rail trails across USA

Back to that rough eastern WA stretch...

My best itinerary (so far) is:
  1. Ellensburg, WA - Othello, WA (about 90 miles assuming you can cross the Beverly Bridge.
  2. Othello, WA - Ritzville, WA (Ritzville is off-route but not grossly so, about 60 miles).
  3. Ritzville, WA - Rosalia, WA (60-odd miles). There was lodging in Rosalia but I can no longer find it. But there is a city park and if you call you might be able to camp and charge up there.
  4. Rosalia, WA - Wolf Lodge, ID (70+ miles). From there it is a short easy ride on the Centennial Trail to Spokane and back to the world.
There was lodging in Rosalia and Tekoa but I can no longer find it.
There is plausible powerless camping in the Crab Creek area about halfway between Ellensburg and Othello. There is a mini-mart a short distance south of the Beverly Bridge for watering up and buying groceries for the night.

Last edited:
I once made it a mission to try all the fried chicken at the mini marts in WA. The later in the day, the better, since all the grease drips out!
Ha! You just moved way up my list of crazy people on this forum! 🤪 (I thought there was a throwing-up emoji but I couldn't find it.) Better than mini-mart sushi, I suppose. Maybe.

TT

Back to that rough eastern WA stretch...

My best itinerary (so far) is:
  1. Ellensburg, WA - Othello, WA (about 90 miles assuming you can cross the Beverly Bridge.
  2. Othello, WA - Ritzville, WA (Ritzville is off-route but not grossly so, about 60 miles).
  3. Ritzville, WA - Rosalia, WA (60-odd miles). There was lodging in Rosalia but I can no longer find it. But there is a city park and if you call you might be able to camp and charge up there.
  4. Rosalia, WA - Wolf Lodge, ID (70+ miles). From there it is a short easy ride on the Centennial Trail to Spokane and back to the world.
There was lodging in Rosalia and Tekoa but I can no longer find it.
There is plausible powerless camping in the Crab Creek area about halfway between Ellensburg and Othello. There is a mini-mart a short distance south of the Beverly Bridge for watering up and buying groceries for the night.
The Beverly rail bridge repair was supposed to have been completed by June but that has been pushed back until the end of September. I wouldn't attempt to ride across the Columbia on the I-90 bridge
1612120590873.png

There used to be a bed and breakfast in Tekoa with reasonable rates, I had contacted them a couple years ago. No longer a bed and breakfast and I think the owner has sold or put up for sale.
1612120409450.png

The Beverly rail bridge repair was supposed to have been completed by June but that has been pushed back until the end of September. I wouldn't attempt to ride across the Columbia on the I-90 bridge
My understanding is that some of the businesses in Vantage would give cyclists a ride across the bridge. But I'd rather wait for the Beverly Bridge to be finished before doing the trip.

Anyone reading this thread know about the paved trails in NM or AZ? Chime in if you can, please.

My understanding is that some of the businesses in Vantage would give cyclists a ride across the bridge. But I'd rather wait for the Beverly Bridge to be finished before doing the trip.
That bridge is terrifying.

FYI to all...they just announced that RAGBRAI is on for 2021!
I’m pretty thin on PTO but I might try and squeeze in a couple days this year. It’s been ages since my last Ragbrai and it’d be fun to see how the ebike does.

The only time I saw redwoods was at John Muir Park and there were thousands of foreign tourists talking selfies around every tree, it seemed. Certainly could not ride a bike through the crowd.

I have a lot of trouble trying to use the Rail Trail map, but it looks like the Iowa section is mostly completed. True?
Search 'Mountain Home State Forest' in California. Giant redwoods. Often nearly nobody there. 👍 👍👍👍👍

I tried to talk my wife into supporting this. She would drop me off and wait at a campground with our Aliner, 50 miles ahead. I figured it would require 4 batteries. Two on the bike, 2 on the charger. Problem is, she wants to be able too ride sections also. We would never complete it in a reasonable time frame not to mention our batteries would equal 2/3rd the value of the bikes. Our compromise is to spend a week in Ohio in the fall and do as many rides in the State as possible. I'm supposed to get my second shot on the 8th of Feb @ the VA and Im hoping she can get one in March or April. In the meantime we are knocking off trails here in Fl. I am so hoping we can get back to some sense of normal by June.

