reliability

Bedi bedang

Where is the bike that can travel 40kms a day,5 days a week all year round without falling apart on the southern west coast of British Columbia. What the name of the bike that has a warranty accepting this challenge. Until you have the warranty, you don't have a reliable mode of transportation,you have an unreliable expensive toy.

Before we get into a bike I would ask if you have a good dealer near you and if so what brand bikes do they sell? A warranty is useless if you have to ship it to Toronto or Miami every time you have an issue. I've owned twelve eBikes and currently have eight, from my experience I would suggest getting a name brand bike having a good warranty from a reliable dealer. For example BH and Easy Motion bikes ( same company ) pretty much offer a five year warranty and sell very reliable bikes with dealers in Canada. By the way I'm from Vancouver now living in Vernon. You'll get lots of help on here, good luck.

There's also Pedego. They have decent quality, but I find them overpriced (I ride a Ridgerider and my wife rides a Commuter).
A number of the riders in a seniors group I ride with have Specialized Vados and they all seem happy with them. Mind you, they aren't putting on anywhere near the mileage you plan on doing.
There's also Riese & Mueller. Serious German built quality, but very expensive.

As mentioned above, having a reliable shop that can handle any needed repairs is very important.

Where is the bike that can travel 40kms a day,5 days a week all year round without falling apart on the southern west coast of British Columbia. What the name of the bike that has a warranty accepting this challenge. Until you have the warranty, you don't have a reliable mode of transportation,you have an unreliable expensive toy.
Go see Kelly at Citrus Cycles in Ladysmith and test ride some Riese & Muller bikes - some of the most robustly built, durable bikes. Kelly's reviews on Youtube are outstanding.

If you planning to carry 70-80lb worth of groceries and doing 100mile rides in the weekend with 30mph speeds on flats and still have that ebike running impeccably after thousands of miles there’s only 1 company delivering reliability as of right now.

If a software glitch is a minor issue for you and you would happily waste a few hours to go to a dealer then reliability means something else for you.
Reliability means zero issues while of course taking good care/maintenance of the ebike.

I live on Vancouver Island and in October I dropped in to Citrus on my way back from Victoria. I love the R & M lineup, but they sure are pricey. I like the Moustache line of ebikes too.
The OP specified durability, reliability and serviceability, things normally achieved through superior design, engineering, materials, components, build quality and rigorous inspection. He said nothing about cost, which would logically be higher if all of the above standards were adhered to.

It would be interesting to try and compare the cost and depreciation of an electric bike, similar to what we do with cars. Right now, the IRS has put that cost at $0.58/mile. For the OP, that would equate to spending about $3k per year (again cost + depreciation). Personally, I hope that e-bikes come out much cheaper than a car, but then we need to demand parts designed to last.

It would be interesting to try and compare the cost and depreciation of an electric bike, similar to what we do with cars.
When I'm asked how much an ebike costs, I usually say 'about 10% of the cost of a car'. The enquirer will almost certainly be asking about the purchase price of an ebike so I don't venture into ongoing costs relating to cars versus ebikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, cars cost more and are more expensive to operate, but a good car should easily last 150k miles. The OP was wanting to ride over 5k miles per year. I haven't seen much here (or anywhere) about high mileage e-bikes and the total cost of ownership. I think it would be valuable to collect and present that information. Looking at used bikes, a new bike can easily lose 30% of its value in a year. So depreciation alone could be several thousands of dollars year 1.

A long warranty is good. A reliable product can be even better, since warranties are often only against defects and not against something wearing out (which can happen during the warranty period, and not be covered). A high quality bike pannier that'll stand up against wear (but only has a 5 year warranty) can be a better buy than a medium quality pannier that won't stand up as well against wear but has a lifetime warranty (but one that covers defects only). I look at bikes the same way.

Shimano's warranty is 2 years on their entire electric system (including the battery) against manufacturers defects. My experience dealing with dozens of people who own e-bikes with Shimano systems is pretty much zero problems from early 2016 to now, so nearly a four year period. (I can't think of any warranties at all, but I'll say "pretty much zero" in case I forgot one!) One woman I dealt with did finally start having a reduction in power assist strength after nearly 20K kilometres of riding, but after a re-and-re it was working fine again. And 20K clicks is no small amount of riding to need her first significant servicing!

I think Bosch and Yamaha are also probably nearly equally good to Shimano in overall quality. Brose I'm less sure of, I've experienced a lot of quality-assurance (or lack thereof) problems with Brose motors.

