Ride1up roadster ghost

Anthony r

Just received a ride1up roadster ghost. For $900 I wasn't expecting much and it only being a single speed I was a little concerned but it has plenty of power to get up hills. I do have a stromer st1 but I was looking for something else to commute to work with and I think this will work for such a cheap price it was worth a shot. A couple of little issues from shipping and ride1up took care of it immediately. There is a front fender I just haven't put it on yet waiting for a new light bracket

Attachments

• 20190402_185157.jpg
    20190402_185157.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1,792
I'm wondering if you've had enough time to determine how the bike performs? I've been thinking about getting the roadster ghost vs 500 series city as I like the style and the ease of the one speed. Have you been able to test the top speed? I've heard the 500 series city doesn't quite have the high gears to reach the 26mph top rated speed and I'm thinking this could be the same with the single speed. As much as I like the single speed aspect, I'm worried it might be too much to pedal if the battery goes dead or bad for some reason. Any thoughts about these things?

I'm wondering if you've had enough time to determine how the bike performs? I've been thinking about getting the roadster ghost vs 500 series city as I like the style and the ease of the one speed. Have you been able to test the top speed? I've heard the 500 series city doesn't quite have the high gears to reach the 26mph top rated speed and I'm thinking this could be the same with the single speed. As much as I like the single speed aspect, I'm worried it might be too much to pedal if the battery goes dead or bad for some reason. Any thoughts about these things?
It would suck to have to just pedal with no power like most ebikes. Getting up a hill would be a nightmare without power. With power goes right up a hill first thing I tried when I went on first ride I have a few steep hills on my commute. I have reached top speed with no problem. Two things to consider about this bike it is meant for a shorter rider i am 6'2 and I had to by risers for handlebars. I also heard the 500 is a much more comfortable ride as the ghost is supposed to be a value bike. I bought it just for the look of it but was surprised by the way it felt riding. The throttle gets to 20 mph quick. Also the battery doesn't come off bike it is hidden in the frame you have to charge it on the bike but I knew that before my purchase so keep that in mind. The display is kinda small but I really don't care about that anyway. I would say bike is good for short commutes or just going to do errands. For $900 it well exceeded my expectations.

Since I have a Ride1up 500 mtb I can certify that the bike gets to 24-25mph on throttle alone with a full battery. To 26mph barely and only if you change the chainring to 48t and the freewheel to 11T-whatever (like I have) and you pedal hard with a full battery. Have no idea why Ride1up changed the 25mph to 26mph in the specs since the motor and the controller is the same. I think they only changed the chainring to 46T from 44T but IMO that's still not enough and you still have to pedal hard as the bike will only assist to 25MPH and that's with a full battery. Once the battery is something like 80% or lower, it is going to be hard to get that 25MPH but very doable to get 23-24mph with throttle alone. 50% of battery and you are down to 22-23mph again on throttle alone. Nevertheless, those are great numbers for a $999 ebike (I think it is now $100 more expensive).

Last edited:
BTW, why in the hell Ride1up still does NOT have it's own section in EBR where all these threads could be under one Ride1up banner is beyond me.

Thank you both for the great tips, expectations and information. This will most definitely help in my decision-making.

Thank you both for the great tips, expectations and information. This will most definitely help in my decision-making.
If raw speed is important to you look also at the Aventon Pace 500 and Aventon Pace 500 Step-Through for $1399. Advantages include true class 3 speed of 28mph, better gearing (11-36T 8 speed vs 14-28T 7 speed on the Ride1up), 10% better battery so better range (48V 11.6Ah vs 48V 10.4Ah), better tires, better hydraulic brakes which will easily add +$150 on the Ride1up, a much better LCD display on the Avanton (+$55 on the Ride1up), plus 2 different colors (deep black and SoCal Sand) and 3 different sizes (small/medium/large) plus a step-through (small/medium) and 2 additional colors (Chalk White and Seleste) for a better bike fit. BE AWARE that the Aventon does NOT come with a headlight or a tail light where the Ride1up comes with a headlight but NO tail light. However you can get a better brighter and flashing 400 lumen USB rechargeable headlight AND tail light for only $19 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FZ5H124/ Also the Aventon does NOT have a suspension fork. The Ride1up does have a suspension fork Suntour XCT (doesn't even have a lockout) but is the most entry suspension fork you can get (around $60). If you want to add a suspension fork the Aventon has a tapered head tube so you have a lot of options to upgrade. Also the Aventon charger is a 3Amp charger versus the 2A of the Ride1up which means it will charge your battery in less than 4hrs (11.6/3=3.87 hrs) instead of 5+hrs for the Ride1up (10.4/2 = 5.2hrs) .

Also to add 3rd party fenders and rack will be much easier and less costly on the Aventon as they include rack and fender mounting points where on the ride1up you will need $30 add-on items to use 3rd party fenders/rack or spend +$100 for the Ride1up fender/rack package which IMO is not very good the fenders or the rack (that is why I put 3rd party fenders and Ibera rack on mine). When I bought mine on Black Friday the price was $999 and included the LCD display. But with the price increase and no LCD, if I was buying today I would probably get the Aventon Pace 500 Large size (I'm 6'2"). Just my honest 2cents. Both however are very good ebikes and you can't go wrong with either one. Also Kevin of Ride1up gives FANTASTIC SECOND TO NONE VERY FAST customer service for any issues. I've put 500 miles on mine and other than some shipping damage when new on the crank arm and rear wheel which Kevin took care of it right away, I had no problems with it so far. And after doing all the upgrades to it (put new Schwalbe Big Ben Plus tires, new fenders, new Ibera rack, new 48T chainring, new 11-32T freewheel, new integrated tail light) I LOVE IT!
https://www.aventon.com/pages/aventon-pace-500
https://www.aventon.com/pages/pace-500-step-through-ebike

BTW price wise they are very similar if you include all the similar options: $1100+150(hydraulic brake)+$55(LCD display)+$30parts for 3rd party rack/fenders+10% bigger battery+change gearing to 11-36T = $1399 vs $1399class3 + suspension fork ($60)

Last edited:
This is fantastic info, I haven’t even looked at the Aventon 500 but you bet I will be now. The speed isn’t a make it or break it for me, but I do like to know the specs are accurate and the bike is capable of that speed. And I want a good bike without breaking the bank. I’m planning on using it as much as possible for my commute to work, which is around 14 miles round trip with a couple hills along the way. It’ll be nice not to get to work red faced and sweaty (I’m commuting a couple days now with a single speed).

This is fantastic info, I haven’t even looked at the Aventon 500 but you bet I will be now. The speed isn’t a make it or break it for me, but I do like to know the specs are accurate and the bike is capable of that speed. And I want a good bike without breaking the bank. I’m planning on using it as much as possible for my commute to work, which is around 14 miles round trip with a couple hills along the way. It’ll be nice not to get to work red faced and sweaty (I’m commuting a couple days now with a single speed).
Here is the most recent Aventon Pace 500 review by Court... Also be aware that the Aventon has a lot more work to put together than the Ride1up... here are the instructions for the Aventon. By comparison the Ride1up was a child's play to put it together and very fast (10-15min).

Back