Ride1Up 700 Series Chain Falling Off Front Chain Ring

Sorry... I'm referring to @GenXrider... he is a proponent of Ride1Up bikes even though he has yet to order one and extols their benefits over all other similarly priced bikes. :)
maybe he likes the company. You seem to have a thing for Espin over others and it took you a while to order one I believe. I ordered a 700 series in July and I'm appreciative of any input on it including that from Genx Rider

A few people have reported the chain coming off on occasion, but others have no issue.

Kevin from Ride1Up posted these possible problems:
- your gears are likely not indexed properly, so they are close to the edge.
- derailleur hanger is bent angling the chain off the freewheel
- your derailleur has lost tension. Your chain may be sagging and needs to be tighten or the derailleur needs to be adjusted.

Another comment:
You probably need to adjust the “B screw” on the rear derailleur. Have a bike shop do it for you, you shouldn’t remove chain links.

Also see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/264729534163214/permalink/570276013608563/
Is that screw one of the ones that limit the travel of the derailleur? I've heard those referred to as the high or low screws. If I have the issue maybe I'll take it to the local bike shop but I just bought a bike stand and mechanically inclined. I'm not a bike mechanic though so maybe a few YouTube videos would help...

Well this is troubling to hear as my r 700 series is supposed to ship any day now. I'd rather not have to do repairs or modify parts to get it to work right. Is this only an issue with the step through?
I wouldn't worry yourself needlessly. It appears to affect a very small percentage of customers, and Ride1Up support seems pretty good. Even the owner of the company is helpful and will post on FB. Just wait until you get the bike and have a professional bike mechanic give it an inspection, which is required for warranty validation, anyway.

There are 1200 members in the Ride1Up group, and there have only been a handful of posts where someone has reported the chain coming off. So, it's not a common issue. I suspect the suggestions in the previous post take care of most of the problems, just adjustments, as most people are not reporting any problems and are very happy with the bike. I've only seen 1 Ride1Up bike up for sale, and it wasn't because of any issue with the bike. Ride1Up support is known to be very good and responsive.

Edit: One of the commenters (linked to in the FB link above) who said he chain had been falling off said the chainring looked warped/bent, so Ride1Up set him up with a new chainring, and the problem looks resolved.
Yeah Was supposed to ship one day this past week but I guess it's any day now. Reading this thread had me almost ready to cancel the order but one would imagine if it is a common issue you would be seeing more complaints about it.

Thanks Mike for the info. I have taken multiple pictures and the bike shop did as well of all angles which clearly show the poor chain line. Yeah it appears they just tell everyone to remove chain links. It would be nice if they could just specify how many links the chain should have.

Lol at GenXrider. I do own multiple bikes as I had to buy another brand so when the Ride1Up 700 is broken for a few weeks I have a bike to ride. The service and support from the other brand is really really great so I do have something to compare regarding support. Its a quick phone call and two days for parts to arrive but it was only for minor shipping damage

You'd better believe its troubling to hear. Mine came out of the box with no hardware first. It took two weeks for them to get me hardware. Also had the controller go bad while I was just sitting on the bike and it took a week of troubleshooting to get that diagnosed through their one email a day support and another week for it to arrive.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone and I'm finding more and more people with this issue I just hope it can be resolved and I can ride my bike without stopping 5 times during a ride to put the chain back on.

Reactions: BET
On the other hand, a portion of these members have multiple bikes. It's common for someone to mention he got one for himself and his wife, girlfriend, kid(s). And people with problems tend to be more vocal than those that don't, yet I'm not seeing but a handful of posts about this over the last year+. I had read somewhere that Ride1Up had $2,000,000 in sales their first year. I would say the ones with the chain falling off on occasion make up a small majority of the bikes sold, and Ride1Up has been good with addressing problems, as noted above, to resolve the issue.
I'm not brand sensitive, I don't bash or promote. There are just no facts in your statement. I'm not trying to insult you, I appreciate your enthusiasm and willingness to help. Being vested in, and defending a consumer product will always let you down. No one bashed the brand or bike, we only tried to help the OP. I wouldn't dismiss the experience on this forum.

Thanks Mike for the info. I have taken multiple pictures and the bike shop did as well of all angles which clearly show the poor chain line. Yeah it appears they just tell everyone to remove chain links. It would be nice if they could just specify how many links the chain should have.

Lol at GenXrider. I do own multiple bikes as I had to buy another brand so when the Ride1Up 700 is broken for a few weeks I have a bike to ride. The service and support from the other brand is really really great so I do have something to compare regarding support. Its a quick phone call and two days for parts to arrive but it was only for minor shipping damage

You'd better believe its troubling to hear. Mine came out of the box with no hardware first. It took two weeks for them to get me hardware. Also had the controller go bad while I was just sitting on the bike and it took a week of troubleshooting to get that diagnosed through their one email a day support and another week for it to arrive.

I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone and I'm finding more and more people with this issue I just hope it can be resolved and I can ride my bike without stopping 5 times during a ride to put the chain back on.
I've read a massive amount of feedback from Ride1Up customers looking back over comments posted last year and youtube reviews, this forum, etc. Your experience doesn't match up with the vast majority of feedback I'm seeing from others. But personal anecdotes can be pretty strong. I wouldn't be buying one myself if it wasn't for so much positive customer feedback, although I'm leaning more toward the LMT'D.