I’m pretty thin on PTO but I might try and squeeze in a couple days this year. It’s been ages since my last Ragbrai and it’d be fun to see how the ebike does.
It’s on my bucket list and I’d sure like to do it this year. I’ll need my spare battery to pull it off!

Anyone reading this thread know about the paved trails in NM or AZ? Chime in if you can, please.
I just checked my Trail Link app. NM had nothing that looked worthy of driving there for. I pretty much rely on that app to find any bike trails I might be interested in. As to NM. We loved Taos...mostly the food. Santa Fe, not do much, very very touristy. I had a run in with a parking enforcement officer while I still had a few minutes on the meter, waiting for the wife to return with coffee. Just hus attitude...total d**k.

I tried to talk my wife into supporting this. She would drop me off and wait at a campground with our Aliner, 50 miles ahead. I figured it would require 4 batteries. Two on the bike, 2 on the charger. Problem is, she wants to be able too ride sections also. We would never complete it in a reasonable time frame not to mention our batteries would equal 2/3rd the value of the bikes. Our compromise is to spend a week in Ohio in the fall and do as many rides in the State as possible. I'm supposed to get my second shot on the 8th of Feb @ the VA and Im hoping she can get one in March or April. In the meantime we are knocking off trails here in Fl. I am so hoping we can get back to some sense of normal by June.
I am not going into Ohio this fall unless they have changed their ebike laws. Down thru West Virgina and Tennessee I think. Too bad, I'd like to visit the Great Serpent Mound.

Ultimate objective this year is probably New Mexico and Arizona. That's way further west than I've been, without flying.

I just checked my Trail Link app. NM had nothing that looked worthy of driving there for. I pretty much rely on that app to find any bike trails I might be interested in. As to NM. We loved Taos...mostly the food. Santa Fe, not do much, very very touristy. I had a run in with a parking enforcement officer while I still had a few minutes on the meter, waiting for the wife to return with coffee. Just hus attitude...total d**k.
Were you getting around Taos and Santa Fe on your ebikes?

It’s on my bucket list and I’d sure like to do it this year. I’ll need my spare battery to pull it off!
I’m thinking it wouldn’t be that hard. I can get 70-80 miles in eco mode, and I bet I could do pretty good using a higher mode to go uphill, shut it off going down...If I carry the charger on the bike and stop somewhere for lunch that has an outlet extending the range by 20-30 miles should be doable...might be hard to find on some stops but shouldn’t be impossible. Shouldn’t be that hard to find an outlet in an overnight stop either.

I’m thinking it wouldn’t be that hard. I can get 70-80 miles in eco mode, and I bet I could do pretty good using a higher mode to go uphill, shut it off going down...If I carry the charger on the bike and stop somewhere for lunch that has an outlet extending the range by 20-30 miles should be doable...might be hard to find on some stops but shouldn’t be impossible. Shouldn’t be that hard to find an outlet in an overnight stop either.
70 miles in eco is way more than I could ever need assuming shorepower is available overnight. And what's your guess at milage in turbo?

Were you getting around Taos and Santa Fe on your ebikes?
Way before eBikes, like 5 years ago. That said I love the Southwest. If you have spent little or no time in that region give yourself time to adjust to what looks like a pretty bland landscape. The Desert 🏜️ is for many an acquired taste. But I have to tell you, once onboard, amazing beauty and solace. My favorite areas,.Az...Grand Canyon, Monument Valley, Flagstaff, Sedona. NM regions. Taos, Durango, Mesa Verde/ Cortez region. Also worth seeing Grand Junction area, Co and Moab area , UT. The eBikes will so come in handy just for exploring and "boone-docking" for a night or two to see the unobstructed night sky is something you will never forget. We are heading out to Badlands/Black Hills in June then South and Westerly with no specific destination.

Back