Ride Control Firmware

Another update this week, I did a firmware update that was listed via the Giant App on my 2020 Fathom E+ 3 29er (32km/h). Again it all went OK and now my firmware versions are:

Software Version 20191231000 (was 20190802000)
Hardware Version is 20190100000 (no change was 20190100000)

The only change this time around appears to be that Auto (which Giant call Smart Assist Mode) is activated by default when you switch on, so as Softsand says "Assistance level always defaults to Auto mode when you start". Also you can now select Auto at any Assistance Level by holding down either the Up or Down Assistance Level buttons for 3 seconds, where in the past Auto was selected by pressing Down button once after going to zero assistance.

I'm really hoping that there are no more hidden issues this time around, Giant appear to be very poor at documenting what changes are occurring in each update and I don't want to have the issues that another person (a UK owner on another forum) has after updating to 20191231000 on his Giant Trance E3 Pro, basically after the update he says that his auto power output is different depending on what power output level he activates it at. If he activates Auto at Assistance Level 1 (1 light) he gets no more power than he did in Level 1. Likewise if he activates Auto at Assistance Level 3 (3 lights) he appears to get he seems to get no more power than he did in level 3 mode.

Interestingly he says if he activates Auto mode with no assistance level lights on he gets no assistance at all. It all sounds like Auto isn’t really auto anymore and that the update has broken Auto.

I'm yet to go out for a ride due to the weather here (Wellington, NZ), it's forecast to clear this afternoon so hopefully I can get out. I'm hoping that I don't now have the same issues or I will be very pissed.

Last edited:
I was charging my battery today and I noticed my display had strangely changed to km, I changed it back to miles and it seems to be showing the correct mileage again...
I tried changing to km and back to miles, but my mileage is still messed up. No change either with the newest firmware update from a couple days ago. Still have over 1200 extra miles on the ODO

I don't think you can reset the odo - that comes from the bike itself. I could be full of it, too. ;)

I don't want to have the issues that another person (a UK owner on another forum) has after updating to 20191231000 on his Giant Trance E3 Pro, basically after the update he says that his auto power output is different depending on what power output level he activates it at. If he activates Auto at Assistance Level 1 (1 light) he gets no more power than he did in Level 1. Likewise if he activates Auto at Assistance Level 3 (3 lights) he appears to get he seems to get no more power than he did in level 3 mode.

Interestingly he says if he activates Auto mode with no assistance level lights on he gets no assistance at all. It all sounds like Auto isn’t really auto anymore and that the update has broken Auto.

I managed to get out for a ride his afternoon and I can confirm that I am now experiencing pretty much what is detailed above. Basically Auto mode doesn't work how it did before I did update 20191231000. When I now select Auto at any Assistance Level by holding down either the Up or Down Assistance Level buttons for 3 seconds I get the Auto light and the Assistance Level that I was at when I selected Auto.

If I activate Auto at Assistance Level 1 (1 light) I get no more power than I would in Level 1, if I activate Auto at Assistance Level 3 (3 lights) I get no more power than I would at level 3. Pretty much this update has screwed Auto.

I don't understand why Giant would do this and it makes no sense as Auto is no longer Auto. I have taken out the battery and will try again tomorrow. I would suggest not to update to 20191231000, if you want a proper Auto don't go past 20190802000.

Does anyone know where you can complain to Giant about this?

Last edited:
I tried changing to km and back to miles, but my mileage is still messed up. No change either with the newest firmware update from a couple days ago. Still have over 1200 extra miles on the ODO
Mine is showing 36 miles more than my gps which is pretty accurate, I have no idea how it changed itself to km but it hasn't happened again!

I managed to get out for a ride his afternoon and I can confirm that I am now experiencing pretty much what is detailed above. Basically Auto mode doesn't work how it did before I did update 20191231000. When I now select Auto at any Assistance Level by holding down either the Up or Down Assistance Level buttons for 3 seconds I get the Auto light and the Assistance Level that I was at when I selected Auto.

If I activate Auto at Assistance Level 1 (1 light) I get no more power than I would in Level 1, if I activate Auto at Assistance Level 3 (3 lights) I get no more power than I would at level 3. Pretty much this update has screwed Auto.

I don't understand why Giant would do this and it makes no sense as Auto is no longer Auto. I have taken out the battery and will try again tomorrow. I would suggest not to update to 20191231000, if you want a proper Auto don't go past 20190802000.

Does anyone know where you can complain to Giant about this?

Today I have sent the an email to [email protected], posted feedback on both their Google Playstore and the Apple App store and posted to Giant's NZ Facebook page. I have no doubt that this will be as effective as "a condom machine in the Vatican" but I feel better now I have vented.

So you have all the information - Giant RideControl e-bike App version 1.4.3 (dated 27 Mar 2020) will update your Firmware to Software Version 20191231000 - Do not load this app update if you want to keep a usable Auto mode, Giant call this Smart Assist Mode.

Giant RideControl e-bike App version 1.4.2 (dated 19 Feb 2020) updates your Firmware to Software Version 20190802000 - Auto (Smart Assist Mode) - Auto was selected by pressing Down button once after going to zero assistance, in this version Auto works as it should by varying assistance levels automatically to cater for terrain and cadence.

Today I have sent the an email to [email protected], posted feedback on both their Google Playstore and the Apple App store and posted to Giant's NZ Facebook page. I have no doubt that this will be as effective as "a condom machine in the Vatican" but I feel better now I have vented.

So you have all the information - Giant RideControl e-bike App version 1.4.3 (dated 27 Mar 2020) will update your Firmware to Software Version 20191231000 - Do not load this app update if you want to keep a usable Auto mode, Giant call this Smart Assist Mode.

