Rize X and RX Motor Output

thehoags

Hi everyone, I'm curious about a couple Rize bikes.

Looking at the Rize X and RX on the Canadian site, it appears that both have motors rated above 500 watts, which is not street legal in Canada.

The X is rated for 750 watts, and the RX is rated for 1000 watts.

In Canada, in order for it to be considered an e-bike exempt from licensing and insurance, it must have an electric motor of 500 watts or less.

So I assume these bikes are being sold for off road use? Or are they somehow electronically restricting the motor output by default?

Interesting enough it doesn't say anywhere on the site that the bikes are not street legal but anyone who looks at the Canadian laws would know the motor output is too high on these bikes.

I'd be curious if anyone had contacted Rize about this for an explanation or perhaps had experience with these two bikes and would know whether or not the motor output is restricted by default?

I know VoltBike sells the Yukon 750 in Canada but on their website it says the motor is electronically restricted to 500 watts using the controller. But that doesn't change the fact that the motor itself is rated above 500 watts.

If the bikes in fact do come stock with a motor rated over 500 watts, then they can only be legally used off road.

I'm looking at buying a Rize Blade, which does state a motor rating of 500 watts and top speed of 32 km/h.

I understand one can limit the top speed easily using the display but I'm not sure if the same could be done for the motor output without the use of external software and a computer, which the average user wouldn't know how to do.

Any thoughts?

Biktrix does this too. Sells a 750 watt motor, exactly like their US models, unlocked for ‘off road riding.’ This is how they legally sell this motor. I‘m sure rize will say the same for RX. I doubt they will sell 1000 watt motor for their best bike that is crippled in any way. I already bought one from biktrix. Speed is at your discretion. I don’t think any cops are going to care about your Ebike unless you are going full 50-60 kmh in a 30 zone. You can also set the bike to not exceed a certain speed. I’m also interested in the RX, mainly because it has an even better motor than the biktrix, plus a better battery and offers torque peddling. Same price. I’m going to try to demo one in the next few weeks as my biktrix juggernaut should be here by then.

Biktrix does this too. Sells a 750 watt motor, exactly like their US models, unlocked for ‘off road riding.’ This is how they legally sell this motor. I‘m sure rize will say the same for RX. I doubt they will sell 1000 watt motor for their best bike that is crippled in any way. I already bought one from biktrix. Speed is at your discretion. I don’t think any cops are going to care about your Ebike unless you are going full 50-60 kmh in a 30 zone. You can also set the bike to not exceed a certain speed. I’m also interested in the RX, mainly because it has an even better motor than the biktrix, plus a better battery and offers torque peddling. Same price. I’m going to try to demo one in the next few weeks as my biktrix juggernaut should be here by then.

Thanks for your response. Would setting the speed limit to 32 km/h limit the motor output? I wonder if the speed limit would have any effect on how many amps is sent to the motor, which would effects how many watts the motor is putting out.

Back