Riding mostly roads but also crushed shell, dirt

Soundchasr

Region
USA
Hi all:

Getting ready to buy my first ebike. I'll be riding on Sanibel Island and it's mostly flat roads but we will also see shell, dirt and sand. But no true mountain biking.

I'm looking for upright seating position and I want spend around $2,000.

I like the idea of class 2 but class 1 is fine too. I appreciate any recommendations.

Hi all:

Getting ready to buy my first ebike. I'll be riding on Sanibel Island and it's mostly flat roads but we will also see shell, dirt and sand. But no true mountain biking.

I'm looking for upright seating position and I want spend around $2,000.

I like the idea of class 2 but class 1 is fine too. I appreciate any recommendations.
There are many excellent e-bikes available and nearly countless opinions which bikes are 'the best'. Since you'll be riding ( living)
on Sanibel Island, I suspect Pedigo Bikes are available for rental. If you've never ridden an e-bike that would be a good place to start.

I'd also check out the LBS (Local Bike Shop) that are dealers for quality e-bikes. Depending on your riding skill level, a very safe easy
to ride bike is the Trek Townie-Go. ($2,600) . The bike is designed so when you stop you can place your feet flat on the ground. It
has Bosch drive system, one of the best in the industry.

There are fat tire bikes and as the name implies comfort is king while riding and you'll have the ability to ride on packed beach sand.

Purchasing the correct size bike for your body is extremely important to your riding comfort. I recommend you seek out a LBS
who has has trained bike fitter on staff. Not some that adjusts the seat and says "That looks good to me" A professional bike
fit will cost $150 and up and take a good hour plus.

You'll absolutely want a suspension seat post. The gold standard is the Kinekt 2.1 Aluminum. Expensive, but worth it. I have one on
both of my e-bike. Love em !

https://cirruscycles.com/products/kinekt-2-1-aluminum

Last but not least. The supply of bikes is somewhere between extremely tight to non existent.

Good luck,
John

Most bike tires are too narrow to ride on loose beach sand, fat tires with low pressure are supposed to be OK for riding on the beach but they’re heavy and loud when riding on pavement. The suggestion above to check out your nearest Pedego dealer is a good one, their least expensive model is the Element that has 4” fat tires and is fairly upright, but as you’re mostly riding on paved surfaces I’d suggest trying one of their cruiser models or the City Commuter Lite edition which has standard handlebars as opposed to the wide cruiser bars, and just tie up the bike when you reach loose sand. Rust is a big problem for bikes in coastal Florida so you might look at paying slightly more and looking at the Gazelle Medeo T9, Dutch bikes are designed to be left out in the rain and salty coastal areas so they use rust resistant paint coatings and stainless hardware etc.

My perspective is from many years of riding mountain bikes on single track trails, and another thousand miles or so on an ebike in Daytona Beach Florida. In DB I ride a combination of pavement and on the beach.

People see a question about Florida and instantly go to the fat tire discussion. The only loose sand I ride on is about 30 feet from any entrance ramp to the beach to the harder packed sand. My ebike has Schwalbe Super Moto X tires, which are smooth and 2.4 inches wide. The do not handle well in the soft stuff, but who wants to ride in the soft sand anyhow? It flings sand into every nook and cranny of your bike, even with fenders. Meanwhile, when on the pavement the tires are extremely quiet and smooth rolling. Before this bike I would ride an old mountain bike in the same places - the smoother tires are preferred for most of the ride. The mountain bike tires were only 2.25" wide but had knobs on them - they handled soft sand better but vibrated more everywhere else. I cannot imagine needing 4" + widths.

Suspension is helpful because you cannot help but run into potholes or even divits on the beach. Front suspension on any $2000 ebike will be okay, but not great. But it should suffice. Seatpost suspension is nice (I have a Thudbuster LT) but can run $150-250 - quite a chunk out of a $2000 budget. The posts can be purchased aftermarket. Cheaper options around $50-80 should do a good job too.

