Responding to bike-on-ebike harassment

1. Your bird was probably preferable to my impulse as I read your story, which was to have said "Mind your own f&*%ing business!" in a no-holds-barred no-quarter-given tone of voice. So you're a better man than I am and can stop feeling so bad about it.

2. I used "On your left" for most of my cycling life, and it worked just fine. Calling it from far enough away and in a courteous tone of voice never seemed to raise any hackles. I bought a bell when I got the Crosscurrent S and have been using it instead. I prefer it, but would still use "on your left" without hesitation in many situations.

3. Now that you've had your moment of ire, gotten it out of your system, and discovered that you didn't like it, I bet you will suffer these fools patiently without any of us suggesting it.

4. As much as I hope all of us are good ambassadors for ebikes, there are those who just want to be jerks, and we will never convince them that ebikes are acceptable no matter how gentlemanly or ladylike we may approach them. For those, "Mind your own business" (perhaps without the aforementioned expletive) may be the best answer after all.

This is interesting. How well does it perform if you're on a smooth surface, going straight?

Excellently...a very gentle wiggle will activate it. The bell's clapper is on the end of an adjustable cable with 3 settings: Full, Half, and Locked. At Full, the bell reacts more sensitively since its pendulum is longer. It's great to be able to switch it on-and-off so easily too. For me, takes the psychological barrier out of manually ringing the bell too; I seem to have an odd aversion to repeatedly ringing bike-bells as I approach others...maybe it's my desire not to "inconvenience" them. Dunno! Also, I use my bike to transit a large university campus, and when I walk my bike through hallways in the buildings I visit, I push my bike from behind the seat. I can have the bell on, and warn people ahead of me or around corners by giving the bike a shake.

I had someone say to me, while I was riding my e-bike, that I was cheating. I replied, "Who am I cheating?"

Besides owning an e-bike I also own two high quality road bikes and lead a senior's cycling group. I couple of the riders have e-bikes and none of the other riders seem to mind. Then only time there's some good natured ribbing is when we come to a steep hill and they pass us like we're standing still.

Back