reliability

I don't know if missed something, but ebikes are far cheaper to operate than cars. I don't think it is even a debate.
A motorcycle is more comparable to an ebike. A 90 cc motorcycle is cheaper to maintain than an ebike because they are more reliable and the parts are cheaper. The whole bike industry suffers from high prices. I suspect that it is because there are too many manufacturers and they all buy parts from secondary vendors rather than design their own. Just my two cents worth.

It is clear that a car is more expensive to operate but i can count on it. 2 years ago i bought a used car for $3,000.00, Since then I spent $2200.00 on insurance , $4800.00 on fuel, and $450.00 for repairs for 40,000 kms and a total cost of $10,450.00. I just sold the car for $2,000.00. So, in reality, the car cost me 21 cents a km.

The same month I bought a new e bike for $3,000.00, since then I've ridden it 12,000 kms, spent $ 1,200.00 in repairs and had to buy a new battery for $800.00. I have been trying to sell it for $1.000.00 for the last two months but nobody seems interested. The bike has been unreliable and in total was idled more than 3 months waiting for part. If i manage to sale it for $1,0000.My total cost for 12,000 kms will be $4,000 or 33 cent a km.

I love the bike, but I need a reliable mode of transportation. There wasn't a day during that period that I couldn't use the car while for weeks a the time I couldn't use the bike.

I expect some angry replies to this, but these are real figures and most ebike owners that I meet also complained about the unreliability of their bikes

I agree with this. A bicycle is not a car replacement, it can not carry several people at the same time, can not be used to transport large items, can not be ridden under any weather without preparation.

Still they are fantastic for commuting, not only you don't waste fuel but you also save your gym time(at least for cardio) by riding an ebike. For the same reason it improves one's health significantly which is something you can not get byt driving your car. Also one can commute faster depending on the traffic. So I think instead of thinking about these two being each other's replacement, we should think car and ebikes as complementary modes of transportation.

I love the bike, but I need a reliable mode of transportation. There wasn't a day during that period that I couldn't use the car while for weeks a the time I couldn't use the bike.

I expect some angry replies to this, but these are real figures and most ebike owners that I meet also complained about the unreliability of their bikes
Bedi, the enjoyment I have experienced from ebiking has exceeded my expectation; sometimes reliability and dealer support have proved the opposite. My take, admittedly that of a retired person, is that relying on a single ebike as a car substitute is risky.

I agree with your assessment.
David

Last edited by a moderator:
It is clear that a car is more expensive to operate but i can count on it. 2 years ago i bought a used car for $3,000.00, Since then I spent $2200.00 on insurance , $4800.00 on fuel, and $450.00 for repairs for 40,000 kms and a total cost of $10,450.00. I just sold the car for $2,000.00. So, in reality, the car cost me 21 cents a km.

The same month I bought a new e bike for $3,000.00, since then I've ridden it 12,000 kms, spent $ 1,200.00 in repairs and had to buy a new battery for $800.00. I have been trying to sell it for $1.000.00 for the last two months but nobody seems interested. The bike has been unreliable and in total was idled more than 3 months waiting for part. If i manage to sale it for $1,0000.My total cost for 12,000 kms will be $4,000 or 33 cent a km.

All Ebikes are not created equal. There are enough lemons out there ( I know I bought one ) and it is buyer beware so Courts' reviews and this site help. It is important to do your homework and that includes finding a reliable dealer/repair shop near you where warranty issues and after- warranty maintenance will be dealt with. I venture to say that this is even more important than choosing the correct model.

Back