Replace grips?

I’m assuming they are not locking grips, because if they are all you need to do is loosen the locking screws and slide them off.

If they are not locking grips, compressed air works well.

I use WD-40 because the spray can had an attached nozzle I can slip under the grip if I use a blunt tool to help it.. It seems to dry quickly on rubber, and then I use liquid soap to remount the grips.

In the past, I would just cut them off, but as I started working on more bikes I found it was worth keeping the old grips.

I was just wondering about this. I'm not riding my 700 that much since it's winter and I do like the grips overall but to rotate them in the position I want is a bit difficult, which makes sense you don't want them turning on their own, but I would like to set a lockable ones. What got me thinking about it more is my son's Espin Sport came with grips that have little Allen screw clamps on either end of the grip which makes it real easy to loosen them up rotate them where you want and then tighten them

Last edited:
Im trying to remove the shifter, looks like the grip has to come off, what a pain to remove. Any tips other than oil?

This method seems legit. It worked well, I just did it.

Last edited:
I use WD-40 because the spray can had an attached nozzle I can slip under the grip if I use a blunt tool to help it.. It seems to dry quickly on rubber, and then I use liquid soap to remount the grips.

In the past, I would just cut them off, but as I started working on more bikes I found it was worth keeping the old grips.
I found wd is easiest to get them off and is easily wiped down/evaporates afterwards
A little Slickoleum on the bar for the new grip makes them easy to adjust and remove going forward and in less than 24 hours they stay pretty much where you want but can still be adjusted with some force

There are some tips you should use when Removing Bike Handlebar Grips. First, the use of WD-40 lubricant, which is the most widely used substance for grip removal. You can squirt an ample amount of lubricant onto the grip surface prior to removal. The same with WD-40 lubricant. The use of hairspray is another way to take off handlebar grips. Another method is the compressed air method. You have to place the nozzle under the grip and put the air compressor inside. You can also rely on soap and water. You should place a screwdriver to create a gap against the handlebar, then fill in the gap with soap and water to make the attachment slipper. Besides soapy water, rubbing alcohol can also work wonders. Finally, if your grip is already old and tattered, you can choose to cut the rubber fast.
Hair spray is good for getting grips to stick so that they don't twist after you get them in place because the hair spray dries and acts like a glue. I would avoid using it for removal, though, for that same reason.

If they’re stubborn I’ve used a wrench and hammer to tap the grip off.
IMG_0735.jpeg
IMG_0735.jpeg

Back