If buying Canadian is important to you then both Devinci and Opus are Canadian companies that exclusively use Shimano motors. Kona is a company that started in Canada (and the Canadian office is still very influential within the company) and uses a mix of Shimano and Bosch. Norco is also Canadian, and is also the authorized Bosch service centre for Canada through its Live to Play Sports division (though, amusingly, Norco sells e-bikes with Shimano motors almost exclusively, despite being the Bosch parts and service centre for Canada!).

I think buying from a Canadian company can have advantages for a Canadian citizen (if a part needs to be ordered in, it might come in faster for example coming from that company's warehouse than from the U.S. or China), but the reverse may be true when buying from a company that's re-badging Chinese bikes. There are lots of companies in Vancouver doing that, and good on them for being entrepreneurial but I'm concerned about the long-term parts and service availability of these no-name bikes.

For a do-it-yourselfer, it might be the right thing to go with a no-name bike if you like to tinker, or if it offers features and the ability to tune it in ways that the class-1 bikes from the big players don't. The rest of us are usually better served partnering with a bike shop that they get a good vibe from, and buying a brand name bike with a brand name motor. And there I'd recommend any of the big local bike shop brands mentioned in this thread, except for Specialized and Giant since my understanding is they expect you to go to a Giant or Specialized dealer only for service and for e-bike-specific parts. Whereas you won't have that problem with Devinci, Opus, Kona, Norco, Trek, etc. If you stick to Shimano or Bosch, you can go to any Shimano or Bosch dealer of which there are untold numbers of each.

But overall when you look at price, long-term durability, size of the dealer network, quality level, weight-to-cost ratio, weight-to-torque ratio, Shimano is usually far and away the best bang for the buck for anyone looking for a class 1 e-bike. For class 2 or 3 you obviously have to look elsewhere.

Full disclosure I do own a bike shop on Vancouver Island, but we sell all four of the big players (Shimano, Bosch, Yamaha, and Brose), and routinely check out new entrants (we just got a bike in with a Promovec motor, and have a bike with a Bafang OEM mid-drive on order). But if that makes me biased, it's only because the Shimano bikes offer us the fewest problems by far. :)

Last edited:
Yes, cars cost more and are more expensive to operate, but a good car should easily last 150k miles. The OP was wanting to ride over 5k miles per year. I haven't seen much here (or anywhere) about high mileage e-bikes and the total cost of ownership. I think it would be valuable to collect and present that information. Looking at used bikes, a new bike can easily lose 30% of its value in a year. So depreciation alone could be several thousands of dollars year 1.

I own a bike shop in BC, so possibly similar terrain to the OP (they didn't say where in southwestern BC they are). We have customers doing that kind of mileage, such as the woman I mentioned in the previous post who has now done over 20K klicks. She bought the bike in January 2017, so she's coming up on three years of ownership. Other than new bike parts (brake pads, chains, etc.), the only thing she's had to do is that one motor re-and-re (remove, regrease with electrically conductive waterproof grease, and reinstall). She's doing about 7500 KM a year or so on a Shimano STePS 6000 motor. All my high mileage customers have opted for Shimano e-bikes (probably because Shimano e-bikes are typically the longest range per Wh of battery, so these kinds of customers gravitate to Shimano e-bikes), so I can't offer any similarly high-mileage anecdotes for Bosch, Brose, or Yamaha yet, and we no longer sell anything from companies without track records of long parts availability so I can't comment on the reliability of no-name product over the long haul (other than to say our experience with it in years past, meaning product we sold 2015 and earlier, was very bad).

Last edited:
The Canadian Automobile Association estimates that the average cost to own and operate a compact car in Canada is $9500 (CAD) a year: https://www.caa.ca/caa-provides-real-picture-of-annual-driving-costs/

The average Canadian underestimates their car ownership costs by about $4000 as well, apparently.

However you slice it, e-bikes are crazy cheap to operate. It varies by local power costs of course, and electricity is very cheap where I live, but a full charge on a 500 Wh battery costs about 2-3 cents here if I did the math correctly. Even considering the hit to maintenance and longevity with each charge of the battery and each use of the bike, it's drastically cheaper than a car. Heck, it's cheaper than buying bus fare, at least where I live.

