Rize x or Rad Rover

mark.presseau

I ordered my first ebike, the Rad Rover $2000 Canadian after doing alot of research. Now I'm regretting my choice because I think I've found something better. The Rize X, $2300 C. They both seem to have the same frame and appear to be very similar. However, for the additional $300 Rize seems to offer much more.

Battery: Rize 19ah 48v. Rad 14ah 48v

Rize comes with the rear rack and bottle holder. Rad, I would have to buy them

Rize has a torque sensor. Rad has cadence.

Rize 9-Speed Shimano Acera (11-34T)

Rad 7-Speed Shimano Acera

Rize 750w bafang rad 500w

Rize Tektro Hydraulic Disc Brakes 180mm
Rad Tektro 180 mm front and rear mechanical

Everything else seems to be pretty similar but the above differences seem to give a major advantage to Rize.

Am I crazy not to cancel the rad and get the Rize instead?

What did you guys think?

As far as specs go, Rize offers a lot of value across their lineup.

As far as support and reliability go, I wouldn't say RAD is the gold standard, but they are certainly a known quantity at least. Based on the posts I've seen here, Rize is a little more of a roll of the dice both in terms of reliability and after purchase support.

Did you end up getting it? If so, how do you like it? I'm in the same boat. Deciding whether to go with Rize x , radrover 5 or Yukon 750

I'm a big Rad fan, with a very modified '17 City. Love their support, even if it's pretty basic. I generally don't need it, but a lot of people really depend on it. That's a big plus for the RAD. They also have an enormous fan base. When it comes time to sell a Rad, they are going to be easier to sell, and bring more money because of that.

For those that don't want to pay any more than they have to for a bike, and don't need support 99.99% of the time, Rize offers awesome bang for the buck. I just bought a brand new RX Pro from them, with that decision based nearly 100% on the hardware, the actual components used to build the bike. I don't need support, (4th e-bike, do ALL of my own work) and very willingly took the reduced price with that in mind. I hesitate to recommend making this move for the inexperienced who may need a lot more support than I do. That's a question you'll need to decide on personally.

Not sure if any of that will help or not. -Al

I'm a big Rad fan, with a very modified '17 City. Love their support, even if it's pretty basic. I generally don't need it, but a lot of people really depend on it. That's a big plus for the RAD. They also have an enormous fan base. When it comes time to sell a Rad, they are going to be easier to sell, and bring more money because of that.

For those that don't want to pay any more than they have to for a bike, and don't need support 99.99% of the time, Rize offers awesome bang for the buck. I just bought a brand new RX Pro from them, with that decision based nearly 100% on the hardware, the actual components used to build the bike. I don't need support, (4th e-bike, do ALL of my own work) and very willingly took the reduced price with that in mind. I hesitate to recommend making this move for the inexperienced who may need a lot more support than I do. That's a question you'll need to decide on personally.

Not sure if any of that will help or not. -Al

Thanks for your input. It's definitely something to think about. To me the hardware looked more appealing in rize x. However, reliability and support matter as well since it will be my first ebike. I obviously want the best bang for my buck as well.

Yup, the difference in the number of threads and messages can tell quite a story. It should be easy to see for instance, that RAD, with it's 974 threads, will more likely yield results for any particular question you have.

The other thing about Rad in particular, is there are so many different mods available, NONE of which are supported by RAD. They're all supported by guys like Timpo and I, among many others.

If you value "fan base", then Rad Power, hands down.

Because Rad Power is far more common, there are lots of aftermarket support.

In addition, Rize and Rad has quite a bit of difference when it comes to online community.
When you own an ebike, inevitably you will encounter questions and problems.
It's nice to have someone to talk to online when you need to, especially if you're a beginner.

Rize Bikes Forum:
Threads: 47

Rad Power Forum:
Threads: 974
Thanks for that. Good to know!

Yup, the difference in the number of threads and messages can tell quite a story. It should be easy to see for instance, that RAD, with it's 974 threads, will more likely yield results for any particular question you have.

The other thing about Rad in particular, is there are so many different mods available, NONE of which are supported by RAD. They're all supported by guys like Timpo and I, among many others.
Good to know RAD has an amazing community. Thanks for the info guys! 👍👍

Does anyone know if the voltbike is a true 750watt motor? I have been reading about how some are and some aren't and manufacturers are using controllers to modify them.

No, just like Rad Power, VoltBike Yukon 750 is powered by 350W motor (Bafang G060.350.DC), which is overvolted to 750W.

I know this because someone here on EBR posted about it.

He got the "real 750W" motor on his Yukon 750... and immediately, he noticed the difference in torque.
The "real 750W" has heavy duty magnet, coil, stator, etc.. so yea, it makes sense that it has a lot more hill climbing power.

However, the "real 750W" chews up your battery a lot more. He said he used to have 3 bars left after his commute, not he has 1 or maybe 2 bars.

Just got an email back from Rize.

"It's a true, continuous 750W motor, not an overclocked 500W.

The exact model is the G060.750 Bafang."

I asked volt bike and rad the same question. Haven't heard back from them. Rize was the first the reply. Impressed with their customer service.

I'll be surprised if Rad responds to that question. Even more surprised if the answer gives much in the way of specifics (like the exact model number for instance).

I'll be surprised if Rad responds to that question. Even more surprised if the answer gives much in the way of specifics (like the exact model number for instance).

I sent an email to both in regards to exact model number. Rize responded in less than a day. It's been over 2 days, Rad has still not responded. Same with volt bike. No response yet

0C38FA57-4CDF-4E7F-B13D-CA0ADFB99C6B.jpeg

Back