Rad White wire speed hack

Ccount

I did the "secret" white wire speed hack on my RadRunner and was very pleased with the 2-3 MPH (10%) speed increase. There were no notable negative issues, and all other parts work just fine. It could be me, but it seems like there may have been a bit more torque as well (I ride on the beach, and felt it handled soft sand a bit better). Either way, for 10 minutes, and $0 (and a piece of electric tape) it is worth it! I am awaiting a new controller and display, which will accomplish this as well, but until then, I will enjoy the speed boost!

Would love to know what exactly you did? I’ve read of this mod but you’re the first I’ve come across to do it to a Rad bike.

Curious as well. Do you loose the speedo function?

The Rad Runner has no speedo, so I cannot answer regarding the impact on the speedo. However, it is my understanding that the models with speedometers can simply be reprogrammed

or

The white wire hack was intended for other Rad models, and most Chinese made controllers for that matter. Some suggest simply cutting the white wire in the 5 wire cable that leaves the controller, and that will work. However, I simply placed a small piece of electric tape over the connector (for the white wire) in the plug to prevent the contacts from , well, contacting. Sorry, that is the best I can explain, but if I find the video, I will post it. This is a general idea, with a different controller.

For those considering this mod WITH speedo equipped bikes, that white wire is supplying the controller and the speedo with the signal they need to control/display your speed. I'm about 99% sure no white wire = no speedo. Likely won't hurt a thing otherwise.

That makes sense. However, if you have a speedo, you should be able to reprogram it to accomplish the same thing!

Reprogram? Explain please.

The speedo needs the signal from that white wire to function.

Perhaps I was unclear. IF the bike has a speedo and LED readout, it can be programmed through a series of key presses to reprogram the controller to take the speed limitation away. Definitely DO NOT do anything with the white wire, if you go that route!

Perhaps I was unclear. IF the bike has a speedo and LED readout, it can be programmed through a series of key presses to reprogram the controller to take the speed limitation away. Definitely DO NOT do anything with the white wire, if you go that route!

Nope, not possible with a Rad display/controller.....

See the first video I posted above? I don't know, because O have a rad runner, but it seems to be a rad rover they are reprogramming?

They are not taking away the speed limit. Just increasing it to the most allowed by RAD (32 kmh). RAD allows some leeway, but it's capped.

That's one of the Bolton kit features. You can set it to limit at 99 mph if you like, or any other speed less than that.

Look, not knocking your white wire speed mod. Just pointing out that it may not be the best plan when your bike is equipped with a speedo. Just providing a heads up because I hate to see somebody that doesn't realize what that white wire does wasting their time messing with this mod.

This hack is for the standard controller (no screen) on the Rad Runner. If you up graded to the screen controller,there is no need to do this mod,just set it up in the programing. I run the orginal controller with a GPS mounted on the handlebars (more accurate,speed distance) So it works very well in this case.

They are not taking away the speed limit. Just increasing it to the most allowed by RAD (32 kmh). RAD allows some leeway, but it's capped.

That's one of the Bolton kit features. You can set it to limit at 99 mph if you like, or any other speed less than that.

Look, not knocking your white wire speed mod. Just pointing out that it may not be the best plan when your bike is equipped with a speedo. Just providing a heads up because I hate to see somebody that doesn't realize what that white wire does wasting their time messing with this mod.

The standard US delivered RAD controller can be set to max 40kph (25mph) easily.

Ccount, please realize this is a Forum where ALL Rad owners congregate to exchange ideas - not just 'Runner owners. The VAST majority of RAD bikes that have been sold to date DO have LCD displays/speedos.

That's why I said what I did about your first comment - to make sure people (those with LCD's/speedos) realized you were working on a bike with no speedo. There was NO intention of discrediting your comment at all.

Ccount, please realize this is a Forum where ALL Rad owners congregate to exchange ideas - not just 'Runner owners. The VAST majority of RAD bikes that have been sold to date DO have LCD displays/speedos.

That's why I said what I did about your first comment - to make sure people (those with LCD's/speedos) realized you were working on a bike with no speedo. There was NO intention of discrediting your comment at all.
Thank you sir. My post was SPECIFICALLY related to Rad Rovers, so I presumed the discussion and replies would also be.

Back