Ready to pull the trigger on two different e-bikes, the EBC Model Y and the Biktrix Juggernaut

sixtyfivedays

Region
USA
Hello,

Been doing research for a couple of weeks now and I believe we have landed on the best e-bikes for my partner and I. We have some concerns I'd like to post here before we drop this amount of money on these bikes. For reference we are a bit overweight, weighing about 280lbs and my partner weights about 180lbs. We live in the Pacific Northwest (near Seattle) so there are some very challenging hills including the one we live on that is about half a mile with a 200ft elevation gain (I think it's like a 20% grade but I could be wrong), it's quite the workout even just walking.

Will the Model Y from EBC be able to make it up this hill with some pedal assist? From my research, I doubt it will do it with throttle alone. My partner is on the shorter side so they really don't want to haul this heavy bike up the hill by foot. Everything else about the bike and company seems solid and they are absolutely in love with aesthetics of it.

Now for the Biktrix Juggernaut with the 1000w mid drive, it seems like it will be able to make it up the hill no problem at all. Unlike my partner I will be riding my bike on more varied terrain including more hills. At 280 lbs are my expectations too high? I was considering the Model C with dual motors from EBC but it seems mid drive is the way to go for hills and I really don't want to worry about maintaining two different batteries/motors.

Thanks!

I’m a 250 lb heavyset bear myself and have been enjoying the 750w Juggernaut Duo across any terrain,including absurdly steep gravelly Coast Salish topography.A bit of pedaling uphill,otherwise no issues.It’s an electric motorbike more than anything else.Having also tried the 1000w version,I can say it was very torquey,and would definitely be adequate for any bear’s needs.Very glad to say Biktrix Jugg has been a solid choice for sheer uphill torque alone.Customer service is responsive and fair.Have a fine summer without breaking a sweat.

I have my doubt about the EBC model Y. The 2021 court review is a single speed, which means the rider can't help much up hills. The 2021 model weighs 70 lb and has a 500 w hub motor.
I ride a hub motor up hills, up to 15% grades, at 330 lb gross. With a 280 lb person & 70 lb bike that would be 350 lb gross. I've found 1000 w geared hub motors quite up to the task. 500 W bafang geared hub motors less so. They need a little help.
Look for a geared hub bike that has 750 w, anyway. Also at least 7 speeds if you have to come home after a rain and the throttle has shorted with water. A 32 or 36 tooth rear sprocket would make climbing unpowered doable. At least a 25 amp controller. Watch the weight capacity, some brands list it some don't.
Note any geared hub motor can only climb 1000' feet in an hour without overheating. Rolling hills don't count if you can carry momentum from the downhill to the next up hill and keep the speed up. I cross 80 hills this way in 30 miles and 3.7 hours. Lugging at 6 mph or below straight up a grade is what overheats them. Geared hub motors are not stocked in bike shops in CA, WA, OR, ID, CO Montana because owners abuse them and expect warrenty repairs.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for the response. We would definitely get the 7spd option on the model Y and my partner is much lighter at 180lbs, they might add some panniers later on but I figure it's still ~100 lbs less than the total. Under these conditions could the motor make it up with pedal assist? Unfortunately there is not much momentum to be had as the bottom of the hill there is a light and the incline begins soon after.

200' up won't overheat a hub motor. She could provide some assistance in low sprocket if 28 or bigger rear sprocket. Surface 604 rook has a 500 w motor but a 25 amp controller. At 48 v that is 1200 w for a short time. 9 speed rear sprocket. Call them and ask how big the biggest one is. https://surface604bikes.com/products/2022-rook
Ride1up prodigy has a brose mid drive. More chain maintenance but https://ride1up.com/product/prodigy/
Whoa, the model just disappeared as I was trying to check the # of sprocket speeds. This market moves fast.
Neither bike is pink.

Back