RadRunner Plus StepThru or RadCity StepThru?

TDSmith

I’m looking for input on making a decision. So the basics on me that impact the decision.

I am 69 years old

5’9”

260#

Bad knees and hips

I am a motorcycle and scooter rider but looking for something lower key and more social, quieter too.

Have a 1000’ long hill at 7.5% to leave my neighborhood, but once past that hill it is mainly level interspersed with long sloping inclines and declines.

Other than an occasional gravel street I don’t anticipate using it other than on paved streets or pathways.

I am looking at the RadRunner Plus StepThru and the RadCity StepThru. My preference is the City because of the handlebar style and the simplicity of the direct drive hub but am wondering if the direct drive hub will handle that incline or if because of my weight I need the geared hub of the Runner.

Other than trips to the farmers market or library I will not be using it to carry things and seriously doubt there would ever be a passenger on it especially at my current weight.

I have focused on RadPower because of the price point, longevity in business, rider reviews and the fact it is a somewhat local business.

I have eliminated the Wagon because of its size and the Rover because of the higher step thru. I do not need a folding bike. 20mph is more than I will use, 15 mph will most likely be my max.

Demo rides are not available at this time because of Covid 19, unfortunate since that would answer my questions. So I’m leaning on the forum to help me. Thanks in advance.

I have a 2019 City Step Thru and live in a very flat terrain area (SoCal], so I am very happy with my purchase. I am 5-10, 155# for reference. That being said, I think you would be better served with the Runner Plus over the City considering the hill and hip/knee issues.

Based on posts on this forum regarding direct drive vs geared hub motors and attacking hills with a sub-Olympic athlete physique, I think you would have a better biking experience with the multi-geared Runner Plus mated with the geared hub motor. It has twice the rated torque vs the City to help you tackle hills and inclines, which is important criteria for you.

i have not ridden a Rad bike with a geared hub motor, but I did test ride a Pedego and was very impressed with the acceleration and hill climbing ability of that geared hub setup.

If you have any questions about the City ST, let me know.

Good luck! - RangerDave

Another vote for a geared hub over a direct drive, applied to whatever model you wish!

I chose the Runner Plus (i also was debating between the Runner Plus and the City) because i live in a hilly area and i liked the look a little bit better. But i cancelled out the"step through" by also getting the center console. I am hoping my weak knees won't have an issue mounting the bike without stepping through.

I’m looking for input on making a decision. So the basics on me that impact the decision.

I am 69 years old

5’9”

260#

Bad knees and hips

I am a motorcycle and scooter rider but looking for something lower key and more social, quieter too.

Have a 1000’ long hill at 7.5% to leave my neighborhood, but once past that hill it is mainly level interspersed with long sloping inclines and declines.

Other than an occasional gravel street I don’t anticipate using it other than on paved streets or pathways.

I am looking at the RadRunner Plus StepThru and the RadCity StepThru. My preference is the City because of the handlebar style and the simplicity of the direct drive hub but am wondering if the direct drive hub will handle that incline or if because of my weight I need the geared hub of the Runner.

Other than trips to the farmers market or library I will not be using it to carry things and seriously doubt there would ever be a passenger on it especially at my current weight.

I have focused on RadPower because of the price point, longevity in business, rider reviews and the fact it is a somewhat local business.

I have eliminated the Wagon because of its size and the Rover because of the higher step thru. I do not need a folding bike. 20mph is more than I will use, 15 mph will most likely be my max.

Demo rides are not available at this time because of Covid 19, unfortunate since that would answer my questions. So I’m leaning on the forum to help me. Thanks in advance.

