Chris Nolte

Court and I had a visit with the Riese & Müller team at Interbike and Court made a video. Check it out below:

Here is Court’s Synopsis for reference:

For 2018, Riese & Müller is celebrating it’s 25th anniversary by launching a “top of the line” Deluxe Signature model. It’s built around their full suspension, dual-battery, Deluxe model which is designed for touring. It comes stock with two batteries for 1,000 watt hours, integrated metal lights, it uses a carbon handlebar, a Shimano XTR Di2 electronic shifting, and Fox Factory air suspension. This model is priced at $11,000 USD. They built it with all of the top-end components that they would like to have on their own personal bicycles without worrying about spending more, it’s a joint effort by Marcus Riese and Heiko Müller who founded the company, they are physically signing each model with a hand written autograph.

The Homage has also been updated, with a new 27.5” wheel size option with fatter tires. This should bring the frame closer to the ground for lower stand over height and offer some improvements with comfort and stability. This bike will be priced similar to before, maybe $100 more at the $5,899 price point. You can see my original review for the 2017 Homage model at: https://electricbikereview.com/riese-...

From here, we moved to the Packster 40 which is a slightly smaller version of the original Packster which I have reviewed here as the 2017 Packster 80 https://electricbikereview.com/riese-... The new version is shorter but still offers more load capacity than the Riese & Müller Load model which has full suspension. The packster is a bit less expensive as it only has a front suspension fork. One thing that struck me as being unique, was the look-through window on the front of the load that makes steering easier. It aims to be a crossover between a standard bike which is narrow, short, lightweight, and nimble, with a cargo bike that is capable of hauling supplies or a child. It fits one child and they are seated backwards so you can see them and talk with them easier. There’s a dropped area where feet can go and this doubles as a storage area for when you fold the soft seat materials down in. This model comes either with a belt drive and Nuvinci CVT or a standard chain and sprockets. You can get the Bosch CX or Bosch Speed motor here. The Nevo has also been updated with a 27.5” plus tire option, just like the Homage, this improves stability and adds some comfort when riding. You can watch the full Nevo review I did on the 2017 NuVinci model here: https://electricbikereview.com/riese-... they now offer a smaller frame size option at 43 cm which would be great for petite riders, it comes with 26” wheels, so even lower to the ground. Heiko told me that the Nevo was one of their most popular models in 2017. It is easy to approach but can still handle heavy riders up to 353 lbs. It also comes stock with an SR Suntour NCX Suspension seat post to improve comfort as well as a traditional suspension fork.

The Roadster model has also been updated for 2018, having a more integrated battery which seats into the downtube a bit. They now offer a mixte step-thru frame for people who cannot mount the diamond high-step frames as easily. I reviewed the 2017 roadster model at https://electricbikereview.com/riese-... it comes in white, metallic lime green, and matte black colors.

Heiko ended our interview by saying that 2018 looks very good for electric bikes, more people are adopting them (they were common to see at Interbike, very popular this year) and the options are getting better and better. Riese and Muller will be attending the Ebike Expo events around the USA in 2018 so you can go for test rides and there are a number of shops that now carry them including Propel in New York, New Wheel in San Francisco, and Splendid Cycles in Seattle (there are about 15 shops total at the time of this video). Because the models are more expensive, it’s great that they are growing their dealer base in the USA.

You can see some of my previous Riese & Müller ebike coverage at https://electricbikereview.com/brand/... and learn more about the company at their official website: https://www.r-m.de/

I’ll try to update this thread with photos later when I have more time.

Chris - I was hoping to hear something on the new Charger and Super Charger. I'm taking it they didn't have those bikes on display? I know from your past posts and from the Haibike videos they have to wait for Bosch's UL certification so we'd likely not see them in the USA until late next summer. Will the new Charger with the intube battery have a rail mount system for a 2nd battery like Haibike? Any idea on US pricing for the new Charger (maybe just relative to the current models)?

