Radmini vs mariner

vincent

I love the look of the radmini

Thinking about selling my Mariner 7 and buying the rad

My question is which one do you think rides more comfortable---- the rad with the fat tires or the Mariner with the suspension fork ?

I have never ridden a Mariner but I can tell you the RADMINI is more comfortable then most full size hybrid bikes ive ridden.

Good question! It's driving me nuts - and I'm an experienced erider (modified Bike E recumbent then Motorino BTR). Since I live in Canada near Vancouver, the Rad's US$400 shipping cost is a major owie. But I've straggled (not a typo) up the long steep hill right outside my door too often with 500w non-geared hubba-hubbas... So my lust needle tends to centre on the the Rad's big bad 750w geared Bafang. And that front rack is nice. In real world cruising, I've found 38-40kph is "more better" than 32.

Still...

George's Voltbike fat folder - born of LOHAS in China - leaves nearly $1,000 CDN in my pocket after $49CDN shipping. And no extra expense for the Mariner's included fenders - though its website price seems to vary by $200 CDN day-to-day... The Mariner's geared, fat-stator motor has both good hill-climbing torque and inadequate hill-climbing performance (!) according to this forum. The bike's a bit lighter than the Rad - a big plus. But the battery is smaller. Maybe a minus, 'cept the Mariner's high-tech Panasonic "probably" gives close to the same range. Or better, if I back off the throttle. (Very difficult as it always seems to be stuck on Maximundo Power!) A thousand bucks (CDN) difference and near-local service will probably tip the scale. But wait... I've just learned that a car-owner acquaintance can ferry it up from Seattle, saving me that $400US. (No duty on ebikes. I'll pay the sales tax.)

This choice is seriously hurting my brain. Has anyone out there actually made this decision for one of these fat folders over the other?

Thanks!
Voltman, new member

wow, that is a really tough call

i still think having the local help with voltbike would be the way to go

but i own neither of those bikes, so hopefully some owners will chime in

bet they are both pretty great and you would be happy with either

i ended up getting another folder but a prodeco mariner because of the weight- lifting it on the car rack, cost and because it is for inexperienced friends to ride occasionally

if i had an extra couple of grand and more room in my house i would buy one of those! they are just neat bikes

will be fun to hear which one you decide on and how it does for you

@Voltman, several of my customers own the 2014 and 2015 48V version, 500watt Mariner and just love it. Austin is hilly and the bike climbs like a champ! Good range and very quick start with the bigger battery. Right now, this bike isn't listed on Prodeco Tech's website; however, it is available through a dealer or by calling PTech. The company has been working to switch all of their rear rack mounted batteries over to the nicer, rack and battery system made by Samsung which has a higher carrying capacity than the original rack. The 48V batteries are the only ones not changed out yet.

The 300 watt versions of the Mariner are not quite as powerful but are lighter, so don't confuse it with the 500watt version.
Have you had a chance to test ride any of the bikes you mention? It will help you make the decision in a hurry! :)

ann i think he is looking at the canadian voltbike mariner, not prodeco

the voltbike is a fatbike similar to the radmini

would be interested to hear your take on the battery and motor etc quality on both of those folding "mini" fatbikes

they are so heavy i opted to go with another prodeco, but the fat bikes look really cool

Sorry for the confusion. Vincent's right - the Voltbike Mariner. Good torque (500w fat motor = wider windings), and with its smaller motor, probably slightly better range than the Rad Mini. Near-local parts (no battery/border hassles). Substantial savings would enable motor upgrade later if desired. But... the Rad Mini's already done. Anybody ridden a Volt Marine up a hill...? Thanks. -Voltman

Update: I'm going for the Voltbike Mariner. Price is compelling. Fenders otherwise very difficult to find. Extra battery is affordable. And Vancouver dealer is accessible if problems. Plus, funds left over for upgrades if needed, such as street tires, etc. Review to follow after 1 month riding in steep hilly terrain. -Voltman

Last edited:
I've just taken delivery of my Voltbike Mariner. WOW!!!! On this bike, there are NO HILLS. Everyone is stunned by how cool this bike looks. And I love the fenders and front/rear lights wired into battery. Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful... -VOLTMAN

VOLTBIKE MARINER VS. RAD MINI

My first serious fatbike infatuation was the Rad Mini offered by Rad Power bikes in Seattle. (Nice people!) The marketing video on their website, plus Court’s outstanding video review – which I only watched about 200 times – made me demented with lust.

I ended up choosing the Mariner because:

1. It’s price point is nuts. (Leaving enough change for accessories/spare battery.)

2. It comes with matching metal fenders. (Impossible to find online.)

3. The rear hub motor has a quick disconnect for removing the rear wheel.

4. Front and rear lights are wired to the Mariner’s battery.

5. It’s lighter than the Rad Mini.

6. That helpfully sloping top tube looks cooler than the more “linear” Rad Mini. (I've found it also facilitates bailing out.)