Replacement handlebars or stem risers are cheap to buy and easy to replace - just make sure that there is enough length to the cables to raise the bars. This will allow you to sit more upright if it turns out that you don't sit as upright on the bike as you might have wanted.

In flat Florida any kind of brakes should suffice. Hydraulic discs are very nice but usually found on pricier bikes.

Get the longest fenders you can find. Sand comes off the back of the rear tire and may make it up to your back. It will also stick to the tire long enough to fall on the chain right behind the seatpost. It will also come off the front wheel right onto the chainring. Use a dry chain lube, not oil, and less sand should end up in your chain. I use Boeshield T-9. Goes on liquid then dries. Very little dirt builds up on the chain.

I like speed. You may not. Decide if you want a 20 mph bike or a 28 mph bike. Speed usually equals more money.

Take a look at what kind of sensors trigger the motor. Cadence versus torque makes a real difference in how the bike rides. My year old RIde1Up 700 cadence based bike doesn't really care how much I pedal, only that I do pedal. My newer Ride1Up Limited is torque sensor based and feels more like a real bike to me. It takes more effort on my part than the 700.

Bike brands that have looked good to me in past research (mostly based on value/$$ and features I liked) that should have bikes in your price range:
Ride1Up
Rize
Juiced
Mountains to Sea bikes (M2S Bikes)
Charge Bikes

A retailer that has a lot of good bikes is bikesdirect.com. Like everyone else, they are often on backorder. They use a lot of Shimano motors on their bikes, which you won't usually find in the $1500-2000 price range. Shimano is very high quality, and much better than the inexpensive Chinese stuff, but it won't go more than 20 mph whereas the Chinese stuff is not limited for top speed. Shimano will use torque sensors and pedal like a regular bike, only easier. I would consider this to be a better quality bike than the direct to consumer Chinese bikes listed above - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...cycles/ebikes-electric-bikes-elite-eurban.htm

Final note, these bikes all get heavy. I toss mine in the back of my truck occasionally, and its a chore. Think about whether you are ever going to transport them and how. Racks can get real expensive too.

Have fun researching.

Thank you for all of the information. I have some research to do!
Although I mentioned sand, the amount of time I actually spend on sand is probably 1% of all my riding. Usually going from one place to another. Currently, I have a Jamis Citizen 2 with narrow tires and I get through it (it's not fun, but I do it.). 95% of my riding is on the road or compacted trails.

My perspective is from many years of riding mountain bikes on single track trails, and another thousand miles or so on an ebike in Daytona Beach Florida. In DB I ride a combination of pavement and on the beach.

People see a question about Florida and instantly go to the fat tire discussion. The only loose sand I ride on is about 30 feet from any entrance ramp to the beach to the harder packed sand. My ebike has Schwalbe Super Moto X tires, which are smooth and 2.4 inches wide. The do not handle well in the soft stuff, but who wants to ride in the soft sand anyhow? It flings sand into every nook and cranny of your bike, even with fenders. Meanwhile, when on the pavement the tires are extremely quiet and smooth rolling. Before this bike I would ride an old mountain bike in the same places - the smoother tires are preferred for most of the ride. The mountain bike tires were only 2.25" wide but had knobs on them - they handled soft sand better but vibrated more everywhere else. I cannot imagine needing 4" + widths.

Suspension is helpful because you cannot help but run into potholes or even divits on the beach. Front suspension on any $2000 ebike will be okay, but not great. But it should suffice. Seatpost suspension is nice (I have a Thudbuster LT) but can run $150-250 - quite a chunk out of a $2000 budget. The posts can be purchased aftermarket. Cheaper options around $50-80 should do a good job too.

Replacement handlebars or stem risers are cheap to buy and easy to replace - just make sure that there is enough length to the cables to raise the bars. This will allow you to sit more upright if it turns out that you don't sit as upright on the bike as you might have wanted.

In flat Florida any kind of brakes should suffice. Hydraulic discs are very nice but usually found on pricier bikes.