I have the same issues, but a few years older and heavier. I await your decision. Seems like folks are lining in support of the RR+. Seems like it was easier to pick my wife than an e-bike. ;)

After the input about geared hub over direct drive hub for my needs, I find I am back to the drawing board after a much closer look at the RadRunner Plus. The extra of the passenger package is totally irrelevant to my needs and what I’ve read from people about the seat that comes with it being overly firm for longer rides and in order to replace the seat on the RR+ the post needs to be replaced also so that would add another couple hundred$ to a price that is at the max of my top end budget. And it isn’t possible to just upgrade the original Runner (no front suspension) even by adding on fenders, new display, rear rack and new seat to get what I thought I was looking for. I’m re-evaluating the Rover StepThru and mocked up a device to see if I could manage the 20” step over height. Also re-evaluating the original Runner to figure out if I would be happy with it by adding the upgrades that are possible or is it just dressing it up without substantive changes?

Ok so you don't like the RadRunner because of the seat?
And you don't like the Rover Step Thru because of seat height? :confused:
You're 5'9", I don't know why you would be worried about seat height.

I'm just trying to understand your criteria.
It isn’t seat height on the Rover, it is the additional 4” in step thru height.

Another option to think about:

I think a new seat or gel cover plus a new seat post would run more like $50 or less, not a couple hundred. I see gel covers for $20-$30 and posts for $10-$20 on Amazon. The gel cover may provide enough cushion to the original seat to make it a more comfortable ride. Also, thCloud 9 seat comes highly recommended by several people on this forum.

Good Luck! - RangerDave

After the input about geared hub over direct drive hub for my needs, I find I am back to the drawing board after a much closer look at the RadRunner Plus. The extra of the passenger package is totally irrelevant to my needs and what I’ve read from people about the seat that comes with it being overly firm for longer rides and in order to replace the seat on the RR+ the post needs to be replaced also so that would add another couple hundred$ to a price that is at the max of my top end budget. And it isn’t possible to just upgrade the original Runner (no front suspension) even by adding on fenders, new display, rear rack and new seat to get what I thought I was looking for. I’m re-evaluating the Rover StepThru and mocked up a device to see if I could manage the 20” step over height. Also re-evaluating the original Runner to figure out if I would be happy with it by adding the upgrades that are possible or is it just dressing it up without substantive changes?
Check out the mini step through, it seems it has everything you need

My vote would be a geared hub ebike. The extra tq does come in handy for me at +280lbs, hills, and in full winter work commute riding gear+20lbs backpack. The wife has the Radcity step-thru now for almost 2 years because she didn't like the step-over of the regular 2016 Radrover. Another plus I like about the Radrover (reg or step-thru) and Radcity are they are regular sized bikes with ebike components added. Lots of aftermarket choices for modifying them (off-road to urban tires, fenders, rack bags, front suspension, handlebars, etc...). Zero issues securing my rover/radcity on my bike Saris Superclamp 4 platform racks on my vehicle or garage steadyrack storage rack because of the standard sizes. I don't know if the RadRunner Plus 20" tires with fenders would secure on my Saris rack?

I had to modify my 16 Radrover with taller handlebar stem and 420mm bodyfloat+cloud 9 seat to fit me at 6'3". My seat is about 44"-45" inches from the ground. I find it easier to mount the bike by leaning it at an angle towards me around 45 degrees to decrease the step-thru/swing leg over height.

Last edited:
Pure speculation on my part, but I would not be surprised to see a geared hub motor on the City within a year or two. Now that the Wagon is going geared, the City is the lone holdout with a direct drive motor. I can see Rad wanting to standardize all their bikes on geared motors to simplify their offerings and support issues for the future.

RangerDave

I hope I am not complicating the issue but you might also consider the Ride1Up 700 ST. In the same price range and it might meet the compromises you are looking for. As of right now they are shipping August 10.

Pure speculation on my part, but I would not be surprised to see a geared hub motor on the City within a year or two. Now that the Wagon is going geared, the City is the lone holdout with a direct drive motor. I can see Rad wanting to standardize all their bikes on geared motors to simplify their offerings and support issues for the future.

RangerDave

Here's hoping! Or for that matter, 2 similar bikes, one geared, one direct drive....

I ride a 2020 RadRover ST. I'm 71, 193 lbs 5'10" with short Legs;). Seat height works well for me. Ride in quite hilly region lots of power but you do need to pedal uphill using PAS.

Back