From what you have heard from R&M, are they happy with their first year in the USA? I have to assume that is the case if they say they are expanding their dealer network. But I was just curious how their 1st year has been here relative to what they had expected. Thanks

Chris- do you know anything about the US availability of the Roadster urban with the Active Plus motor. R&M have it on the US version of their press release, but it isn’t available for configuration on the US site.
I’m looking for a Bosch powered, belt driven bike, but I’m not completely sold on the Nuvinci (it’s very hilly where I ride). If the Supercharger with the Rohloff were available, I’d probably order right now, but the Roadster is considerably less expensive.
From the 2018 US press release:

Roadster urban: Bosch Active plus, 500 Wh, 11-speed Shimano Alfine, belt drive, 4,759.00 $ (also available as a Mixte version).

Chris - I was hoping to hear something on the new Charger and Super Charger. I'm taking it they didn't have those bikes on display? I know from your past posts and from the Haibike videos they have to wait for Bosch's UL certification so we'd likely not see them in the USA until late next summer. Will the new Charger with the intube battery have a rail mount system for a 2nd battery like Haibike? Any idea on US pricing for the new Charger (maybe just relative to the current models)?

From what you have heard from R&M, are they happy with their first year in the USA? I have to assume that is the case if they say they are expanding their dealer network. But I was just curious how their 1st year has been here relative to what they had expected. Thanks
The New Charger and the Supercharger weren't at Interbike, but I did get to check them out at Eurobike. I'll be happy to assist where I can. In theory the bikes coming from Germany will arrive sooner than other brands which are built in the Orient. Riese & Müller didn't want to show bikes that they don't know they can sell. We're really waiting on the UL certification and we can then start to plan the timing and logistics. The batteries are being built in Hungry so brands like Riese & Müller that build their bikes in Europe will have some competitive advantage.

Regarding the rail mount system, their system is not the same as the Haibike version you are probably referring to. You will need to decide on dual battery at time of purchase, however we are working with Bosch to see if retrofits will be possible. It's really a matter if we can update the software to accommodate the second battery. If someone wanted to have the hardware without the battery we could just sell the bike that way and resell the extra battery. I understand someone like yourself with two Bosch powered bikes wouldn't necessarily want to purchase another standard powerpack.

Regarding how R&M feels about their entry into the US, Our conversations have lead me to believe they are very satisfied. I think they did much better than they anticipated. It's my feeling that R&M filled many gaps that existed in the US market and judging the landscape for next year I think they will continue to keep leading the way with innovative products.

Chris- do you know anything about the US availability of the Roadster urban with the Active Plus motor. R&M have it on the US version of their press release, but it isn’t available for configuration on the US site.
I’m looking for a Bosch powered, belt driven bike, but I’m not completely sold on the Nuvinci (it’s very hilly where I ride). If the Supercharger with the Rohloff were available, I’d probably order right now, but the Roadster is considerably less expensive.
From the 2018 US press release:

Roadster urban: Bosch Active plus, 500 Wh, 11-speed Shimano Alfine, belt drive, 4,759.00 $ (also available as a Mixte version).
Riese & Müller won't be bringing any Active Plus motor bikes into the US for 2018. They are trying to keep the lineup simple as they work to build up the US market. Keep in mind the Active Plus motor is much different than the CX or the Speed motor found on the other R&M bikes. I do think the Nuvinci is much more robust than the Alfine though.

Riese & Müller won't be bringing any Active Plus motor bikes into the US for 2018. They are trying to keep the lineup simple as they work to build up the US market. Keep in mind the Active Plus motor is much different than the CX or the Speed motor found on the other R&M bikes. I do think the Nuvinci is much more robust than the Alfine though.
Thanks for the info. The Roadster urban probably isn't the right bike for me, but I like the aesthetics and am intrigued by the new motor and the electronic shifting Alfine.
Also, thanks for the feedback on the Nuvinci. Maybe I should try it out on a more extensive test ride. The demo Charger and Delite I rode both had derailleurs, but my local dealer has a Nevo with the Nuvinci.

Thanks for the info. The Roadster urban probably isn't the right bike for me, but I like the aesthetics and am intrigued by the new motor and the electronic shifting Alfine.
Also, thanks for the feedback on the Nuvinci. Maybe I should try it out on a more extensive test ride. The demo Charger and Delite I rode both had derailleurs, but my local dealer has a Nevo with the Nuvinci.
I'm loving the Delite with NuVinci that Chris sold me. As I told him, I feel like a kid again.