Get the longest fenders you can find. Sand comes off the back of the rear tire and may make it up to your back. It will also stick to the tire long enough to fall on the chain right behind the seatpost. It will also come off the front wheel right onto the chainring. Use a dry chain lube, not oil, and less sand should end up in your chain. I use Boeshield T-9. Goes on liquid then dries. Very little dirt builds up on the chain.

I like speed. You may not. Decide if you want a 20 mph bike or a 28 mph bike. Speed usually equals more money.

Take a look at what kind of sensors trigger the motor. Cadence versus torque makes a real difference in how the bike rides. My year old RIde1Up 700 cadence based bike doesn't really care how much I pedal, only that I do pedal. My newer Ride1Up Limited is torque sensor based and feels more like a real bike to me. It takes more effort on my part than the 700.

Bike brands that have looked good to me in past research (mostly based on value/$$ and features I liked) that should have bikes in your price range:
Ride1Up
Rize
Juiced
Mountains to Sea bikes (M2S Bikes)
Charge Bikes

A retailer that has a lot of good bikes is bikesdirect.com. Like everyone else, they are often on backorder. They use a lot of Shimano motors on their bikes, which you won't usually find in the $1500-2000 price range. Shimano is very high quality, and much better than the inexpensive Chinese stuff, but it won't go more than 20 mph whereas the Chinese stuff is not limited for top speed. Shimano will use torque sensors and pedal like a regular bike, only easier. I would consider this to be a better quality bike than the direct to consumer Chinese bikes listed above - http://www.bikesdirect.com/products...cycles/ebikes-electric-bikes-elite-eurban.htm

Final note, these bikes all get heavy. I toss mine in the back of my truck occasionally, and its a chore. Think about whether you are ever going to transport them and how. Racks can get real expensive too.

Have fun researching.

This excellent information. Thank you!

I've looked at bikes from VoltBike, Aventon, Rad, Ride1up, Schwinn, Juiced, Surface 604, Trek, Charge, and Gazelle Pedego, and Rize. All online. Now I'm really confused! :)
I like the VoltBike offerings (Bravo, Outback and Enduro), the Ride1up 500 and the Surface 604 Shred.
Appreciate any thoughts on these.

Ask yourself: will you be upset if something goes wrong with "mail order"? Do you enjoy playing the warranty blame game all summer while everyone else in your town is ebiking happy?

Your LBS (Local Bike Shop) can help you here.

I'm buying in Pittsburgh for a house in Sanibel, FL.

I haven't tried any other bikes on sand, so take this for what it's worth: I've been many miles on sand with my Rad Rover. Air down and go. The only trouble I've had is soft dry sugar sand, but it's hard to even walk on.

TT

I probably should not have mentioned sand. I hardly ever encounter it and if I do it just happens to show up in the middle of a trail I'm on. I'm not planning to be in the sand.

Last edited:
I've looked at bikes from VoltBike, Aventon, Rad, Ride1up, Schwinn, Juiced, Surface 604, Trek, Charge, and Gazelle Pedego, and Rize. All online. Now I'm really confused! :)
I like the VoltBike offerings (Bravo, Outback and Enduro), the Ride1up 500 and the Surface 604 Shred.
Appreciate any thoughts on these.
Perhaps you can answer a few questions first -

What is your real price point (you've got $1300 bikes up to $2500 bikes listed above)?
What style do you want? Commuter? Folder? Fat tire? Cruiser?
How much effort do you want to expend as you ride? Some folks just want a motor for a little help when the going gets tough, while others basically just want to sit on a bike that moves without any help from them. Which are you?
How far do you want to ride between charges?
Are you going to pick the bike up off the ground? Perhaps going to a second floor apt/condo? Onto a pickup truck or a bike rack?
Do you want to go faster than 20 mph?
How quickly do want the bike? How much more are you willing to pay to have it now?
Do you expect to fix it yourself?

If you answer these questions you can probably shorten the list very quickly.

