Ride1Up 700 Series Chain Falling Off Front Chain Ring

ebikefranky

I have a Ride1Up Step through bike and the chain falls off the front chain ring especially when I hit slight bumps. Has anyone else had this issue? I brought the bike to my local bike shop after Ride1Up support told me to remove a couple chain links. The bike shop looked over the bike and discovered that the chain line is off. They told me the chain was at the correct length and they wouldnt recommend taking links out. The told me the chain length is so far off that there isnt anything they can do and it appears to be an issue with the design. I am very upset since I spent a good amount of money on this bike. Has anyone else had this issue?

I have a Ride1Up Step through bike and the chain falls off the front chain ring especially when I hit slight bumps. Has anyone else had this issue? I brought the bike to my local bike shop after Ride1Up support told me to remove a couple chain links. The bike shop looked over the bike and discovered that the chain line is off. They told me the chain was at the correct length and they wouldnt recommend taking links out. The told me the chain length is so far off that there isnt anything they can do and it appears to be an issue with the design. I am very upset since I spent a good amount of money on this bike. Has anyone else had this issue?
Hey Franky

It is possible the chain line is incorrect. It could be just one person's opinion at the LBS. It's fairly common to remove links to minimize chain drops. Try using this to be sure you have the proper length chain.

Even if the chain is the correct length suggested, people still remove links for more tension. Mountain bikers do this all the time to minimize chain drop. If you do this, remove one at a time, go for a bumpy ride and cycle through the gears several times. Repeat if needed.

Another option is installing a front chain guide. This only works on bikes with a single chainring up front. It works similar to a front derailleur. Most mount on the seat-tube. If you have a front derailleur you might be able to adjust it to minimize chain drops.

There are ways to correct a chain line issue, but that's much more involved and expensive. The above are fairly standard practices.

Good luck.

Had someone bring theirs to my shop. Same issue. Your LBS is correct. The one I saw was off too. You may want to try changing the front chain ring to one with a narrow/wide. I'm surprised we aren't hearing more about this. Now that there appears to be more than just one, it is likely a design flaw.

Thank you for all of your comments. It is very common as my friend just got the same Ride1Up 700 series last week and sure enough her chain popped off as well. Another thing I noticed about the bikes is the website specs the bike as having 7 gears and the two that we have came with 8 speeds which adds another ring on the rear gear cassette and im not sure if that's keeping the chainline off as well.

Yes, my son's chain on his 500 has been falling off the front ring when going over small bumps. The last time it happened he crashed. The chain had bern checked by a bike mechanic. The bike is new. I e mailed Ride1up and they suggested having the chain rechecked and that we might need to remove a link or two. I bought a chain guide. Not sure yet if it will keep the chain from falling off. If not I guess I will get a new front narrow wide chain ring and chain.

Last edited:
Yes, my son's chain on his 500 has been falling off the front ring when going over small bumps. The last time it happened he crashed. The chain had bern checked by a bime mechanic. The bike is new. I e mailed Ride1up and they suggested having the chwin rechecked and tat we might need to remove a link or two. I bought a chain guide. Not sure yet if it will keep the chain from falling off. If not I guess I will get a new front narrow wide chain ring and chain.

We have two 700's that we got in June. So far neither chain has fallen off. I have thought many times that the chain line is bad - it sticks out way too far to the right. The only time the chainline is parallel to the bike is when you are in one of the two or three smallest rings in the back. One day I am going to remove the chainring and cranks and see if I can remove the bottom bracket. With any luck the bottom bracket will be adjustable. In my opinion, the bottom bracket is just too wide. It could be 10-15 mm narrower.

Forgive my ignorance but who is GenX? Is he someone that can help solve this problem with my chain chainline? Maybe he is someone who can explain why I purchased a bike with 7 speeds and received one with 8 speeds?

Forgive my ignorance but who is GenX? Is he someone that can help solve this problem with my chain chainline? Maybe he is someone who can explain why I purchased a bike with 7 speeds and received one with 8 speeds?

Sorry... I'm referring to @GenXrider... he is a proponent of Ride1Up bikes even though he has yet to order one and extols their benefits over all other similarly priced bikes. :)

A few people have reported the chain coming off on occasion, but others have no issue.

