Radrover Controller & Display Upgrade Kit

Higher speed equals higher RPM inside the motor, more frictions & heat in the bearings & nylon gears. There is at least a 7 mph difference from my own observation between a stock motor with the Bolton kit vs 750w motor + 52V with the Bolton kit.

Higher speed equals higher RPM inside the motor, more frictions & heat in the bearings & nylon gears. There is at least a 7 mph difference from my own observation between a stock motor with the Bolton kit vs 750w motor + 52V with the Bolton kit.

And what was the temperature difference?

There would be no temp difference unless your average watt usage was running higher. Many who install Bolton's kit will not use more power. A short burst of power to squirt across a busy street, at an acceleration rate and power level that was not available previously, is not going to raise your motor temp noticeably. In spmckinnon's notes above, you can see the result of continuous high power usage that was not available (or adjustable) previously. His notes make it sound like he was running dangerously hot - to the point of a burn down.

As a self confessed temp freak, I'd be interested if you noticed much difference before/after kit install?

2 people running 52v + 750w motor already reported heat issues. I smelled burning plastic, spmckinnon's motor was hot to the touch. Mine is now already turned down, I am not going the risk melting nylon and turn the power back up just to get data.

Yeah, I'll eventually install a temp sensor inside the motor since the Bolton controller supports it.

Does anyone know what safe operating temperatures are for these Bafang 750W Brushless Gear Hub Motors?

Ok, so running the Bolton controller C5 setting at 7/10 is perfect with a 52V battery.

I've put on around 200km/s at this setting.

I can maintain 45km/h with pedaling on flats using 650 - 750W @ PAS 4

PAS 5 on flats bumps up wattage between 1000 - 1200 but also gets speed up to 50/55 km/h

I keep it in PAS4 and then throttle up for short bursts to climb hills, accelerate from stop, etc.

Motor temp stays at stock for the most part and I'm getting way more out of the battery now. I can travel around 60km at PAS4 with some throttling with pedaling.

Incredible.

Bolton Upgrade kits are available again. I'm going to wait a few months until the controller in his kits include a harness to power factory lights on 2019 models.

Bolton Upgrade kits are available again. I'm going to wait a few months until the controller in his kits include a harness to power factory lights on 2019 models.

Annnnd it's gone again..

I'm glad I bought mine. Torque, acceleration and speed up hills is greatly increased.

However, I am getting weird speeds with PAS 1-3. Sometimes, PAS 1 goes around 15mph, other times it's at 18mph. PAS 2 jumps to 21mph, while PAS 3 gets to around 23mph.

Is there anyway that we can change the speeds at the pedal assist levels?

I just read through this forum. I replaced the motor with the 750 Bafang motor and ordered this battery: https://em3ev.com/shop/em3ev-52v-14s5p-jumbo-shark-ebike-battery/. I have some more details on installation for anyone else who is thinking of doing this. I don’t know if anyone else had this problem, but I could not get the freewheel off. Thankfully, I was able to get the screws off of the motor casing even with the freewheel on. I’m upgrading to the DNP 11-34T freewheel so it’s not a big deal. In order to get the screws off of the motor casing, you will need a Tamperproof T20 Torx screw head. Also there is a little piece (I think it’s a magnet) that goes in between the axle and the gears inside of the motor. When you take apart the motor, this might fall out. All in all, it wasn’t too difficult to do. For those who have upgrader the motor and the controller, did you change any settings for the controller?

Attachments

• C2775FA9-0265-4DF1-A5DA-841751D972CB.jpeg
    C2775FA9-0265-4DF1-A5DA-841751D972CB.jpeg
    158.6 KB · Views: 699
  • E5E441DF-F878-4325-BE58-EEAAC9AAA758.jpeg
    E5E441DF-F878-4325-BE58-EEAAC9AAA758.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 667
  • 2AF984B4-D48A-4488-8B2E-BCD17D6FBC20.jpeg
    2AF984B4-D48A-4488-8B2E-BCD17D6FBC20.jpeg
    88.5 KB · Views: 677
Regarding controller settings, in an attempt to make the bike set up the way I wanted it, and to become as efficient as possible with the settings I had chosen, I became pretty familiar with the available settings. So yes, settings were changed. My system involved a direct drive though. Soon, we'll be going back through all that as the direct drive is going to be replaced with a gear drive (MAC 12t), to see what can be done with that.

Big fan of the DNP 11-34, I've read so much of the struggles to remove them, I just ordered a replacement to avoid having to deal with it. I do use anti-sieze on the install, so if I have to remove one, that will make it as easy as possible to remove. -Al

I'd agree that if you aren't looking for anything special, it will operate as is with few changes. Being a bit of a geek, I wanted to see what it was capable of....

Someone said the wattage for the 52v battery was 52v x 17.5a = 910 watts, but I though he bought the upgrade battery at 40a. wouldn't that be 52v x 40a = 2,080 watts. Just need some clarification.

Your math is right, but I'm not sure of your question? The number of the note you're referring to?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Someone said the wattage for the 52v battery was 52v x 17.5a = 910 watts, but I though he bought the upgrade battery at 40a. wouldn't that be 52v x 40a = 2,080 watts. Just need some clarification.
Different things. The 52v x 17.5aH (very important: "amp hours") is the capacity of the battery. Whereas the 40a is the max it can output at a given time. So the 52v x 17.5aH equals 910 Watt-hours of capacity. Think of it like this, the 52v x 17.5aH as the size of a gas tank, whereas the 40a is the size of the hose coming out of the gas tank.

