinforced how great e bikes are. The hills weren’t really that bad but I was so slow on them. The ride was 6 miles with 200 feet of elevation gain and my average speed was 10.1 mph, which is pretty slow. On my e bike I average closer to 14 mph. If your thinking about breaking out your old acoustic, don’t unless your a glutton for punishment.
View attachment 133866

That’s a really pretty bike.
A least you were able to get to the top of the hill. I’m sure would not be able to climb any hill on a non-powered bike.
I gave my Trek FX to my niece who plans to use it for triathlons.

Another gripe on the acoustic is the grips on it. They are round with what I would call a palm swell. My e bike has the grips with what I would call paddles. Much less hand numbing with the paddle style grips.

View attachment 133866
Self awareness is a good thing 😆

I had a similar experience. Rode a Canyon Roadlite 6 analog bike (22 lbs), which is actually a really nice bike, on a 35 mile ride with 2000 ft elevation gain. Averaged 13.5 mph per GPS and Strava, while with my Ride1UP Roadster single speed ebike with lowest assist level, I'm usually in the 15-16 mph range.

I feel the same way you do. Had some really difficult ebike rides with knees hurting, so the ebike was a real blessing to be able to complete the ride with assist!

Probably never turning back to analog. And for me, also probably never getting a bike without a carbon belt.

This is my daily ride. I look forward to getting up every morning and heading out on a 30km training loop. I never thought that I would ever get back in the saddle of an analog bike until I rode the Super6. Makes riding without PAS fun again. We met a fellow riding along on a Sondors step thru today and had a nice chat. Don’t know which model it was but he seemed very pleased with his online purchase. I think he was a bit caught off guard that someone riding on a non-powered road bike would actually stop and shoot the breeze.

IMG_20220723_1027090.jpg

I pulled out my old Trek 1000 road bike last year, and had it serviced. New wheels (one was damaged), tires, and cables even. I rode it a few times last year, then hopped on it this Spring….once….and realized it had gotten too difficult to climb the hills, so I gave it to my nephew. I used to love that bike, but somehow I got old. Besides, I kinda like the further faster thing. 😊

This is my daily ride. I look forward to getting up every morning and heading out on a 30km training loop. I never thought that I would ever get back in the saddle of an analog bike until I rode the Super6. Makes riding without PAS fun again. We met a fellow riding along on a Sondors step thru today and had a nice chat. Don’t know which model it was but he seemed very pleased with his online purchase. I think he was a bit caught off guard that someone riding on a non-powered road bike would actually stop and shoot the breeze.

View attachment 133872
Nice bike. Always wondered what a really lightweight analog bike would feel like, climbing hills.

I still enjoy my Wilier road bike. It’s strange how I don’t miss having the assist when I ride it. Same species, different genus. She weighs about 17 pounds.

Attachments

• 5AD18260-8351-41EC-8264-555BB3CBA7E0.jpeg
    5AD18260-8351-41EC-8264-555BB3CBA7E0.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Nice bike. Always wondered what a really lightweight analog bike would feel like, climbing hills.
Thanks. I believe it’s the lightest disc brake road frameset C-dale has ever made. It all adds up to a bike that handles with precision but possesses explosive speed due to its stiffness and is ready and willing when the grade goes up. It’s also surprisingly comfortable to ride except on the most harshest of roads. That being said, it won’t replace my e-road bike which is far more versatile when it comes to longer more challenging rides with higher elevation gains. Versatile in the sense that I can ride it without PAS much of the time and have at it on gravel if I choose.

if you're used to a heavy e-bike, a really light analog road bike (with light wheels and tires and all that) feels like an e-bike with the motor on just a tiny bit starting out and climbing. it's just so easy and responsive. at steady speeds in a straight line, the difference isn't as noticeable because weight doesn't mean much. but going around a corner, uphill, starting, stopping, it feels like flying by comparison. i still love my ebikes but that flying feeling on a lightweight bike is something else.

i have set up my road bike and e-road bike almost exactly the same; the creo (e-bike) is slightly longer and a tiny bit higher in front... but they have very similar tires (30 vs 32mm GP5000), very similar wheels (a bit wider on the creo), the same cockpit and saddle, the same pedals, and nearly identical gearing at the low end for climbing. the acoustic bike weighs about 14lb, the e-bike around 28 or maybe 29lb. both incredible bikes, but i really don't ride the creo much any more on paved roads. for crazy steep gravel stuff it's still my tool of choice - my heart can't deal with 20%+ grades off road, especially if it's warm out.

twoBikes.jpg

after putting nylon flat pedals and a gel seat on my regular bike, I find that I ride it much more often. I'm about 6.5 miles round trip from an Amazon return center so anything that can fit in a backpack, I'll return by bicycle. This year, I've gotten more involved with group rides and have put more miles on my road bikes than my Radwagon. Last weekend I did 75 miles on group rides using regular bikes. (The Bianchi was a converted ebike but now its back to regular). The Radwagon is now used more for commuting.

IMG_20220831_210207784.jpg

I rode my 2010 jamis commuter 2 around my neighborhood ( think hills), and although I love my jamis, and have ridden it thousands of miles, and it's a perfect fit, it just isn't right for the hilly area I live in. It worked great everywhere else I've been, but these long hills are killing me wirh the bikes 7speed shimano nexus IGH. The new ebike eats up the hills, and I'm once again terrorizing the roads.

Attachments

• 20220919_102550.jpg
    20220919_102550.jpg
    928.8 KB · Views: 128

View attachment 133866
I will not ride Acoustic these days unless its level on a hard surface, I would rather enjoy it than train.

PLAYED my acoustic today! Does that count? As you can see, I am a MOPAR guy too.

Attachments

• C28490D6-D06F-4675-9406-D4296B5C513E.jpeg
    C28490D6-D06F-4675-9406-D4296B5C513E.jpeg
    520.6 KB · Views: 101
  • 505EFF85-8EE1-4B0E-B5DB-2DE20F647480.jpeg
    505EFF85-8EE1-4B0E-B5DB-2DE20F647480.jpeg
    569.2 KB · Views: 113
  • 542BAE70-3307-4526-BA74-11ECA96AC9B3.jpeg
    542BAE70-3307-4526-BA74-11ECA96AC9B3.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 103
I had to get rid of my acoustic when I retired, as we are full time RV, so only so much room. I gave it to my old co worker, as he expressed interest in her. She was a Dekra D Drive with shaft drive and a 3 speed Nexus hub. I still miss her.

Attachments

• 8250F739-566B-4AB0-A6FC-86BDC2211B4A.jpeg
    8250F739-566B-4AB0-A6FC-86BDC2211B4A.jpeg
    93.3 KB · Views: 96
  • CAB68950-121C-46C8-977F-2275DF86EC61.jpeg
    CAB68950-121C-46C8-977F-2275DF86EC61.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 87
Back