Radrover Controller & Display Upgrade Kit

I have now tried everything I can think of and I’m out of ideas. I fiddled with all the settings in the display and inspected all connectors for bent pins. I also verified that the magnets are as close as possible to the sensor. Here is what happens, all seems normal except that I don’t get any assist whatsoever when I start pedaling. I need to advance the throttle to speed up and then after a while the pedal assist kicks in gradually. This is not normal behavior. I should get pedal assist after the first magnet passes through the sensor. Maybe it is a defective sensor or maybe it’s a defective controller or a defective display. By the way, changing C14 works as it should, but changing C1 has no effect. I am out of ideas of what could be wrong, but something is wrong.

Time out.
Remember me asking these questions?
Is this is a Bolton kit, or something like a Bolton?
Regarding this initial pedaling. I'm wondering how many watts are indicated?
How many watts indicated when you give it full power from a stop using the throttle?
Your C-5 setting?

P-3 should be set to 1. "Imitation torque control" enabled.

Time out.
How many watts indicated when you give it full power from a stop using the throttle?
Your C-5 setting?

The upgrade kit is from
Time out.
Your C-5 setting?

The upgrade kit is from electro bike world. The controller and display are supposed to be identical to Bolton's. From what I can tell they are. My C5 setting at the moment is 10, but I tried other settings too. When I give it full throttle the power goes to more than 1400 watts. But not instantaneously. It ramps up taking maybe one or two seconds to peak. I tried changing P3 and doesn't make any difference. Also, C1 doesn't make any difference.

The upgrade kit is from

The upgrade kit is from electro bike world. The controller and display are supposed to be identical to Bolton's. From what I can tell they are. My C5 setting at the moment is 10, but I tried other settings too. When I give it full throttle the power goes to more than 1400 watts. But not instantaneously. It ramps up taking maybe one or two seconds to peak. I tried changing P3 and doesn't make any difference. Also, C1 doesn't make any difference.
Also, when I say I get no assist when I start pedaling, the watts indicated are zero.

One more piece of information. If I start pedaling slowly and maintain a speed below 3 mph, assist never kicks in and power indicated is zero. When the bike speed reaches between 3 and 4 mph then the assist kicks in.

That doesn't sound like any KT controller I've ever owned/ridden. I'd suggest you speak with Electrobikeworld.

One more piece of information. If I start pedaling slowly and maintain a speed below 3 mph, assist never kicks in and power indicated is zero. When the bike speed reaches between 3 and 4 mph then the assist kicks in.
How fast are you pedaling from initial start to 3 mph? In other words, which manual gear are you in? You need C1=5 for good takeoff without throttle and manual gear 3 or 4. I just use the throttle on every start because of knees and I leave it in 7th gear.

How fast are you pedaling from initial start to 3 mph? In other words, which manual gear are you in? You need C1=5 for good takeoff without throttle and manual gear 3 or 4. I just use the throttle on every start because of knees and I leave it in 7th gear.
C-1 is about PAS sensor polarity. #5 is reverse signal. If his setup requires forward signal, #5 will kill the PAS completely.

I am always in 7th gear. So pedaling is hardest from a stop. But in a stock radrover I never had a problem. In 7th gear from a stop, the assist comes right away with, say less than half a turn of the pedals. With the upgrade, the assist does not come on until the bike gets going past 3 mph. C1=5 is for reverse, it does not work

I am always in 7th gear. So pedaling is hardest from a stop. But in a stock radrover I never had a problem. In 7th gear from a stop, the assist comes right away with, say less than half a turn of the pedals. With the upgrade, the assist does not come on until the bike gets going past 3 mph. C1=5 is for reverse, it does not work
Your PAS sensor must be on the right. Mine is on the left. Do your testing while leaning the bike on the kickstand.

Yes mine is on the right and I tried C1=0 which supposedly is the highest sensitivity. Can you try this on your bike: set the manual gears to 7th (so it's hard to pedal) and start pedaling slowly keeping the speed below 3 mph. Does the assist kick in? If not, slowly increase your speed. At what speed does the assist kick in? Do not use the throttle in this test

About 1/4 turn.
What year is your bike? Rad increased the PAS magnets up to 12 I think for 2019 models because mine has 12. The firmware reacts better with more magnets assuming the settings are right.

Settings for 2019 Radcity

Attachments

• 03FD9B40-5D98-4A86-8990-DF2DACA285EC.jpeg
    03FD9B40-5D98-4A86-8990-DF2DACA285EC.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 155
My bike is an early model, I think 2016, but I have tried both a 6 magnet and a 12 magnet. Since this is a thread for the upgrade kit, I am assuming you installed the kit in your bike. If so, it is acting like it should and something is wrong with mine

Back