7. No US$400 shipping fee. With customs duty on top. (I live in BC.)

8. Parts and service in Vancouver, on this side of a lithium-shy border.

-Voltman

I thought they were the same weight or really close, how much does the mariner weigh? That would definitely have swayed me

Agree on the price and the shipping, it is a great deal for the price

Did not notice that about the top tube until you pointed it out

According to the specs, the Voltbike Mariner's up to 7 pounds lighter: 57 vs 64. (Actual difference may be closer to four pounds.) Remove the battery and the Mariner's even more manageable. What also grabbed me were the wired front-and-rear lights, and - especially - that quick-disconnect on the Mariner's hub motor wiring. Without it, I've found, completely removing the rear tire to fix a flat is impossible. And very not fun.

I left out another deal-breaker. A thumb throttle on an electric scooter will soon have you wishing for a motorcycle-style "twist" throttle that won't wear out your thumb. But aboard a fatbike with a responsive PAS, a twist throttle is not only unnecessary but DANGEROUS on a bouncy trail where it's too easy to accidentally apply power just when you seriously don't want afterburner. Yes, the Rad Mini allows you to turn its twist throttle "off". But what happens when you need a squirt of power halfway up a rise? With PAS set to 2 (to avoid inadvertently rocketing into that party of hikers), the Mariner's thumb throttle is your best friend, allowing you to modulate power instantly to whatever level is required. I wouldn't leave home with it.

agree completely on the twist throttle, as soon as my radmini is out of warranty it is getting changed over

and i am in the process of doing the same with some of my others

i missed that somehow on the weights when i was deciding, that would probably have tipped me toward the mariner

does anybody know if voltbike is at interbike this year?

Just ordered the Volt Mariner 500 watt limited edition. Was between the Rad Mini and The Volt Mariner ........with all the added features of the mariner Limited Edition has plus a very reasonable $70 flat rate usa shipping cost (Rad Mini $175 + 8 percent tax) to Ca. it was a no brainer. I think I talked to George at Volt 4 separate times and he very very patient and answered all my stupid and redundant questions. What a great company that when you call up you get to speak with the owner of the company and not a sales rep or machine.

VOLTBIKE MARINER VS. RAD MINI

My first serious fatbike infatuation was the Rad Mini offered by Rad Power bikes in Seattle. (Nice people!) The marketing video on their website, plus Court’s outstanding video review – which I only watched about 200 times – made me demented with lust.

I ended up choosing the Mariner because:

1. It’s price point is nuts. (Leaving enough change for accessories/spare battery.)

2. It comes with matching metal fenders. (Impossible to find online.)

3. The rear hub motor has a quick disconnect for removing the rear wheel.

4. Front and rear lights are wired to the Mariner’s battery.

5. It’s lighter than the Rad Mini.

6. That helpfully sloping top tube looks cooler than the more “linear” Rad Mini. (I've found it also facilitates bailing out.)

7. No US$400 shipping fee. With customs duty on top. (I live in BC.)

8. Parts and service in Vancouver, on this side of a lithium-shy border.

-Voltman

Nice break down, Voltman. I'm also contemplating between these two ebikes. Another cool thing about the Voltbike Mariner is that it comes fully assembled and currently ships with a free helmet. Whereas, the Radmini does not. The main advantage, imo, of the Radmini is that it has a 750W motor versus the Mariner's 500W.

OK, I had the big debate about which ebike to get -- Radmini or Voltbike Mariner. For me, Voltbike won. It was close, but I went for the suspension seat post and fenders (though I think I could have easily lined the bottom of Radmini's front and rear racks with milk jugs cut to shape as fenders). So, I pulled the trigger and ordered online.

The first disappointment -- although the Voltbike website says "in stock", I was told it would be a few days before they could ship. All right, I am patient. Second problem, the helmet was not available in the color I wanted. OK, it is "free" so how can I complain.

A few days later, I am told my shiny new bike has shipped, and here is the tracking number. The shipper, YRC Freight, tracks by saying basically "It is on its way", and estimated arrival is 10 days. Really? Are they pedaling it here? Later, that was pushed back another day, but who knows? It isn't here yet.

Oh, and one last disappointment -- the price. Voltbike advertises on Facebook for a great price, but no, they simply don't honor that. So I pay the website price, quoted in US dollars. But my credit card charges a 2% foreign transaction fee. So any price advantage shrinks a lot.

I hope when my Mariner finally arrives some of the bitterness fades.

I too was back and forth. I joined the Rad owners group on Facebook and followed them for a while. I went with the Mini and have been VERY satisfied. Shipped with in a couple of days and arrived in a few more. The box had a couple of minor holes but working for the USPS for 36 years I realize something that heavy is not going to arrive perfect. IMPOSSIBLE !!! My only small complaint is if you get a little aggressive off road a suspension fork would be nice. But at 65 I don't need to get that crazy !
My daughter and son-in-law love it as well as a few more neighbors. My daughter said I should have ordered TWO . I am having a ball with my Mini especially our latest camping trip with 90 degree weather in a hilly State Park.

They do garner a lot of attention but I love talking and promoting e-bikes for us boomers.

Back