Perhaps you can answer a few questions first -

What is your real price point (you've got $1300 bikes up to $2500 bikes listed above)?
What style do you want? Commuter? Folder? Fat tire? Cruiser?
How much effort do you want to expend as you ride? Some folks just want a motor for a little help when the going gets tough, while others basically just want to sit on a bike that moves without any help from them. Which are you?
How far do you want to ride between charges?
Are you going to pick the bike up off the ground? Perhaps going to a second floor apt/condo? Onto a pickup truck or a bike rack?
Do you want to go faster than 20 mph?
How quickly do want the bike? How much more are you willing to pay to have it now?
Do you expect to fix it yourself?

If you answer these questions you can probably shorten the list very quickly.

All great questions. I'll give the answers and then what I picked at the end. Hopefully, I ended up at the right place. :)

>Price - that was a moving target. Started at $1,500, then $2,000 then $2,000-ish.
>Style - I was looking for a hybrid bike. Something where I sit upright. Something good on pavement but also ok with some light trails.
>Effort - I don't mind pedaling but sometimes I need a break.
>Distance - No more than 10 miles usually. But that could change now that I have an ebike.
>Weight - The only lifting would be to put it into a van/car if I go somewhere but most riding would be local.
>Speed - don't know the answer to this one. I do like speed but not sure I "need" it.
>Availability - I want it now! LOL. I'm ok waiting a little bit because the bike is being delivered to my vacation home and I won't be there until next month.
>Repairs - I will do repairs myself, to the extent possible.

Having said all that, I pulled the trigger on a Surface 604 Shred last night. I hope I made a good choice!

I really like my Ride1Up 700. The newer generations like mine use power based assist rather than the speed based assist on the older generations that acted like cruise control, like a Espin or Aventon. So, I can get a great work out with the 700 and never have that feeling like I'm dragging a boat anchor when I want to pedal faster and harder to ride at a higher speed without having to change my assist level. Assist levels are customizable to the percentage level you want for each one as well as the range of levels you want to use. Ride1Up no longer sells a torque sensor assist bike, but the Prodigy will have one and will be available for pre-order later this year for delivery in 2022. Of course, that won't help you now! lol The LMT'D may return to its torque sensor glory next year also. Enjoy. For a lower cost, you could consider the Ride1Up 500 or Core-5.

Hey Soundchasr, great choice. Its looks like they've done a very good job of selecting parts for the bike. Plus its a torque sensor bike, so it should ride pretty much like a real bicycle but easier to pedal.

I think you will find yourself riding further and faster than you expect. My limiting factor is my butt, not the mileage.

If the bike does not allow you to sit upright enough, look into stem risers. I've done that with both my bikes and its way more comfortable. Just make sure you have enough extra length in the cables.

If it proves to be heavier than you'd like to pick up, removing the battery may make the difference. They are usually 8-10 lbs.

I understand the desire to select from what is available now. I did the same thing in late Dec and ended up with another Ride1Up because it was available for immediate shipment.

Have fun with your new toy. Please take some time and tell us what you think of it after you've had it for a while.

Hey Soundchasr, great choice. Its looks like they've done a very good job of selecting parts for the bike. Plus its a torque sensor bike, so it should ride pretty much like a real bicycle but easier to pedal.

I think you will find yourself riding further and faster than you expect. My limiting factor is my butt, not the mileage.

If the bike does not allow you to sit upright enough, look into stem risers. I've done that with both my bikes and its way more comfortable. Just make sure you have enough extra length in the cables.

If it proves to be heavier than you'd like to pick up, removing the battery may make the difference. They are usually 8-10 lbs.

I understand the desire to select from what is available now. I did the same thing in late Dec and ended up with another Ride1Up because it was available for immediate shipment.

Have fun with your new toy. Please take some time and tell us what you think of it after you've had it for a while.

I'm right there with you on the butt being the limiting factor in my riding. I ordered the suspension seat post and the stem extension. Just need to find a decent seat. ......and get the bike. :)

Back