Ride1Up 700 Series Chain Falling Off Front Chain Ring

Donald Penn, thank you for this information. V helpful in (hopefully) nipping this problem in the bud. I’m about to swing by Home Depot/Lowe’s to pick up those 5 washers before my 700 arrives so that the bike mechanic can install them (in lieu of what R1U sends) when he assembles the bike. QUESTION: what is the thickness of the washers are you using? Or does it matter? I’ve been able to find washers w/the dimensions you recommend, but the thickness of these washers does vary. Thanks very much for your earliest reply. This is a Christmas present for husband that I am racing to get properly assembled in advance of the big day.

THANK YOU!!

Time is no longer of the essence, obviously, but an answer would be most appreciated. Thickness of washers you recommend, please?

Time is no longer of the essence, obviously, but an answer would be most appreciated. Thickness of washers you recommend, please?
I'm not saying you won't need the washers but I've had my 700 series since late August and the chain has never fallen off, knock on wood.

As someone awaiting for delivery of my new 700, I would like to know what the chainring offset from BB should be.
A recent poster on the FB group worried that their crank was not sitting very far onto shaft during install. Of course that could be a simple matter of not torqueing it down all the way onto the taper but it could also be a defect preventing proper mating.

Also, which gear is supposed to straightline the chain on a derailleur?
My first though was middle of cassette but since higher gears have fewer teeth and thus looser chain perhaps manufacturers target 75% of the way to the highest gear - anyone know for sure?
Once known, I can point a laser pointer across the chainring and see which gear it hits to know if there an alignment problem or not

Their pic - not mine.

View attachment 72959
If the crank got any closer then the chain ring guard area would be touching the rear part of the bike frame. I also thought that my crank wasn't sitting far enough inside the shaft, since I can still see flat sides of the shaft on mine similar to the pic posted.

If the crank got any closer then the chain ring guard area would be touching the rear part of the bike frame. I also thought that my crank wasn't sitting far enough inside the shaft, since I can still see flat sides of the shaft on mine similar to the pic posted.
Looks like there's close to 1/4" clearance between my chainring and chainstay. Earlier poster mentions millimeters of adjustment made a difference for him. My 700's chain hasn't fallen off, but I haven't had it long and almost always ride in the higher gears.

There was a recent post in the FB group where this topic came up again, first time this year I think, and this guy reported that he was pedaling in one of the two highest gears when it has happened, unlike some previous reports on the chain falling off.

Chain ring bolts are normally 8mmx.75 which is metric extra fine. Belmetric caries these (I think they are called screws) with rounded hex heads in most sizes. I've seen a number of requests for these screws so that is why I'm posting

Back