Ride Control Firmware

My Revolt is on an older firmware. I tried the ridecontrol app when I got it at the end of 2019 and it worked alright, but haven't looked since. Got my range extender, which requires an update, and naturally the app refuses to connect to the bike. Tried 5 devices, but all ios and none of them worked. Dealer is new to ebikes and didn't have the service tool, but I let them know what was going on and they immediately ordered one. Hopefully should be in this week and they can run the update.

Giant is definitely behind the ball on the software end. From what I've seen, Specialized and Trek have fairly sophisticated apps for their electric bikes. Given how huge they are and how fast the ebike market is growing, thats definitely something Giant should throw some money at.

In the short-term, the Android is the only thing that seems to work to update the firmware. And even then, I needed to restart several times.

@Giant -- you need to hire SOME REAL SOFTWARE ENGINEERS AND GET THIS SQUARED AWAY. Like it or not, software is now an integral part of your e-bikes and you need to make it work smoothly every time. And provide support that is accessible, responsive and effective.

In the short-term, the Android is the only thing that seems to work to update the firmware. And even then, I needed to restart several times.

@Giant -- you need to hire SOME REAL SOFTWARE ENGINEERS AND GET THIS SQUARED AWAY. Like it or not, software is now an integral part of your e-bikes and you need to make it work smoothly every time. And provide support that is accessible, responsive and effective.

Of the four bikes I've connected to the app and updated, all were done with Apple IOS. All without issue.
If your dealer cannot assist, consider seeing a different dealer. They have access to factory support should it be needed. This type of program is not supported to the end user, but through their dealer network.

In case anyone needs it, here's the PDF user manual for RideControl app: https://dk8nafk1kle6o.cloudfront.net/Documents/RideControlApp_Manual.pdf

Of the four bikes I've connected to the app and updated, all were done with Apple IOS. All without issue.
If your dealer cannot assist, consider seeing a different dealer. They have access to factory support should it be needed. This type of program is not supported to the end user, but through their dealer network.

In case anyone needs it, here's the PDF user manual for RideControl app: https://dk8nafk1kle6o.cloudfront.net/Documents/RideControlApp_Manual.pdf

My dealer is taking care of me. They didn't have the dealer support tool, but when they heard I was having issues they ordered one. Bike shops are all completely slammed right now and they are still being responsive. No complaints there.

As for the software... I mean, I get that bugs happen. But this seems to have been an ongoing issue for a while (reports on this forum are relatively common going back 3 months). I don't have high expectations for the software, really (I track everything on a Garmin Edge). Updating firmware, especially when required to get purchased hardware working, should be a bare minimum. The Giant app could be charitably described as clunky. It does the job (when it works), but its nowhere near as smooth and slick as the Shimano app I use on my other bike, and is noticeably more buggy.

Giant is late to the ebike game (companies like Specialized who have been doing it longer likely have software and hardware development in house at this point) but Giant does need to up their game IMO. It feels a little business-webpage-hosted-on-geocities to me. Not the product of a billion dollar company.

EDIT: I will say my shop talked to the local Giant rep and he instantly knew what the issue is and what they need. So, yay that the field guys are responsive, but that does say its a well known issue.

Has anyone had issues with the mileage readings being totally off while riding?
Also after the dealer did the latest update, it always shows remaining battery at 0, even on a fully charged battery , this is on the Giant ride control app

Has anyone had issues with the mileage readings being totally off while riding?
Also after the dealer did the latest update, it always shows remaining battery at 0, even on a fully charged battery , this is on the Giant ride control app

Hah. Noticed that too. Well, let’s hope it’s fixed in the new app that is supposedly being released in coming weeks to replace RideControl...

Hello Guys,

I have this problem !!! Somebody fix it in any whais ? My ride control whant's to be upgrade end the bike wont increase the power from the first level.

Any solution anybody.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200926-201642_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200926-201642_Samsung Internet.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 238
  • Screenshot_20200927-103509_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200927-103509_Gallery.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 334
I had an issue upgrading my firmware the first time in Sept 2019. After that, I have done a couple of upgrades with no problem. Except, of course, being surprised by some of the changes in the interface. I wish that Giant could give us some warning about the features/fixes of each upgrade, similar to what Apple and Microsoft provide with their OS updates.