Giant RideControl e-bike App version 1.4.2 (dated 19 Feb 2020) updates your Firmware to Software Version 20190802000 - Auto (Smart Assist Mode) - Auto was selected by pressing Down button once after going to zero assistance, in this version Auto works as it should by varying assistance levels automatically to cater for terrain and cadence.

I have the same problems with Automode on sw 20191231000 / hw 20190100000. Ticked me off. I made one loop of a local trail and wanted to get a more accurate battery reading so I opened the app. It required me to do the update. Then I could see battery level. When I started riding, Automode was completely worthless. Does anyone know where/if Giant posts the changes introduced with these updates. I appreciate those who have included info learned from their LBS.

For the Apple version of the Giant RideControl e-bike App the version history is listed along with a very brief description of changes.

I have the same problems with Automode on sw 20191231000 / hw 20190100000. Ticked me off. I made one loop of a local trail and wanted to get a more accurate battery reading so I opened the app. It required me to do the update. Then I could see battery level. When I started riding, Automode was completely worthless. Does anyone know where/if Giant posts the changes introduced with these updates. I appreciate those who have included info learned from their LBS.
UPDATE 2: Been out for another 10 miles and have sussed out whats going on. I have an Urban bike DAILYTOUR E+1 which has the EVO display and can therefore see CADENCE. What I have now found is that AUTO only works and gives full power if you keep CADENCE over 65 rpm. As I am not a racing snake and plod on my Urban bike I normally plod at 50-55 rpm and AUTO does not kick in (more power). I can use full power in manual mode at the lower CADENCE of 50-55rpm. Please try for yourselves and let us all know if what I say is correct.

UPDATE 2: Been out for another 10 miles and have sussed out whats going on. I have an Urban bike DAILYTOUR E+1 which has the EVO display and can therefore see CADENCE. What I have now found is that AUTO only works and gives full power if you keep CADENCE over 65 rpm. As I am not a racing snake and plod on my Urban bike I normally plod at 50-55 rpm and AUTO does not kick in (more power). I can use full power in manual mode at the lower CADENCE of 50-55rpm. Please try for yourselves and let us all know if what I say is correct.
Yes, that appears to what I am experiencing. I have to shift to a lower gear to get more e-assist, which is due to the higher cadence. I hope they fix this because when I try to start up on a steep hill from a stopped position there is not enough boost to get moving. It was all working great before they made this change. I’ve noticed that battery life is seems to be longer, but only because I’m not getting much assist which is why I bought the e-bike.

I performed the latest update last Thursday and I, too, no longer have any auto or smart assist. Smart assist is one of the reasons that I chose Giant over others when making the ebike purchase and I certainly hope Giant corrects this problem soon. The day after I discovered the problem, I contacted my local Giant dealer.....he was unaware of the issue but was going to contact Giant this week and see if there was a resolution in the works.
Fingers crossed....I really liked the Smart Assist.

Even with pedaling at higher cadence, auto never seems to give more boost that level 3. I’ve given up on auto for now and mostly use levels 2 and 3. I did use level 4 to zip up a gravel road to the top of the mountain.

Even with pedaling at higher cadence, auto never seems to give more boost that level 3. I’ve given up on auto for now and mostly use levels 2 and 3. I did use level 4 to zip up a gravel road to the top of the mountain.
That's my experience as well. I certainly get pedal assist levels 1 and 2 but not sure if I get assist level 3 or not. But when required You can pop into levels 3, 4 or 5 for those short, steep hills and then pop back to auto. I need to test that a bit more.

I tested auto this evening on my ride after this thread caught my eye. I'm running the latest firmware on my 2020 Explore E+1.

I switched from Normal to Auto and took off from standstill. The power didn't come on as immediately as it would in the top levels but it did register full assist. (The Evo display shows a real time assist meter and I counted the full 10 bars on Auto.)

The delay seems to be down to the computer working out which power level I really wanted. I make it out to be about 1-2 seconds after I request the additional power by dropping my speed and upping my torque or cadence.

I repeated the test in Boost+. The power delivery was more immediate but netted the same level of power and got me to the 25 km/h cutoff in similar fashion.

Side note: I found Auto used a little more battery than Normal on this particular ride (5-10%) for limited gain, so unless I was riding on uneven, undulating paths I think I'll stick to one of the fixed modes for now.

Second side note: does anyone else have issues connecting to the bike via the app? It only makes the connection with every third or fourth attempt.

Last edited:
Interesting that my 2019 E+ says its not supported via the app, but when I purchased it, it was. It also used to say up to 360% yet the new sell sheet for the 2019 E+ says 350% power max. This company is horrible and have essentially downgraded all the older bikes. Most the dealers have no clue and either does Giants 1st tiered support.

Interesting that my 2019 E+ says its not supported via the app, but when I purchased it, it was. It also used to say up to 360% yet the new sell sheet for the 2019 E+ says 350% power max. This company is horrible and have essentially downgraded all the older bikes. Most the dealers have no clue and either does Giants 1st tiered support.

Where did it show to have the auto-mode for 2019?
This was technology for the 6-sensor update for 2020. And way over rated IMO.

Where did it show to have the auto-mode for 2019?
This was technology for the 6-sensor update for 2020. And way over rated IMO.
I'm not referring to auto mode specifically, but the 2019 is supposed to work with the app and used to work with the app and when it did it showed me that the highest setting was 360%. Now it wont even connect to my bike.

I'm not referring to auto mode specifically, but the 2019 is supposed to work with the app and used to work with the app and when it did it showed me that the highest setting was 360%. Now it wont even connect to my bike.

Ah, yes. I have three of them on the app.
Try deleting the app and reinstalling it, setup your app login again, scan for your powered-up bike.

Back