Kevin from Ride1Up posted these possible problems:
- your gears are likely not indexed properly, so they are close to the edge.
- derailleur hanger is bent angling the chain off the freewheel
- your derailleur has lost tension. Your chain may be sagging and needs to be tighten or the derailleur needs to be adjusted.

Another comment:
You probably need to adjust the “B screw” on the rear derailleur. Have a bike shop do it for you, you shouldn’t remove chain links.

Also see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/264729534163214/permalink/570276013608563/

Last edited:
Thanks for the help GenXrider. Once again as stated above. I brought the bike to my local bike shop and they checked everything out to see if the gears were aligned,or the derailleur and hanger may have been bent but they are not.Chain is not sagging and is the proper length. The 'B" screw is properly adjusted and the distance is correct.

I checked that website and yes I am finding out that all of these bikes have the same problems. Like I said above my friend has the same bike and her chain is falling off too.

Reactions: BET
We have two 700's that we got in June. So far neither chain has fallen off. I have thought many times that the chain line is bad - it sticks out way too far to the right. The only time the chainline is parallel to the bike is when you are in one of the two or three smallest rings in the back. One day I am going to remove the chainring and cranks and see if I can remove the bottom bracket. With any luck the bottom bracket will be adjustable. In my opinion, the bottom bracket is just too wide. It could be 10-15 mm narrower.
Yep. You nailed it. Bottom bracket crank shaft is far too long. Design flaw. Would need to change out entire bottom bracket assembly and replace it with one that has a shorter shaft. Not sure that entirely solves the issue though. Something is off with the overall design, as I looked at estimating what would happen after taking off chain ring, and seeing if shorter shaft would solve the issue entirely. Wasn't too sure it would, but certainly it sticks out too far away from the bikes bottom bracket edge.

Thanks for your added input. That's exactly what my LBS is saying as well. And they called it a design flaw too.I am going through a nightmare with their customer service right now. They completely ignore these facts that I am presenting them with. They will not admit to a design flaw and all I get is requests for more information and pictures/videos in the one email I receive each day. Their customer service is terrible and so slow.

A few people have reported the chain coming off on occasion, but others have no issue.

Kevin from Ride1Up posted these possible problems:
- your gears are likely not indexed properly, so they are close to the edge.
- derailleur hanger is bent angling the chain off the freewheel
- your derailleur has lost tension. Your chain may be sagging and needs to be tighten or the derailleur needs to be adjusted.

Another comment:
You probably need to adjust the “B screw” on the rear derailleur. Have a bike shop do it for you, you shouldn’t remove chain links.

Also see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/264729534163214/permalink/570276013608563/
Sad response if in fact he actually investigated the problem thoroughly. Did he even ask for any pictures of the crank shaft area or chain ring, or an overhead view of the chain line ? For a first level response, without seeing anything, those would be some possible causes. But with so many people reporting this, and I know my one customer who brought theirs in to my shop, did indeed contact R1Up about the same issues, it actually sounds like he barely has more than just a superficial grasp of bikes in general. Or is taking standoffish posture to avoid assuming responsibility for correcting the issue - since it would likely involve them contacting the chinese factory they've contracted with to build these ebikes for them, and a much more involved manufacturing re-design than they are willing or able to afford. Its an on-going industry issue with these brands that are on line, when something more than just cosmetic comes up, that presents a recurring warranty issue or design flaw, and they have no control over the factory they've contracted with to correct the problem. Maybe see if they have anyone technical on their staff that can have a worthwhile discussion and someone who is willing to work with you to actually resolve the problem ?