It's typical for apps to include a README type file that provides info on the software updates, changes and fixes. Giant's application team rarely include info concerning such details. Just another example of how inexperienced and unprofessional Giant's software development team is. I do feel Giant's hardware is a real value but their software management is dismal and fixes take far too long to address. It's clear to me, Software just isn't a priority. Currently I wouldn't recommend that anyone buy Giant's eBikes. There are plenty of competitors that know how to manage the critical firmware/software. Of course there are consistent rumors of a new RideControl app but I don't see how the future is going to be any different than the past .

Vote with your wallet, avoid Giant. Sadly harsh words but that's how I feel.

I don’t disagree one bit. I’ve owned many Giant bikes and have always recommended them to friends. After my experience with my QuickE software, I will never buy, nor recommend another Giant product.

The majority of Giant ebikes are fine - drop yours to your dealer if you're having trouble.
The readout program is just an adjunct accessory, the bikes ride great!
I rarely use the app anymore, but it does work just fine. I suspect the few that do have persistent problems have something else going on. I also suspect there's a BT chip failure in some of them. Just a hunch.

It’s not the bike. The software is just terrible. The bikes were sold with the ability to get text messages on the screen. Has anyone seen that work? Turn by turn navigation? Also a selling feature, after several updates, there’s something resembling this, but have you ever tried to program a route? It’s not even close to a workable feature. Then there are updates that crash the app, and general terrible software interface on iOS. The bike itself is just fine, and would by itself be recommendable. The software integration is cumbersome and really degrades from the user experience. In today’s day and age, the two need to work together seamlessly, not an “adjunct accessory”.

Last edited:
Agree that there's nothing wrong with the bikes. Mine is awesome. The app? Junk.
Hopefully this will become a non issue in the next couple of weeks when the new app comes out.

The majority of Giant ebikes are fine - drop yours to your dealer if you're having trouble.
The readout program is just an adjunct accessory, the bikes ride great!
I rarely use the app anymore, but it does work just fine. I suspect the few that do have persistent problems have something else going on. I also suspect there's a BT chip failure in some of them. Just a hunch.
Well I have of lot to suspect other than the BT chip but that's hardly informative.. Technology should be seamless. This isn't the 70s. People don't pay big money for an iPhone just so that they can reliably make phone calls. If I wanted an analogue bike I wouldn't have I purchased a eBike. No I'm not happy with Giant's electronics that fail minimal functionality. I don't let that distract me from having a ball when I'm out on my Explore but it's unlikely I'll buy or recommend any of their eBikes.

Well I have of lot to suspect other than the BT chip but that's hardly informative.. Technology should be seamless. This isn't the 70s. People don't pay big money for an iPhone just so that they can reliably make phone calls. If I wanted an analogue bike I wouldn't have I purchased a eBike. No I'm not happy with Giant's electronics that fail minimal functionality. I don't let that distract me from having a ball when I'm out on my Explore but it's unlikely I'll buy or recommend any of their eBikes.
The new app is likely a couple of weeks away. Re-asses after that.

It’s not the bike. The software is just terrible. The bikes were sold with the ability to get text messages on the screen. Has anyone seen that work? Turn by turn navigation? Also a selling feature, after several updates, there’s something resembling this, but have you ever tried to program a route? It’s not even close to a workable feature. Then there are updates that crash the app, and general terrible software interface on iOS. The bike itself is just fine, and would by itself be recommendable. The software integration is cumbersome and really degrades from the user experience. In today’s day and age, the two need to work together seamlessly, not an “adjunct accessory”.

Yes. Four different Giant ebikes connected with the app and not a lick of trouble.

The app is definitely rough, but honestly all I expect of it is to update firmware and adjust assist levels. I guess I don't care about the ride tracking/seeing notifications/whatever; I split my time between several bikes (electric and non) and use my garmin 530 for all that stuff.

I actually much prefer the shimano e7000 display on my EMTB. Super clean and minimal. I find the huge screen on my Giant a bit garish.

I agree that the software is not up to task and needs serious work but mine and my wife's bikes are just plain excellent. I haven't upgraded to the latest 1.4.5 due to unfavorable remarks about Auto mode (which I currently use and enjoy). As for your current issue Id take it to the dealer personally. Have it reflashed if they have the ability

Back