Ride Control EVO questions

I just picked up a new QuickE. The Giant website shows the ability to receive smartphone notifications and navigation directions on the bike’s screen. How do I activate these features? I’m using iOS and the smartphone notifications section of the app is grayed out.

I have this problem as well, I assumed it was an IOS thing.

The thing about RideControl EVO that really annoys me is that the clock is only able to be displayed when you are navigating somewhere.There is no way to display the clock when you are just riding without navigating, even though the section of screen used to display the clock is empty.

The Navigation function is very nice, but it’s not particularly useful, for example, I can’t tweak the route to follow the bike path I like. Frankly, I probably would have gotten a bike without EVO given the choice, that way, if I ever decided to tune it, I could have used something less intrusive like a BadAss Box, plus I wouldn’t have had to worry about waterproofing issues.

Connect Bike
Tap: RIDE CONTROL
TAP:NOTIFICATIONS
Select which notifications to display.
1568706281551.png
1568706342015.png
1568706409240.png

Last edited:
I am thinking that’s where the bug is located. The app does not even appear in the iPhone notification settings menu. I uninstalled and reinstalled it, but still nothing. Has anyone gotten this to work on an iPhone? I can’t seem to find a way to report the bug to the developers.

On the iPhone go to Settings>Bluetooth> Jaguar and press the circled I (for information) and slide the Show Notifications button to the right for ON.

That’s where I turn it on to show notifications in my car set up for Bluetooth ....is the eBike the same ? Not tried it yet....instead of Jaguar it would be your bike.

There is a list of several Bluetooth devices in that menu. They all have the “i” next to them to adjust the settings. The bike only shows up in the menu when the app is running and the bike is on and connected. Instead of the “i”, it just says connected and there are no obvious ways to adjust the settings.

I am guessing you have the do not disturb turned off in settings?

Which iOS version are you on?

I’ll go and play with mine later and see what I find and let you know.

I finally got a response from Giant. These features do not currently work. They will be introduced in a future update. Oh well. I can’t complain too much since everything else about the bike is perfect.

This does seem a bit odd since this is an advertised feature of the 2019 models and they are now selling 2020’s. Also the App Store revision history says navigation was implemented 9 months ago in rev 1.1 and the current rev is 1.3.

Yes I couldn’t get it to work last night.

Giant need to be careful as in the U.K. we have the sale of goods act and the misrepresentation act 1967 , which are both there to protect customers from false advertising and sales based on fictitious claims.

I may well follow this up myself once seeing my dealer.

Yes I couldn’t get it to work last night.

Giant need to be careful as in the U.K. we have the sale of goods act and the misrepresentation act 1967 , which are both there to protect customers from false advertising and sales based on fictitious claims.

I may well follow this up myself once seeing my dealer.
It must be only Iphones affected as I'm UK based and it works on Android Glxy S9

Yep, there’s no mention of android only on their marketing.
It’s up to Giant to provide functions they list, I’m wondering if it’s a software update on the bike as I did read of this before in order to get navigation working.
Frustrating that we have to dig around for these items ,that should be readily communicated.
I’ll pop down the dealer ...if it ever stops raining , it’s only a couple of miles down the road.

It could be as simple as an iOS update broke it and it will be fixed soon. It obviously is in the app, just not working now. I’m sure they will fix it like they said. I’m not worried about it at all. My only frustration is that they don’t have any way to communicate these things. It would be nice to have at least an email reply in 24 hours, and dealers should be notified sooner.

These displays are terrible. Seriously. A Massive Speedo. Almost all of the left hand side is dedicated to power levels, then you have to scroll through the other stats one at a time. They could have all fit onto one screen.

Just to update those looking for Navigation and Apple notifications, I got below back from Giant today.

Thank you for your recent enquiry.

The navigation feature works on 2019 and 2020 bikes as long as the Firmware is up to date. An update with Service tool 1.0.5.21 or later is required to get the right firmware – this can be done through your local Giant retailer.

Please note that it is possible to navigate to a point on the map or address in the app. Uploading a route is currently not possible however but this is something we plan to implement in the next generation of the app.

Regarding notifications, we are experiencing issues with apple and I don’t have a reliable time frame in which this will be solved. For Android however, it works fine as long as the Evo is up to date.

We are currently working on a new text for the website regarding notifications and android.

So looks like I can have navigation if updated , but no notifications 😟
Hope this helps someone out . I’ll get my bike updated next time I’m in town.

It’s interesting Giant USA told me that none of it currently works. Why don’t they have a staff of technical support for ebikes? I would like to get this update but I am a very long distance from the dealer I bought from. I really don’t want to pay a closer dealer to do an update to a bike with less than 300 miles on it. The EVO is advertised as being able to be updated via the app. Does anyone know if I can borrow an Android phone to update my bike?

We also own an older QuickE. If I update that one, will it change from the three mode software to the five mode version?

I picked up a 2019 fastroad about 2 weeks ago. I am using the app on samsung s9. I can connect to the controller but nothing i do in the app changes on my screen. Is there a step I am missing to make the updates to the screen? Also how do you get navigation on the screen.39968

Back