I experienced this issue with one brand that I carried a few years ago, and they took immediate measures to address it, and had a re-designed crank/bottom bracket assembly back out within a couple months. It had occurred after a recent model makeover from the prior year. Fortunately we caught it early enough in the builds so that not too many of these got out in the field. Wasn't fun to deal with, but it did get addressed. They had a very good rapport with their factory, frequent visits to China, although they were heavily involved in design and engineering from the beginning of their company founding, and not just putting a label on a chinese designed and made ebike, as way too many of these on-line brands are doing these days. Lots of 'white label' importers like R1Up out there, confusing people by providing the illusion they are a real bike brand, and involved in design, engineering, quality control, etc. Of the more than 130 'brands' coming into the US, I would estimate that at least half of them, if not considerably more, are simply importing and slapping their brand logo on an ebike that was designed and made by a third party, who is likely shipping the same ebike that is a copy of a real design, to many different 'white label' firms, and only altering things like battery capacity, battery cell OEM, derailleur choice, brake choice, grips, saddles, colors, etc. It'd be a lot easier for the ebike consumer if so many did not exist, or if they actually disclosed they were merely putting their logo on a frame and overall bike that was not designed by them. Also disclosing they have no engineers, or ebike mechanical or electronics experts on their own staff, would also materially help buyers separate the 'wheat from the chaff.' Over time, these also rans will be eliminated by market forces, but that takes awhile, and unwitting consumers can get duped and burned pretty badly.

I haven't even seen one of these, but if the issue is regarding the chain coming off the FRONT sprocket, I can't help but wonder why somebody might suggest an issue with the derailleur? Anything going on back there is going to define shifting issues, no? If it's shifting OK, and the chain is coming off the FRONT sprocket, it's not likely a derailleur issue. Chain tension maybe, but that's not rocket science.

Point being, I agree with Mike above. This is about an inexperienced tech providing garbage tech advice - for whatever reason.

What about a double chain ring guard? I know it wouldn't actually fix an alignment isue, but could it effectively mask the issue with a simple to install mod? Something like this-

I checked that website and yes I am finding out that all of these bikes have the same problems. Like I said above my friend has the same bike and her chain is falling off too.
There are 1200 members in the Ride1Up group, and there have only been a handful of posts where someone has reported the chain coming off. So, it's not a common issue. I suspect the suggestions in the previous post take care of most of the problems, just adjustments, as most people are not reporting any problems and are very happy with the bike. I've only seen 1 Ride1Up bike up for sale, and it wasn't because of any issue with the bike. Ride1Up support is known to be very good and responsive.

Edit: One of the commenters (linked to in the FB link above) who said he chain had been falling off said the chainring looked warped/bent, so Ride1Up set him up with a new chainring, and the problem looks resolved.

Last edited:
There are 1200 members in the Ride1Up group, and there have only been a handful of posts where someone has reported the chain coming off. So, it's not a common issue. I suspect the suggestions in the previous post take care of most of the problems, just adjustments, as most people are not reporting any problems and are very happy with the bike. I've only seen 1 Ride1Up bike up for sale, and it wasn't because of any issue with the bike. Ride1Up support is known to be very good and responsive.
Of the 1200 members, how many actually own a R1Up bike? How many are waiting for delivery? How many have ridden more than a few miles? People that don't own ebikes populate forums and Facebook groups too. Nothing wrong with being a wannabe or a soon to be, but membership doesn't mean experienced owner.

Of the 1200 members, how many actually own a R1Up bike? How many are waiting for delivery? How many have ridden more than a few miles? People that don't own ebikes populate forums and Facebook groups too. Nothing wrong with being a wannabe or a soon to be, but membership doesn't mean experienced owner.
On the other hand, a portion of these members have multiple bikes. It's common for someone to mention he got one for himself and his wife, girlfriend, kid(s). And people with problems tend to be more vocal than those that don't, yet I'm not seeing but a handful of posts about this over the last year+. I had read somewhere that Ride1Up had $2,000,000 in sales their first year. I would say the ones with the chain falling off on occasion make up a small majority of the bikes sold, and Ride1Up has been good with addressing problems, as noted above, to resolve the issue.

Had someone bring theirs to my shop. Same issue. Your LBS is correct. The one I saw was off too. You may want to try changing the front chain ring to one with a narrow/wide. I'm surprised we aren't hearing more about this. Now that there appears to be more than just one, it is likely a design flaw.
Well this is troubling to hear as my r 700 series is supposed to ship any day now. I'd rather not have to do repairs or modify parts to get it to work right. Is this only an issue with the step through?

Back