Range 160+ miles Cube Kathmandu Bosch Gen 4 Nyon computer

Bike : 2021 Cube Kathmandu, motor : Bosch Gen 4 Performance with 625 watt battery.
Background: I like to ride long distance and do multi day traveling by bike. I was able to routinely achieve 80+ miles on my previous bike a Giant Road E with Yamaha motor and 500 watt battery. On long trips I carried an extra 500 watt battery in order to do the 125+ mile days.

The Kathmandu with the new Bosch Gen 4 motor is near perfect for my riding needs. When motor is off there is little to no drag when pedaling. This is a big improvement over previous motors and other manufactures.

When first getting the Kathmandu, I was able to get 75 miles on a single charge. The key to expanding the range from 75 to 160+ was replacing the stock Intuvia computer with the new Bosch Nyon computer.

The Nyon is a fantastic unit. It provides lots of useful riding data. The best thing about this computer is the ability to customize the assist levels. This feature is what helped to improve the range.

The Cube Kathmandu factory setting for assist (Level 1 - level 4) : 55%, 120%, 190%, 275%. In all 4 levels the motor stays engaged until rider reaches 28 MPH
In order to get 75 miles the rider needs to use only levels 1 & 2 only (55% / 120%) of assist. The rider puts in matching effort. 190%-275% assist is fun but drains the battery accordingly.

Bosch has an app (E-Bike connect) which can be purchased ($4.) and downloaded to a phone. This pairs with the Nyon & Bosch motor and provides the ability to fully customize the asset levels.

As an example, Level 1 can be configured as follows: (At 0mph 25%, 5mph 45%, 12mph 15%, 18mph 0%)
So each Level can be totally customized for your needs. More important, you can direct the motor to shut off at certain predefined speeds. In the example above motor turns off at 18mph.
I created 4 custom levels: 1:Normal riding, 2:ultra conservative, 3: hills, 4: give me power.

The ability to customize the assist profile coupled with the new Bosch Gen 4 motor (with almost no drag) is a perfect combination and is what helped me to achieve 160+ miles on a single battery.

Be safe out there!

That’s better then a EV car !

What was the avg. speed/elevation/abg. Cadence/ your weight+the ebike weight (panniers ?)
This ride(s) was a test run to dial in the bike/kit. The stats for the 166 miles:
Rider age 72, weight 135 lb, panniers with 15 pounds. total elevation gain 6,400, cadence 62, power as displayed by the Nyon: (Rider 79% engine 21%). One final metric, I also ride a regular rode bike and the Ebike in this test compared to it feels like I'm about 20% stronger, and that is what I was striving for.

I think the Bosch Gen 4/Nyon is a winning combination. This is a perfect setup for distance riders or multi day touring (hotel charging).

I plan to ride San Francisco coast south to home (650 miles) later this summer on this bike. 'Ive completed this trip 9 times over the years, 8 on a regular bike with full panniers and camping, and once on my Giant RoadE (ebike), hoteling. I look forward to this trip on the Cube Kathmandu. The average days miles are 100 with 1 day at 130.

the whole drag thing is pretty overblown. here isa video I did of how much drag there is. but the rest is good info.
I agree. I think a large part of the impression of drag is how danged heavy a lot of e-bike specific tires are.

I know I feel the rotational weight when starting from a stop on my Big Bens, which are "only" 835g. The Marathon E-Plus tires on the Kathmandu are 1395g, which is just over 3lbs per tire.

Once you're rolling it's great though. :)

I agree. I think a large part of the impression of drag is how danged heavy a lot of e-bike specific tires are.

I know I feel the rotational weight when starting from a stop on my Big Bens, which are "only" 835g. The Marathon E-Plus tires on the Kathmandu are 1395g, which is just over 3lbs per tire.

Once you're rolling it's great though. :)
yep I mean I thought it too till I took the chain off and saw. its the same amount of resistance if I turn the cranks backwards. I have the marathons 1.5" I dont need a lot of assistance riding now but I miss the acceleration I get from from assistance. without it its like a fred flinstone car getting going.

yep I mean I thought it too till I took the chain off and saw. its the same amount of resistance if I turn the cranks backwards. I have the marathons 1.5" I dont need a lot of assistance riding now but I miss the acceleration I get from from assistance. without it its like a fred flinstone car getting going.
I know the Flintstone feeling. Nothing compared to my fat tire without assist though. :)

It mostly a minor thing, but sometimes I like going on light trails with some dippity dos, and that's when I feel the lead in the wheels.

k the Bosch Gen 4/Nyon is a winning combination.

That's really good stats, you r also qite lightweight , a 175 or 225lb rider would get less range.

Is the Bosch Nyon good enough to have the map for the GPS routes ? Or is Garmin 1030 better for that ?

Ebiker01- I have not used the map routes on the Nyon, so can't answer which is better. My guess is that Garmin is since they have been at it longer.
antboy - Interesting stats you provided for the Schwalbe Marathon E-Plus tires being 3 lbs each. They are also wide at 2.15. I will most likely replace them with Marathon Plus (Not E-plus) (700 x 35C). I love the Marathon Plus tires. I once got over 9,000 miles on a set with zero flats.

Speaking on bike computers. I currently have the Nyon, Wahoo Element and Garmin Edge. They all have features I like. The Wahoo is paired with my phone and displays incoming text messages and incoming phone calls. The Garmin has the best detail (seems more accurate) of the three for altitude/gain. Although all three have GPS and map/route planing I have not used this feature on any of them yet.

Last edited:
Speaking on bike computers. I currently have the Nyon, Wahoo Element and Garmin Edge. They all have features I like. The Wahoo is paired with my phone and displays incoming text messages and incoming phone calls. The Garmin has the best detail (seems more accurate) of the three for altitude/gain. Although all three have GPS and map/route planing I have not used this feature on any of them yet.
I just got the Nyon from the Kiox and I still use my garmin 1030+ it is better for recording rides showing me the outside temp and my messages and it will send my rides direct to strava. I only use maps I made on rice by GPS then loaded on the nyon.

What about using a good car gps for navigation ? with a few diy steps( power source, mount) it wouldn't be a lot better then a 1030 or other bike specific computers ?
For navigation mostly, let's set aside the 100+ Garmin cycling metrics which for most ppl. are not really needed .

A good system for a car gps is 150-200$ vs 700$ for 1030 Plus(that's the latest model).

or with a front and back camera @ 299$

Last edited:
you can get it for 499. but a car GPS is not made for weather. Plus its s not made to route bike paths and trails and safe ways. I think amazon has it for 499 on the sale.

Back