There are just no facts in your statement.
I reread the comment you just replied to. Everything that I had stated was factual with one caveat - I got the $2,000,000 reference from someone else, so I did not confirm that one piece of information with anything from the company directly. Maybe it was in the last year or this year, but the point was that they've sold a lot of bikes, so seeing just a few people report their chain fell off isn't that big of a deal. I'm not dismissing anyone's experience, but I suggest following up with Ride1Up support if you have an issue with one of their bikes.

Last edited:
I reread the comment you just replied to. Everything stated was factual with one caveat - I got the $2,000,000 reference from someone else, so I did not confirm that one piece of information with anything from the company directly. Maybe it was in the last year or this year, but the point was that they've sold a lot of bikes, so seeing just a few people report their chain fell off isn't that big of a deal. I'm not dismissing anyone's experience, but I suggest following up with Ride1Up support if you have an issue with one of their bikes.

I checked out some YouTube reviews and asked the poster if he'd had any problems with it so we'll see

I reread the comment you just replied to. Everything stated was factual with one caveat - I got the $2,000,000 reference from someone else, so I did not confirm that one piece of information with anything from the company directly. Maybe it was in the last year or this year, but the point was that they've sold a lot of bikes, so seeing just a few people report their chain fell off isn't that big of a deal. I'm not dismissing anyone's experience, but I suggest following up with Ride1Up support if you have an issue with one of their bikes.
I like the Ride1up bikes and I am not bashing them for the chains falling off. I am a little irritated. This is a new bike. It was already checked by bike mechanic. Shifting is fine. Nothing is bent. Customer support did respond but just telling me to have it checked again by the bike mechanic is not much of a response. My son crashed and scraped up his leg badly. I added a chain guide I bought. We will see if it works and go from there. It is a 500. Seems to me one issue is they keep tweeking/modifying batches of bikes without telling buyers and then make changes again (like with the throttle issue) once people complain. Hence smaller numbers of people with complaints about one or two batches of bikes.

Sad response if in fact he actually investigated the problem thoroughly. Did he even ask for any pictures of the crank shaft area or chain ring, or an overhead view of the chain line ? For a first level response, without seeing anything, those would be some possible causes. But with so many people reporting this, and I know my one customer who brought theirs in to my shop, did indeed contact R1Up about the same issues, it actually sounds like he barely has more than just a superficial grasp of bikes in general. Or is taking standoffish posture to avoid assuming responsibility for correcting the issue - since it would likely involve them contacting the chinese factory they've contracted with to build these ebikes for them, and a much more involved manufacturing re-design than they are willing or able to afford. Its an on-going industry issue with these brands that are on line, when something more than just cosmetic comes up, that presents a recurring warranty issue or design flaw, and they have no control over the factory they've contracted with to correct the problem. Maybe see if they have anyone technical on their staff that can have a worthwhile discussion and someone who is willing to work with you to actually resolve the problem ?

I experienced this issue with one brand that I carried a few years ago, and they took immediate measures to address it, and had a re-designed crank/bottom bracket assembly back out within a couple months. It had occurred after a recent model makeover from the prior year. Fortunately we caught it early enough in the builds so that not too many of these got out in the field. Wasn't fun to deal with, but it did get addressed. They had a very good rapport with their factory, frequent visits to China, although they were heavily involved in design and engineering from the beginning of their company founding, and not just putting a label on a chinese designed and made ebike, as way too many of these on-line brands are doing these days. Lots of 'white label' importers like R1Up out there, confusing people by providing the illusion they are a real bike brand, and involved in design, engineering, quality control, etc. Of the more than 130 'brands' coming into the US, I would estimate that at least half of them, if not considerably more, are simply importing and slapping their brand logo on an ebike that was designed and made by a third party, who is likely shipping the same ebike that is a copy of a real design, to many different 'white label' firms, and only altering things like battery capacity, battery cell OEM, derailleur choice, brake choice, grips, saddles, colors, etc. It'd be a lot easier for the ebike consumer if so many did not exist, or if they actually disclosed they were merely putting their logo on a frame and overall bike that was not designed by them. Also disclosing they have no engineers, or ebike mechanical or electronics experts on their own staff, would also materially help buyers separate the 'wheat from the chaff.' Over time, these also rans will be eliminated by market forces, but that takes awhile, and unwitting consumers can get duped and burned pretty badly.
So is this why the Aventon level looks like the 700 series. I was aware that these bikes are made in China and the company changes which parts are in the build. I would think that there would be more complaints though. Seems when you watch a YouTube review and read the comments you don't hear about this issue.