I own a bike shop in BC, so possibly similar terrain to the OP (they didn't say where in southwestern BC they are). We have customers doing that kind of mileage, such as the woman I mentioned in the previous post who has now done over 20K klicks. She bought the bike in January 2017, so she's coming up on three years of ownership. Other than new bike parts (brake pads, chains, etc.), the only thing she's had to do is that one motor re-and-re (remove, regrease with electrically conductive waterproof grease, and reinstall). She's doing about 7500 KM a year or so on a Shimano STePS 6000 motor. All my high mileage customers have opted for Shimano e-bikes (probably because Shimano e-bikes are typically the longest range per Wh of battery, so these kinds of customers gravitate to Shimano e-bikes), so I can't offer any similarly high-mileage anecdotes for Bosch, Brose, or Yamaha yet, and we no longer sell anything from companies without track records of long parts availability so I can't comment on the reliability of no-name product over the long haul (other than to say our experience with it in years past, meaning product we sold 2015 and earlier, was very bad).
Thanks for the information

It is clear that a car is more expensive to operate but i can count on it. 2 years ago i bought a used car for $3,000.00, Since then I spent $2200.00 on insurance , $4800.00 on fuel, and $450.00 for repairs for 40,000 kms and a total cost of $10,450.00. I just sold the car for $2,000.00. So, in reality, the car cost me 21 cents a km.

The same month I bought a new e bike for $3,000.00, since then I've ridden it 12,000 kms, spent $ 1,200.00 in repairs and had to buy a new battery for $800.00. I have been trying to sell it for $1.000.00 for the last two months but nobody seems interested. The bike has been unreliable and in total was idled more than 3 months waiting for part. If i manage to sale it for $1,0000.My total cost for 12,000 kms will be $4,000 or 33 cent a km.

I love the bike, but I need a reliable mode of transportation. There wasn't a day during that period that I couldn't use the car while for weeks a the time I couldn't use the bike.

I expect some angry replies to this, but these are real figures and most ebike owners that I meet also complained about the unreliability of their bikes

I live in Burnaby and was using my Juiced CCS about 4,000 km's a year (I would have ridden it more but I also ride a Cervelo for commuting) and it's been reliable for me. I did have an odd problem with the controller rotating on my bars which caused the throttle to be pressed. When I turned the bike on I got an error code. I emailed Hilleater who I got the bike through and I got a response very quickly and I was able to fix the problem in less than 5 seconds once I was at the bike.

My experience with David at Hilleater has been great and I'd recommend him.

I have no reason to believe the Juiced wouldn't hold up the usage you're proposing. If you are riding 10,000 km's a year then IMHO even if you only got 2 to 2.5 years of use out of the bike you're getting good value. Say 25,000 km's for $2,500 for the bike and that's 10 cents/km. There are operating costs of course and that would make it a bit more expensive but say it's 12 cents/km. IMHO that is pretty good.

It is clear that a car is more expensive to operate but i can count on it. 2 years ago i bought a used car for $3,000.00, Since then I spent $2200.00 on insurance , $4800.00 on fuel, and $450.00 for repairs for 40,000 kms and a total cost of $10,450.00. I just sold the car for $2,000.00. So, in reality, the car cost me 21 cents a km.

The same month I bought a new e bike for $3,000.00, since then I've ridden it 12,000 kms, spent $ 1,200.00 in repairs and had to buy a new battery for $800.00. I have been trying to sell it for $1.000.00 for the last two months but nobody seems interested. The bike has been unreliable and in total was idled more than 3 months waiting for part. If i manage to sale it for $1,0000.My total cost for 12,000 kms will be $4,000 or 33 cent a km.

I love the bike, but I need a reliable mode of transportation. There wasn't a day during that period that I couldn't use the car while for weeks a the time I couldn't use the bike.

I expect some angry replies to this, but these are real figures and most ebike owners that I meet also complained about the unreliability of their bikes
Well maybe just keep using the car then?

You haven't mentioned your commute, but is a conventional bicycle feasible for your commute?

The OP specified durability, reliability and serviceability, things normally achieved through superior design, engineering, materials, components, build quality and rigorous inspection. He said nothing about cost,
Neither did he say anything about it being made in BC or by "BC company" (the latter would be made in China anyway, quality of design and materials correlates with the price).

Sounds like he is looking for a commuter bike. Many choices here.

Bike is rarely an adequate replacement for a car, so comparing the costs isn't a useful measure to make a decision. Besides, the cost to own and operate a car in Canada depends on many factors. If estimated use is 40km * 5 times a week, this is 10,000 km a year. Depending on your parking situation and the discount you get on insurance, total cost @10,000 km can be under CAD 4,000 a year, including everything. Well under $9500 quoted by CAA.
Buying 5-year old car and keeping it 10 years is different from buying a new. New car loses 10% when you drive it off the lot and then another 10% in the first year. Vanity is a big factor. Most new car purchases, even when done by men, are influenced by women as research indicates. With new ebikes the depreciation curve is steeper yet, though initial cost is usually lower.

Last edited:
There wasn't a day during that {2-year} period that I couldn't use the car while for weeks a the time I couldn't use the bike.

I expect some angry replies to this...
Not angry - sad :)... With all the rain this winter bike didn't look attractive, no, thanks.

Back