Rear cassette issue's...??? Any advice?

Jz1276

Custom Electric Conversions, Repairs, mods & sales
Region
USA
City
Kissimmee Bay, FL
Hi! I just finished my second build on this Cannondale Trail 6, hardtail. Its been up and running for a little over a week as you soon realize it's never done deal! There's always going to be a little issues that arise, components that need to be tweaked, played with or shaved down(still talking about a bike ;-)...
Anyway, gearing has never really been a strong point for me. The lower gears seem to be working fine but when I get to 6 especially, I start getting some crunching and grinding.
I'm sure I probably have overlooked something... I just took off the rear wheel yesterday and tightened up the cassette which seemed to be loose. That helped but didn't solve the problem. Maybe I'm just expecting too much because it is running pretty good, but ppl inquiring about possibly buying it, or one like it, don't want to hear, "that happens sometimes"...
I had similar issues with the first bike but eventually figured it out and it was just a matter of time. This bike has better components and is better quality, so I'm thinking it can be resolved.
It is a stock 8 gear cassette that I am using, but I switched out the shifter and am currently using a seven-gear twist grip bc that was all that is available at the current time. The LBS mainly deals in custom made the cruiser type bikes and almost frowns upon electric. So anything that I guess I usually purchase online or through all the resources but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend something that would fix the problem indefinitely? Thanks again! Jason

Had exactly the same problem with my build, when in No. 6 it kept jumping, couldn`t ride in that gear at all, though mine was the 7-speed item.
I replaced it with a new 7spd 13-34 cassette and now all seems well

My 8 speed shifted okay at the beginning of the week (when I installed my motor), but by today I couldn't shift into lowest or highest gears. The local bike shop tweaked the set screw limiters on each side, and I recovered the use of those gears. $15 labor.

Are you sure there isn't a shop that would take a look at it?

It's a $5 freewheel and cheap as cheap can be. Buy a Shimano...

Before you trash it, check the chainline in the skipping gear..

BTW you call it a cassette.. Are you sure it isn't a freewheel? Show us a pic if youre not sure.. But make sure before you replace it.

Your LBS will have the right adapter to remove the old freewheel(?), and to tighten the new one.

The problem is he's using a 7 speed shifter on an 8 speed cassette which can be finicky to get working for the whole cassette let alone working well.

Thank you! very interesting info. I noticed it was written a cpl of yrs back. I believe this was mainly written for regular bikes, correct? Can this be applied to ebikes
My 8 speed shifted okay at the beginning of the week (when I installed my motor), but by today I couldn't shift into lowest or highest gears. The local bike shop tweaked the set screw limiters on each side, and I recovered the use of those gears. $15 labor.
Are you sure there isn't a shop that would take a look at it?
I may try to find an 8 gear cassette and an 8 gear shifter.

It's a $5 freewheel and cheap as cheap can be. Buy a Shimano...

Before you trash it, check the chainline in the skipping gear..

BTW you call it a cassette.. Are you sure it isn't a freewheel? Show us a pic if youre not sure.. But make sure before you replace it.

Your LBS will have the right adapter to remove the old freewheel(?), and to tighten the new one.
What am I looking for exactly when I look at the chainline? Also when people talk about adding spacers to bring it out a few mm, what do u think?
Whenever I try to post pics on here it tells me that the file is too big. I'll try

I may try to find an 8 gear cassette

Chances are you have a freewheel, not a cassette! It's possible, but not likely on most bikes made today.

"Freewheels and Cassette Freehubs

They're NOT the same!

This particular page is intended to help you determine which type your bike is equipped with, because there is a great deal of confusion about which is which.
The terms "freewheel" and "cassette" are often used interchangeably, an error that causes a lot of wasted time and money."

Read more from Sheldon Brown here!

Back