Roadster/Gravelster Aftermarket Improved LCD Display!!

FYI - I was able to take a look at a new Roadster, and it looks like the stock LCD display has better visibility with polarized sunglasses than the one that came with my 2021 model. The power button with the new one is black in color, compared to the prior orange one.

Still think the EggRider display is a great upgrade for those that want to customize and have more data. Had a great ride today with it, and have found out some more interesting bits of information:
- The lowest possible power setting for the EggRider provides ~20 watts
- If you go past the maximum speed limit for pedal assist, it doesn't go to zero, but instead still puts out 20 watts
- The maximum pedal assist can put out 550+ watts
- If your battery is in the lower voltage range, and you are using the maximum assist and get "voltage sag"... the voltage can drop ~10% under heavy load and then shut down the assist. And this will happen temporarily, dropping down to 31.6 volts. If you use lower assist levels, the voltage does not drop as much, and you might have any voltage sag issues (until battery is getting close to depleted).
Any updates on your experience with the EggRider? I assume from the pictures you have the V1 version?

I am interested in the ability to adjust PAS settings for my Gravel roadster. I have the throttle version, and according to the King Meter manual I should be able to adjust PAS levels (%), but all of the advanced settings menus listed in the manual are non existent on the one that came with the bike.

This thing seems like the bee's knees...

Any updates on your experience with the EggRider? I assume from the pictures you have the V1 version?

I am interested in the ability to adjust PAS settings for my Gravel roadster. I have the throttle version, and according to the King Meter manual I should be able to adjust PAS levels (%), but all of the advanced settings menus listed in the manual are non existent on the one that came with the bike.

This thing seems like the bee's knees...
Out of 7000+ miles with my V2 Roadster, the last 2000 miles have been with the EggRider, and it has transformed it as close as I’ll ever get to a perfect e-bike for me if I were to guess. Sure, I wouldn't mind a full carbon frame version that’s 24 lbs, but don’t think I’ll see that anytime soon.

The adjustability is really what has made this optimal. Among the problems it fixes:
Ghost pedaling - with many e-bikes, PAS might be too much, and you’re just spinning the cranks. I set my “ECO” PAS range to have a max assist speed of 15 mph, so once I get above that speed it drops down to 20 watts assist.
PAS levels - too much? too little? I have dialed in the specific watts assist I want, for each level, tailored for my riding style and desired boost or range
Quick shortcuts- I set the ECO PAS range to 15mph max speed assist, and the SPORT PAS range to 28mph max speed assist (and keep SPORT PAS level at 4 or 5 (out of 5). I can normally keep it in ECO PAS range, and then pushing one button (M) I can temporarily use high assist for a big hill, passing other riders, and high speed sprint runs.

And so much more is possible, given the many variables you can adjust! :)

Highly recommended!!

Note that I have the Roadster and not the Gravel version bike, but from the other threads it seems like the EggRider would be compatible. And you’d lose your throttle. But I think it’s a worthwhile minimal cost, to transform your bike into something even better.

Great info, thank you!

I see from the config images you posted that 41.8v is 100% and 33.79v is 0%, with low voltage protection set to 31v. Still using the same settings?

Also it list's the PAS levels in %, not watts. Is that something you were able to change or does the display just show 20w when you are at PAS 1 (5%), when riding?

I don't use the throttle at all really, so that's no big deal, but I understand the controller on the gravel V2 is different than your Roadster. At least I assume it is since I thought I read people cannot upgrade to the throttle display...

I just don't want to end up ordering it and having it not work :)

Great info, thank you!

I see from the config images you posted that 41.8v is 100% and 33.79v is 0%, with low voltage protection set to 31v. Still using the same settings?

Also it list's the PAS levels in %, not watts. Is that something you were able to change or does the display just show 20w when you are at PAS 1 (5%), when riding?

I don't use the throttle at all really, so that's no big deal, but I understand the controller on the gravel V2 is different than your Roadster. At least I assume it is since I thought I read people cannot upgrade to the throttle display...

I just don't want to end up ordering it and having it not work :)
Glad to help. Yes, still using the same settings. Not sure if different values for 100% and 0% would work, but these settings seem to work good enough. Was trial and error for me, to get where I ended up. The watts output is the real time display value, when pedaling and riding. Won’t see that when setting up, but is when you are on the road, and based on my experience. Lots more info is displayed on the screen, and you optionally can connect to your smartphone for displaying too.

From what the other threads have said, it looks like you can’t upgrade to a throttle, but you can go the other direction (to an SW2 or EggRider display).

Last edited:
@PSm I am looking at purchasing one of these EggRider displays; however, when I am looking at the description, it says:
Not compatible with dual battery systems based on diodes. If you see the Display Over Volt message please stop using the display immediately.

Do you have the extra battery on your roadster? If so, do you get any error messages on your display?

Exciting news! Even though Ride1UP and Eggrider could not confirm compatibility with the Roadster, and I got conflicting information, I took a risk and ordered and EggRider Lishui version LCD replacement from https://eggrider.com/

It took a lot of trial and error, and messing around, but I think I got it working! LCD display seems brighter and readable with my polarized sunglasses, and the display has more data and is customizable via Bluetooth with an Eggrider app (in my case, the Android app). Need to do a bit more testing to validate accuracy, but for me it's worth it if just for a more visible display.

