Radrover Controller & Display Upgrade Kit

I had no trouble with all three screws by using the top 3 slots, as you can see in the picture here. Maybe Rad changed the mounting spacing from my 2016 to your year. Yeah, I would not trust just 2 screws either. But since you say you were able to line up the bottom two, maybe just drill new hole in the mounting plate between the slots for the top screw.

I had no trouble with all three screws by using the top 3 slots, as you can see in the picture here. Maybe Rad changed the mounting spacing from my 2016 to your year. Yeah, I would not trust just 2 screws either. But since you say you were able to line up the bottom two, maybe just drill new hole in the mounting plate between the slots for the top screw.

Yeah, they must have changed the mountain plate. The new battery and its mounting plate are built better than the Radrovers, which was a nice surprise.

In that photo it looks like you made a 3d printed controller mount, can you share the schematics, it looks like a solid mount.

Here's a few photos from the install....
Note the 2 screw mount location, feels solid but I still worry.

Attachments

• IMG_20190511_200458.jpg
    IMG_20190511_200458.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20190511_200408.jpg
    IMG_20190511_200408.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20190511_200400.jpg
    IMG_20190511_200400.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 15
Looks like you might be able to do this: drill a hole around where the middle arrow is, slide the bottom screw to the bottom arrow area, then the top screw might fit the top arrow area. But take exact measurements first before drilling, and you might have to file the top & bottom arrow areas a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_20190511_200458.jpg
    IMG_20190511_200458.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9
Looks like you might be able to do this: drill a hole around where the middle arrow is, slide the bottom screw to the bottom arrow area, then the top screw might fit the top arrow area. But take exact measurements first before drilling, and you might have to file the top & bottom arrow areas a bit.

Beauty call bud. That might just work.

I have a question about the Bolton kits, I am not looking for more power, I think my 2016 or 2017 rover is already running 1000 W peak stock, I might turn it up a little bit but I am mainly looking to control/program the pedal assist settings, is this controller programmable?

wrote the company a few days ago but I have not heard back

Will definitely buy one if it’s programmable or if anybody knows of another plug and play controller that is programmable using the software any info would be appreciated

The links posted earlier in this tread to AliExpress do not work for me. I have searched AliExpress, and found
AFANG 48V750W Brushless Geared Cassette Motor RMG06 DC 750W Rear Hub Motor CST OLD 190mm Cassette Fat Bike Rear Motor For eBike for $239.

Is this the same one y'all have been purchasing?
AFANG 48V750W Brushless Geared Cassette Motor RMG06 DC 750W Rear Hub Motor CST OLD 190mm Cassette Fat Bike Rear Motor For eBike for $239

I would prefer to purchase stateside. Does any vendor in CONUS have the motor with correct plug? Otherwise, I will order from overseas.

EDITED: DISREGARD. I will upgrade controller & display with Bolton's kit once it has light pigtails, but will not worry about upgrading motor unless something happens to factory motor.

Last edited:
Does anybody know if Bolton has plans to add light pigtail to wire harness from the controller into his upgrade kit?

I would like to get the kit (when available again) for my 2019 RadRover, but will wait if light pigtails are to be added.

I have a question about the Bolton kits, I am not looking for more power, I think my 2016 or 2017 rover is already running 1000 W peak stock, I might turn it up a little bit but I am mainly looking to control/program the pedal assist settings, is this controller programmable?

Will definitely buy one if it’s programmable or if anybody knows of another plug and play controller that is programmable using the software any info would be appreciated

Yes, controller is programable. Exactly what are you thinking of when it comes to the pedal assist settings? What is it you'd like to change?

Here is the controller settings discussed in detail:

So I finally tested out the 52V 17.5ah AliExpress battery upgrade. Made it in to work with full bars left on the battery. Normally I make it in with 1 or 2 bars left. But on the way home, the battery levels were quickly dropping down and made it home with 0 bars remaining. So I'm guessing the battery meter in this controller needs to be adjusted or isn't designed for 52V batteries. That's fine I can use the Voltage reading to gauge remaining battery levels.

It's still impressive that I was able to do a roundtrip commute (48km) on one charge using PAS 3-4 with some several full throttle accelerations.

I think what I'll do now, is still charge it at work but now I am free to run the bike at max speed into work without worrying about running out of power.

The 52V battery upgrade also yielded some additional torque and higher top speed. I highly recommend this mod for anyone looking for more power.

Thanks for replying AHicks
Not sure which rad controller my 2016 rover has because we did change it out but the pas level 1 cuts out at 6mph
Pas2 cuts out at 8-8.5mph but then there is a huge jump to pas3 that is 14.5 mph which is too fast for the multi use bike path I ride on often

Not sure about 4 and 5 because I rarely use them

I want to be able to plug the controller into the bafang software on the Microsoft computer and set the pas levels exactly where I want them....

Bolton sent me the lcd display video and not sure how that one setting that adjust pas levels would work or if it would do what I am wanting

Would prefer to set each level myself for how fast the power ramps up and what mph it cuts power

Hope that makes sense

Vincent - to program controller, you need a kit - programmable controller with LCD3 display. I haven't heard of people programming OEM RAD controllers any other way - if they are at all programmable to the extent that you want. Would like to hear if anybody did it this way, i.e. OEM RAD controller+PC.

You can buy Aliexpress kit (controller+LCD3) for 2 or3 times cheaper than Bolton's, but it won't be plug and play, because connectors will need to be matched/replaced.

Last edited:
Thanks Alex

Don’t use aliexpress and would rather just pay the extra for Bolton because it is plug and play

So is Bolton’s controller programmable if I buy the kit? I do not mind buying a display also, pretty much expected that

Seems there are some parameters to change in the displays but not like the bafang software I have on my Microsoft computer where you can change each pas level individually

No, you won't get that kind of customization with this kit. The setting for assist level is shown in that video as C-14. There are only three settings for C-14: 1, 2 or 3. The default is 2.

I don't think the kind of control Vincent is thinking of is available as well. For starters, all programming is done through the display - not a laptop. Also, in addition to the C-14 options, you can limit maximum wattage available to the motor (C5). Those options will affect what you have available in the PAS levels as well. It's a little messing around, balancing the 2, but my guess is you'll be able to settle on a compromise that works for you.

This is all great info guys, thanks for posting

At this point think I will pass on the Bolton set up
Will most likely sell the rover over the next 6 months to a year and get a juiced rip current or something else

Since it is plug and play if the Bolton was fully programmable and I knew that We could get the pas where I like it would have spent the money just to keep it around for friends to ride etc ....

So I finally tested out the 52V 17.5ah AliExpress battery upgrade. Made it in to work with full bars left on the battery. Normally I make it in with 1 or 2 bars left. But on the way home, the battery levels were quickly dropping down and made it home with 0 bars remaining. So I'm guessing the battery meter in this controller needs to be adjusted or isn't designed for 52V batteries. That's fine I can use the Voltage reading to gauge remaining battery levels.

It's still impressive that I was able to do a roundtrip commute (48km) on one charge using PAS 3-4 with some several full throttle accelerations.

I think what I'll do now, is still charge it at work but now I am free to run the bike at max speed into work without worrying about running out of power.

The 52V battery upgrade also yielded some additional torque and higher top speed. I highly recommend this mod for anyone looking for more power.

What was the 52V battery you bought?

Back