I'm loving the Delite with NuVinci that Chris sold me. As I told him, I feel like a kid again.
This ended up being one of our most popular bikes. They really are awesome! Looking forward to reviewing a bunch of the 2018 stuff with Court starting next week.

Hi, Just a short introduced to say that we live in England. We wanted to test out the Supercharger when the Riese & Muller agent came to York on a test day in early November. Unfortunately he did not have any of the Supercharger range on the day. However, we did get to ride a Charger and on the strength of want we already knew about the Supercharger range and the test of the Charger we ordered two Supercharger GH nuvinic models with a delivery date of early February 2018. We are new to E bikes having had Trek hybrids for the last ten years, but decided that the Superchargers will help to aging baby boomers to keep riding the hills and back lanes. When the bikes arrive I will try to sort out a video post with a lay man's review of how the bikes are working out for us. All the best to one and all Chris

Welcome to the EBR family, Chris! We're looking forward to your pics and hearing about your adventures with those 2 Superchargers. The Riese & Muller ebikes have been a real hit here in the US.

IMHO the Delite 25 is a wrongly specced bike. If you want 'premium' you would select completely different components. Di2 XTR is no longer enough to surprise anyone and Rohloff is still the mark of luxury so they should have gone with that. Other parts are equally under-specced. Hey, at least they got a Fox 34 in there!

Welcome to the EBR family, Chris! We're looking forward to your pics and hearing about your adventures with those 2 Superchargers. The Riese & Muller ebikes have been a real hit here in the US.
Hi, I have just posted a video clip on U Tube under the heading Riese & Muller Supercharger GH NuVinci. I hope this helps to answer a few questions about the bike.

Last edited:
That's a nice looking bike! What drivetrain do you have? Is it the traditional derailleur, Nuvinci, or Rohloff? How does the Thudbuster sea -post feel? That long delivery time scares me as the New Charger and Supercharger are not even available in the states as of now. A 2-3 month wait time would probably push delivery to the mid or late summer.

Hi, The bike is a GH Nuvinci and the Thud buster black rubber mount is ideal for my weight ie 11/12 Stone. If you are interested in getting one of Riese and Muller's Superchargers then unfortunately you get not get around the long wait time. At the moment 3 months seems to be the going time for delivery.

IMHO the Delite 25 is a wrongly specced bike. If you want 'premium' you would select completely different components. Di2 XTR is no longer enough to surprise anyone and Rohloff is still the mark of luxury so they should have gone with that. Other parts are equally under-specced. Hey, at least they got a Fox 34 in there!
Hi Dimitri, it’s refreshing to see others points of view to realise that we all are very different people. You see I looked at the Delite 25 and thought wow!, there’s not much more to do on this bike. My history is a Trek Madone 9 with di2 followed by a Haibike hard7 with a Bosch performance cx. I love the Haibike so much. I upgraded the brakes to Magura MT7, a Fox dropper seat post, fox 34 ebike forks, and some carbon rims with Chris King hubs. It all adds up very quickly. So anyway I’ve ordered my Delite 25 and it’s due for production week beginning 12th March. I am going to upgrade the xtr double piston brakes to something like Hope Tech 3 V4’s because I ride motorbikes and they should really stop the bike. I think the pedals may be a bit cheap, but hey, not ever ridden a Rohloff I don’t know what I’ll be missing, I certainly know what to expect from the di2 though. It will be awesome and I can’t wait!!

Hi, I have just posted a video clip on U Tube under the heading Riese & Muller Supercharger GH NuVinci. I hope this helps to answer a few questions about the bike.

Hi, Just a three month update on the R&M Superchargers.

I have just posted a three month update on our R&M Superchargers on You Tube

Watched the video Court & Chris did together in Brooklyn of the 2 red R&M bikes (complete with spooky swinging metal fence). Those are gorgeous bikes. I'll need to save up for one of the step-thru nuvinci models. I really appreciate the in-depth reviews and it's nice to see well-known ebike experts present alongside Court. I think @Chris Nolte even cracked a smile a few times, if I'm not mistaken! :D

I think Court can make anyone crack a smile. Even a serious guy like me :)

I’m starting to loosen up, it takes me a while.

Back