Different things. The 52v x 17.5aH (very important: "amp hours") is the capacity of the battery. Whereas the 40a is the max it can output at a given time. So the 52v x 17.5aH equals 910 Watt-hours of capacity. Think of it like this, the 52v x 17.5aH as the size of a gas tank, whereas the 40a is the size of the hose coming out of the gas tank.
Your math is right, but I'm not sure of your question? The number of the note you're referring to?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!
Thanks for the welcome.
Thank you for that info! So will the 35amp upgrade controller handle the possible 40amp output?
I’ve installed the Bolton upgrade kit, 35a controller & KTLCD-8H display, also the hydraulic brakes. Very satisfied with the extra power & braking (which also rid me of a squeak from the rear tire. I’m now thinking about getting the nominal 750 Bafang motor from Aliexpress. It also seems I need to change my freewheel, I have the 2016 Radrover with 14- 28fw. Either a 11-28fw or 11-32fw. After that maybe the 52v-17.5a battery. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Errol, I don't think you're going to get 40a from your battery. Not for long anyway. All of the battery related wiring (internal and external) is too small (14ga). That would also suggest the BMS will be a limiting factor as well, but I don't know that for a fact. So even if the controller and motor were up for it, you are not likely going to see much over 1500w, or a little less than 30a available.

Later model bikes use a DNP 11:32 which works well (about 35.00 from Amazon). I find myself riding in 3rd, 4th and 5th most often, where the stock gear left me in 6yh and 7th most of the time - and no way could I peddle fast enough to see 20mph.

I would like to be able to justify a 52v battery, but can't. Stock battery still working too well. When it's performance drops off, 52v would be my only choice (with close attention paid to what size wire is used in assembly).

If you're up for a little wiring challenge, rather than get the 750, I would skip right to a MAC with motor wound to your choice of speeds. Just finished a MAC 12t install on my City, and very happy with that.

Errol, I don't think you're going to get 40a from your battery. Not for long anyway. All of the battery related wiring (internal and external) is too small (14ga). That would also suggest the BMS will be a limiting factor as well, but I don't know that for a fact. So even if the controller and motor were up for it, you are not likely going to see much over 1500w, or a little less than 30a available.

Later model bikes use a DNP 11:32 which works well (about 35.00 from Amazon). I find myself riding in 3rd, 4th and 5th most often, where the stock gear left me in 6yh and 7th most of the time - and no way could I peddle fast enough to see 20mph.

I would like to be able to justify a 52v battery, but can't. Stock battery still working too well. When it's performance drops off, 52v would be my only choice (with close attention paid to what size wire is used in assembly).

If you're up for a little wiring challenge, rather than get the 750, I would skip right to a MAC with motor wound to your choice of speeds. Just finished a MAC 12t install on my City, and very happy with that.
AHicks, what would be the benefit of the MAC over the 750? Which one to choose, choice of speeds, will it fit into my present 750 housing & what wiring differences involved?

Thanks for the welcome.
Thank you for that info! So will the 35amp upgrade controller handle the possible 40amp output?
I’ve installed the Bolton upgrade kit, 35a controller & KTLCD-8H display, also the hydraulic brakes. Very satisfied with the extra power & braking (which also rid me of a squeak from the rear tire. I’m now thinking about getting the nominal 750 Bafang motor from Aliexpress. It also seems I need to change my freewheel, I have the 2016 Radrover with 14- 28fw. Either a 11-28fw or 11-32fw. After that maybe the 52v-17.5a battery. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The 35A controller will be the limiting factor. It won't draw more than 35A from the battery. Basically buying the 52v battery with the 40a bms over the 30a version buys some margin of safety as I'm not sure how the 30a version will handle 35a of power draw.

AHicks, what would be the benefit of the MAC over the 750? Which one to choose, choice of speeds, will it fit into my present 750 housing & what wiring differences involved?

No it won't fit your housing, but it can be (and usually is) ordered with a wheel already laced up to it. As far as the differences in wiring, the number of wires will be the same. The colors may even match, but there is no assurance that the wiring will work if you match the colors up. That's the hard part....

As fas as why you might want to put yourself through that kind of trouble, most consider the MAC hubs one of the better quality hubs available, capable of a lot of abuse (temporary high wattage).

Which wind to choose will depend on how you use the bike most often. The 10t sits in the middle of the line up, and is likely the more popular. I chose the 12t because I have no need for speeds over maybe 15mph, AND, I'm an extra large sized rider (6'2" 315). The 8t might better suit a cummuter/flatlander looking for more speed. -Al

No it won't fit your housing, but it can be (and usually is) ordered with a wheel already laced up to it. As far as the differences in wiring, the number of wires will be the same. The colors may even match, but there is no assurance that the wiring will work if you match the colors up. That's the hard part....

As fas as why you might want to put yourself through that kind of trouble, most consider the MAC hubs one of the better quality hubs available, capable of a lot of abuse (temporary high wattage).

Which wind to choose will depend on how you use the bike most often. The 10t sits in the middle of the line up, and is likely the more popular. I chose the 12t because I have no need for speeds over maybe 15mph, AND, I'm an extra large sized rider (6'2" 315). The 8t might better suit a cummuter/flatlander looking for more speed. -Al
Al, the 52v battery comes with its own mounting plate, I would like to use my original 48v rad battery as a backup or for use on a long trek, looking at Aliexpress they also have an empty shell battery case, would it be difficult to convert it for the 52v mounting plate.

Back