I like the Ride1up bikes and I am not bashing them for the chains falling off. I am a little irritated. This is a new bike. It was already checked by bike mechanic. Shifting is fine. Nothing is bent. Customer support did respond but just telling me to have it checked again by the bike mechanic is not much of a response. My son crashed and scraped up his leg badly. I added a chain guide I bought. We will see if it works and go from there. It is a 500. Seems to me one issue is they keep tweeking/modifying batches of bikes without telling buyers and then make changes again (like with the throttle issue) once people complain. Hence smaller numbers of people with complaints about one or two batches of bikes.
I don't recall ever reading about the chain falling off on a 500 series, before. Did it happen often, or was that an isolated event prior to you adding the chain guide?

Edit: OK, I see in an earlier post you said that it has been happening going over bumps, so it wasn't an isolated incident.

Last edited:
maybe he likes the company. You seem to have a thing for Espin over others and it took you a while to order one I believe. I ordered a 700 series in July and I'm appreciative of any input on it including that from Genx Rider

Yes... that's my point... he knows a lot about R1U and their bikes as he's done the research. That's why I said he should chime in which he has.

Sad response if in fact he actually investigated the problem thoroughly. Did he even ask for any pictures of the crank shaft area or chain ring, or an overhead view of the chain line ? For a first level response, without seeing anything, those would be some possible causes. But with so many people reporting this, and I know my one customer who brought theirs in to my shop, did indeed contact R1Up about the same issues, it actually sounds like he barely has more than just a superficial grasp of bikes in general. Or is taking standoffish posture to avoid assuming responsibility for correcting the issue - since it would likely involve them contacting the chinese factory they've contracted with to build these ebikes for them, and a much more involved manufacturing re-design than they are willing or able to afford. Its an on-going industry issue with these brands that are on line, when something more than just cosmetic comes up, that presents a recurring warranty issue or design flaw, and they have no control over the factory they've contracted with to correct the problem. Maybe see if they have anyone technical on their staff that can have a worthwhile discussion and someone who is willing to work with you to actually resolve the problem ?

I experienced this issue with one brand that I carried a few years ago, and they took immediate measures to address it, and had a re-designed crank/bottom bracket assembly back out within a couple months. It had occurred after a recent model makeover from the prior year. Fortunately we caught it early enough in the builds so that not too many of these got out in the field. Wasn't fun to deal with, but it did get addressed. They had a very good rapport with their factory, frequent visits to China, although they were heavily involved in design and engineering from the beginning of their company founding, and not just putting a label on a chinese designed and made ebike, as way too many of these on-line brands are doing these days. Lots of 'white label' importers like R1Up out there, confusing people by providing the illusion they are a real bike brand, and involved in design, engineering, quality control, etc. Of the more than 130 'brands' coming into the US, I would estimate that at least half of them, if not considerably more, are simply importing and slapping their brand logo on an ebike that was designed and made by a third party, who is likely shipping the same ebike that is a copy of a real design, to many different 'white label' firms, and only altering things like battery capacity, battery cell OEM, derailleur choice, brake choice, grips, saddles, colors, etc. It'd be a lot easier for the ebike consumer if so many did not exist, or if they actually disclosed they were merely putting their logo on a frame and overall bike that was not designed by them. Also disclosing they have no engineers, or ebike mechanical or electronics experts on their own staff, would also materially help buyers separate the 'wheat from the chaff.' Over time, these also rans will be eliminated by market forces, but that takes awhile, and unwitting consumers can get duped and burned pretty badly.

I'm a little surprised that the open mold frames would be so prone to having design flaws. You'd think if your market was lots of brands buying from you, there's be more pressure to get it right. And I guess it will happen in due time, as you said, just not yet.

I suppose it's that the AAA manufacturers have exclusive agreements with big brands that lock out the small internet brands, leaving them to contend with the B team for sourcing frames.

My 700 is supposed to ship Sep 15, so I have no fist hand knowledge BUT on the R1U forum someone suggested replacing the derailleur with a Shimano Deore RD-M591 Long Cage MTB. He bent the OE derailleur and successfully made the switch. The M591 has a stronger spring and gets pretty good reviews. I have one on order from eBay just in case I experience the "fall off". Don't like to post things without real experience but it might be worth $35 one of you to try. The guy who posted a successful install was not having "fall off" issues. Just a thought.

Well this is troubling to hear as my r 700 series is supposed to ship any day now. I'd rather not have to do repairs or modify parts to get it to work right. Is this only an issue with the step through?

We have a new 700. and have gone over some pretty bumpy roads with no problem. I have had a chain dropping problem with my Mid Drive build on a Specialized frame. I can't use the top two gears without dropping the chain. I ordered a convex narrow wide chain ring. Now I am waiting for a couple of spacers because the ring was too close to the rail. If it isn't one thing it's another. Move it in. Move it out. Spend money.

We have a new 700. and have gone over some pretty bumpy roads with no problem. I have had a chain dropping problem with my Mid Drive build on a Specialized frame. I can't use the top two gears without dropping the chain. I ordered a convex narrow wide chain ring. Now I am waiting for a couple of spacers because the ring was too close to the rail. If it isn't one thing it's another. Move it in. Move it out. Spend money.
If you don't mind me asking have you ridden the 700 a lot? Mine is supposed to be here Tuesday or Wednesday so just looking for a bit more reassurance I guess. Thanks. Does seem like an inside guide wouldn't have hurt

Back