Notes:
I have a mid-2021 Roadster v2.
I ordered from Eggrider the Lishui variant
Had to do a wire transfer, and get it shipped from the UK
Took a couple of weeks to arrive
After receiving, set up via Android app, as a Bafang controller, changed default 9 PAS levels to 5 PAS levels
Verified or set up EggRider Display and Bafang settings, 36 v, nominal current 7a, limit current 15a, undervoltage 31 volts, battery range 41.8 v to 33.8 v (?), max speed assist 39 km/h

No guarantee if it'll work for you, but I'm happy to have gotten it pending final testing!
Hi hoping could help me I'm looking for a controller and display to change the pedal assist percentage just like you have,my bike is a 48v 250watt 17.5ah fat bike as seen in the pictures.also this my controller,is there such a kit for my bike please if you know or have an idea it would be great.
Also the display I have I have attached.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-10-02-12-23-30-405_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-10-02-12-23-30-405_com.android.chrome.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 63
  • Screenshot_2023-09-21-12-22-51-826_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-09-21-12-22-51-826_com.alibaba.intl.android.apps.poseidon.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20231007_094018.jpg
    IMG_20231007_094018.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 67
@PSm I am looking at purchasing one of these EggRider displays; however, when I am looking at the description, it says:

Do you have the extra battery on your roadster? If so, do you get any error messages on your display?
I do use the external battery, and I had some discussion with Ride1Up and EggRider support. I have only had an error message a few times over the past 2000+ miles with the EggRider display. If I remember, it really only happened when under heavy load during continuous climbing and high assist. Had to turn off display for maybe a minute, and after that all was good 👍

I can’t imagine not using the EggRider, it’s that useful and effective (for my type of riding and extended trips of 50-60+ miles and including a lot of climbing).

Last edited:
I do use the external battery, and I had some discussion with Ride1Up and EggRider support. I have only had an error message a few times over the past 2000+ miles with the EggRider display. If I remember, it really only happened when under heavy load during continuous climbing and high assist. Had to turn off display for maybe a minute, and after that all was good 👍

I can’t imagine not using the EggRider, it’s that useful and effective (for my type of riding and extended trips of 50-60+ miles and including a lot of climbing).
Thanks for the info. Someone in this forum has an EggRider for sale at a reasonable price, so I will grab it. Once I have it installed I will come back with some more questions about the settings you are using.

The only problem I have with the display on my Gravelster is that it is small and hard to read in the daytime. So I just keep it in PAS 2 or 3 and use it as an exercise bike. I do have a Topeak Quick rack adapter if I want to take my bag, but it's too heavy and I gotta really swing my right leg to mount the bike. That move alone has almost put me out of commission!

Thanks for the info. Someone in this forum has an EggRider for sale at a reasonable price, so I will grab it. Once I have it installed I will come back with some more questions about the settings you are using.
Make sure it’s Lishui variant version, so it is the right connector! AND, the EggRider is tied to an email address for registration and the app? Might need to double check that you can use it without issue. Have all the settings up above in previous posts :)

Last edited:
I don't have what the R1U default settings are, but my "seat of the pants" measurements are that the stock R1U values are more like 10% current, 25%, 50%, 75%, 100% for PAS1-5. But just a rough guess. I'm trying out different settings to try to maximize mileage, with some all out sprints, and generally maximize my fitness 😀

Just came from another ride, and found that in the EggRider app I was also able to increase the max speed limit for still getting motor assist. Bumped up limit to 28 mph (from 24 mph), and it was still giving motor assist up to almost 26 mph (at which point my cadence was just too high rpm to keep going faster on flat ground)

p.s.- I can also set to 9 PAS levels, or 3, but for me having 5 may be just about right.

@PSm You mentioned that you were able to change the max speed limit for still getting motor assist. Can you tell me where that setting is? I have seen some different places that mention Max. Speed: One is (on the app) under Display Settings> Max Speed Road and Max Speed OffRoad and under Bagang pedal settings I see a "Speed Limit" setting, but I am not sure those are what I am looking for.

@PSm You mentioned that you were able to change the max speed limit for still getting motor assist. Can you tell me where that setting is? I have seen some different places that mention Max. Speed: One is (on the app) under Display Settings> Max Speed Road and Max Speed OffRoad and under Bagang pedal settings I see a "Speed Limit" setting, but I am not sure those are what I am looking for.
If I recall correctly, from the above screenshots in an earlier post, it’s the Max Speed Road and Max Speed Off Road.

In my “final” setup though , I changed the Mode Labels to “Eco/Sport” modes instead of “Road/OffRoad” labels and set the max assist speed for those modes to 25 kph and 45 kph. And changed to 5 PAS levels instead of 9 levels, since I customized the assist at each level to my needs.

I would use Eco mode and low PAS levels for trying to extend my max range and Hypermile, but be able with one button press of the M button, go to Sport mode for higher speed assist and a higher PAS setting. And press M again to go right back to previous Eco low assist setting.

Back