[RESOLVED] (refunded) New Vado 5.0 IGH in the shop, errors galore---updated 4-13-22

With the assistance of the LBS, Rider Care has initiated the return process and I've been directed to drop off the bikes at the LBS.
Returning both of them tomorrow.
(I also purchased one for my wife, she has yet to ride it, it has under 1 mile, as it was when delivered).
I sure hope nobody else has my experiences.

So, just as a FYI, sharing of info, this is the info (a review) that is on the website:

Forget Shifting, Forget Greasy Chains, Always ride in the Right Gear​

I recently bought this bike, and I am amazed by it. The automatic shifting hub keeps you in the "right gear" at all times. I have some steep rolling hills by my house. The automatic shifter prevents stalling while going into an uphill climb in too high of a gear. (We have all done that) It keeps you in just the right gear. As soon as you crest the hill, it starts to shift up. You accelerate seamlessly. As you start down the back side, it maintains your cadence while shifting up so you go faster. You pedal at one set speed and the transmission does the rest. It flattens the hills in a way I have never experienced before. The automatic shift, combined with e-bike assist creates an entirely new bike experience. I get more exercise on this bike than on a non e-bike. That is because I ride more and work harder because it is so much fun.

Part of my entire dissatisfaction is it is NOT as automatic as described (of course that is one individual's opinion).

My experience is completely opposite of that person's review.

Let's not forget the motor crapping out is also the problem.

I hope all others have a better experience.

With the assistance of the LBS, Rider Care has initiated the return process and I've been directed to drop off the bikes at the LBS.
Returning both of them tomorrow.
(I also purchased one for my wife, she has yet to ride it, it has under 1 mile, as it was when delivered).
I sure hope nobody else has my experiences.
Good luck with the rest of the process.

I hope you find an acceptable new bike whether a non-lemon Specialized for another brand.

Bikes were returned today, awaiting the outcome, refund, and resolution.
Considering 2 new Como 5.0's to be the next acquisition. Maybe, gotta ride one for a few hours. How is that a doable feat with LBS's not having any but sometimes they are available direct to consumer?

Bikes were returned today, awaiting the outcome, refund, and resolution.
Considering 2 new Como 5.0's to be the next acquisition. Maybe, gotta ride one for a few hours. How is that a doable feat with LBS's not having any but sometimes they are available direct to consumer?
Well, that again points up the importance of being able to test ride for size, comfort and power. Although, getting few hours test ride is probably not possible.

Yup. As a perfectionist, I demand only the very best experience and value of advertised goods. Sometimes, there is a price to pay for early adoption. I can attest to that in the automobile world also, as I suffered unresolvable issues with a 2013 Ford Focus EV ( one of the first electric cars almost 10 years ago), leading to a Lemon Law buyback at the end of the lease. The car was unsafe to ride in, my wife would not ever go in it again due to the dreaded "Stop Safely Now" dilemma. I liken the 'Motor Error' on the most currently purchased IGH model. Think about it; you're pulling hard up a 4% to 7% grade (example) and you get 'Motor Error', The entire cadence, assistance, everything just dies or changes so drastically you have to come to an emergency stop and hop off to avoid injury if you can do that. I don't think I'd have too much of a problem but say, for example, my wife. She'd be like Artie Johnson on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in. Here is a similar reference:

Last edited:
Yup. As a perfectionist, I demand only the very best experience and value of advertised goods. Sometimes, there is a price to pay for early adoption. I can attest to that in the automobile world also, as I suffered unresolvable issues with a 2013 Ford Focus EV ( one of the first electric cars almost 10 years ago), leading to a Lemon Law buyback at the end of the lease. The car was unsafe to ride in, my wife would not ever go in it again due to the dreaded "Stop Safely Now" dilemma. I liken the 'Motor Error' on the most currently purchased IGH model. Think about it; you're pulling hard up a 4% to 7% grade (example) and you get 'Motor Error', The entire cadence, assistance, everything just dies or changes so drastically you have to come to an emergency stop and hop off to avoid injury if you can do that. I don't think I'd have too much of a problem but say, for example, my wife. She'd be like Artie Johnson on Rowan & Martin's Laugh-in. Here is a similar reference:

I wonder how many folks remember that reference... :D

@GuruUno...forgive my ignorance, I am new to e-bikes. But do you think all of your error issues were related to the IGH drivetrain?
In other words, if you had the chain driven version...would you still have these in the stable?

I can't say. Time will tell. We'll need to see if others have any issues with the new 'Master Mind'.
The motor errors and crapping out is an independent issue.
The "Automatic" shifting is an entirely different issue.

Back