Riding the new ST2 s

I am in need of an improved clamp. I have to raise my Bodyfloat at the beginning and the 1/2 way point of every ride !
I had this issue until I thoroughly lubed the seat tube with graphite grease. It seems to add a slightly abrasive quality that helps to secure the seatpost. This is a common fix for sliding seat posts. Also, it is easy to strip the bolt on the clamp so be sure to torque the bolt to make sure you are tightening to specification. I probably stripped 3 clamp bolts in 9 months on my Neo Carbon.

I agree, the parkour around the EUROBIKE was small, but I’ve some experience on the ST2, so I believe, it’s enough for a short statement.

The most important thing is the electronic gear shifting system from Shimano. There is only one 52T chain ring, but the 11 gear cassette spreads the gears form 11T up to 40T, this is broader than before. The ST2 s has sufficient torque and power to deal with this. Shifting gears is very easy, the display always shows the current setting, you hear a beep and the shifting-motor. At the upper and lower end, you hear a different beep. With this, the only important function of this tiny device is to show the reaming charge of the shifting systems battery.

As expected, the Di2 works very fast an exact. It’s also possible to choose another gear as the bike stands still – shifting will take place a soon as the wheels are turning. For people who often shift gear / riding very sporty, the Shimano Di2 might be a real benefit.

Does the Di2 use it own Shimano battery pack as usual on other bikes, or does it power from the Stromer battery in the bike?

upload_2016-4-22_21-37-5.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Bluecat for the video of the St2s. What a Wonderfull Bike !. Forgot his protective eyewear though. An Oak acorn fell and hit my lense the other day, would have been my eye without mine on.

Forgot his protective eyewear though. An Oak acorn fell and hit my lense the other day, would have been my eye without mine on.

Agree, but is similar to Hollywood: Car windows are open getting pictures without reflections.

Here another one, especially interesting regarding the "nanny state" topic. Location might be a suburb of the swiss capital:

Question to the locals: On what locations was the official ST2 s video filmed?

Question to the locals: On what locations was the official ST2 s video filmed?

With some effort, I found, the small Restaurant is the "Pie Hole" on 714 Traction Ave / Arts District LA:

upload_2016-5-2_22-40-20.png

Some more findings from your side?

Bluecat is it true the St2s kickstand doesn't self retract like last years St2 ? I think I heard mention of this on a great review by NYCE ebikes on youtube.

My new ST2S arrived yesterday, you are correct, the kick stand stays down like a regular bike. The mount piece has a "Cam Lobe" on it that allows it to lock down or lock up - the ST2 lacks that cam lobe, but otherwise the stands look the same.

Rode the bike today for 16 miles, love the snappy shifting of the Di2, the bike also has less rolling resistance with the slightly thinner Continental Tires, so overal it feels like a crisper, snappier, sportier ST2.

Thanks for reply, and need to swap stands ASAP. Great looking bike congrats! Accolades for Stromer team.

Just search for California Plaza, LA in Google earth. It's right next to it. And not too far from Traction Ave...

Great, thank you.

As I now know where to look, I was able to find South Santa Fe Ave;

upload_2016-5-3_20-50-54.png

You're right, all close together:

upload_2016-5-3_20-49-51.png

But where's this nice house with the view over the mist-covered city?

I had this issue until I thoroughly lubed the seat tube with graphite grease. It seems to add a slightly abrasive quality that helps to secure the seatpost. This is a common fix for sliding seat posts. Also, it is easy to strip the bolt on the clamp so be sure to torque the bolt to make sure you are tightening to specification. I probably stripped 3 clamp bolts in 9 months on my Neo Carbon.
Do you happen to know the torque spec for the clamp on an ST2.
Thanks
Neil

I hope you're not planning a burglary. :D

If the car would be a Tesla Model X, we could discuss about... ;)

(It's funny to do some investigations for finding the exact locations of the shooting - whilst being in Switzerland with nothing than the video and the internet.)

Do you happen to know the torque spec for the clamp on an ST2.
Thanks
Neil
I put on a Suntour and torqued it at 5 Nm without any grease and works perfect but
I'm a light weight
Asked Stromer for the specs but no torque specs for this???????

This was the "very helpfull answer) from Stromer????

We have no specific Nm setting defined for the seat post clamp.

Please tighten the screw as hard as necessary.

Not to less, not to much.

Last edited:
Today, I had the chance to race against a Specialized turbo s.

Only a few km, but gave me a impression of the strongest competitor. First, he was behind me. I was unable to get rid of him. Speed at 45 km/h, sometimes up to 48km/h, were the ST2s starts braking from itself. But he was always in my back, sometimes a few meters behind, sometimes in my lee. At an intersection, we both had to stop. I let him go first. The road goes uphil. I ride beside him, recognizing the black turbo s. I remembered, in uphill competitions, a ST2 always wins. I attack! Giving all my strength, heart rate and breath raise to the maximum. He was unable to follow - I was first at the top.

Then, our ways divides. I had to climb even steeper (and slower), he follws the main road...

ST2s_vorHQ_zpsrgotjt1v.jpg

Today, I had the chance to race against a Specialized turbo s.

Only a few km, but gave me a impression of the strongest competitor. First, he was behind me. I was unable to get rid of him. Speed at 45 km/h, sometimes up to 48km/h, were the ST2s starts braking from itself. But he was always in my back, sometimes a few meters behind, sometimes in my lee. At an intersection, we both had to stop. I let him go first. The road goes uphil. I ride beside him, recognizing the black turbo s. I remembered, in uphill competitions, a ST2 always wins. I attack! Giving all my strength, heart rate and breath raise to the maximum. He was unable to follow - I was first at the top.

Then, our ways divides. I had to climb even steeper (and slower), he follws the main road...

ST2s_vorHQ_zpsrgotjt1v.jpg
Now you need to switch bikes with him and see if the result is the bike or rider! Nice story!

To me it looks like they are comparing a 250Watt BionX drive to a 500 Watt ST2 drive. That's the 25km/h 250 Watt BionX drive on the Wheeler if I'm not mistaken.

;) Because it's hard to find a volunteer who wants race against an ST2s.... ;)

I understand your doubts and I've to confess: I wasn't there and I have no reliable proof.

But i know, that the BionX rider hat excellent contacts to the industry. He is a very experienced e-bike rider; I guess, he wouldn't start with a lame duck - and he finished on pos. 3. In a short conversation afterwards, he stated: "Es waren eigentlich nur Bikes in der schnellstmöglichen Konfiguration am Start." This brings me to the conclusion, it was the 500W system.

Back