Rad Mini StepThru, Sizeing re Handlebar Height

EasyRiderDude

I'm curious about the Step-thru, I'm considering one of these for my wife who is 5 ft tall. I'm wondering, with the seat all the way down. if the handlebars may be uncomfortably high? My understanding is that the handlebars do not adjust down, they are at a fixed height. Therefore someone like my wife, who will likely need the seat near its lowest setting, might find that the handlebars are too high. Can anyone with a Mini StepThru who may be somewhat vertically challenged, comment on their experience riding this model? THANKS!

ERD

Hi EasyRiderDud,
I'm just under 6 feet tall and never saw the height of the handlebars as any concern, and they sit today at the same height they were when the bike was delivered over a year ago.
The handlebars sit on a two section riser assembly that allows the upper section to be raised or lowered a few inches. I have no doubt they can be adjusted correctly for anyone riding the bike. You will probably discover that the handlebar height is not as much a concern as is the reach forward to grab the grips and operate all the buttons, levers, horns, and switches. First thing I noticed was the exaggerated lean forward that I learned on three previous RADs will put excessive weight on the hands and wrists and after a while will begin to cause sore and irritating pain in the hands and wrists. I now sit upright and that also helps keep my back from hurting since I'm not bent forward all the time.
Every one of my bikes were modified for seat and handlebars, including this step thru, which I found an easy fix to bring the bars closer without adding or making any major change to the steering.
Otherwise the RADMini has a lot to offer in the way of ease in riding and storage you don't get so readily in the other bikes. The center of gravity is low making it easy to hop on and ride and for overall ease in handling, and it has proven to work well whether riding city streets or on soft sand out in the SoCal Mojave Desert.
Happy bike hunting.

Hi EasyRiderDud,
I'm just under 6 feet tall and never saw the height of the handlebars as any concern, and they sit today at the same height they were when the bike was delivered over a year ago.
The handlebars sit on a two section riser assembly that allows the upper section to be raised or lowered a few inches. I have no doubt they can be adjusted correctly for anyone riding the bike. You will probably discover that the handlebar height is not as much a concern as is the reach forward to grab the grips and operate all the buttons, levers, horns, and switches. First thing I noticed was the exaggerated lean forward that I learned on three previous RADs will put excessive weight on the hands and wrists and after a while will begin to cause sore and irritating pain in the hands and wrists. I now sit upright and that also helps keep my back from hurting since I'm not bent forward all the time.
Every one of my bikes were modified for seat and handlebars, including this step thru, which I found an easy fix to bring the bars closer without adding or making any major change to the steering.
Otherwise the RADMini has a lot to offer in the way of ease in riding and storage you don't get so readily in the other bikes. The center of gravity is low making it easy to hop on and ride and for overall ease in handling, and it has proven to work well whether riding city streets or on soft sand out in the SoCal Mojave Desert.
Happy bike hunting.
Thanks Banzai for all the feedback! Appreciate it..... ERD

No Problem EasyRiderDude,
When I bought mine I did a review and you might find some other useful info included in the thread.

BTW This is how your avatar shows up on my compoot. LOL
EasyRiderDude.jpg

Looking at the photos, the RadMini StepThru handlebars do not look like they simply tilt back toward the rider. Can you comment on how you brought the bars closer as you were saying in the above?
Thanks a lot!

ERD

RADMini handlebars won't tilt like they do on the RadCity ST simply because of the requirements of being able to fold up the bike. The RADcity is actually tighter and easier for shorter women because of the swept back handlebars and shorter distance between seat and handlebars. Like the difference between stepping into a sports car after sitting in a Cadillac. Tighter.
Check the link I put above for instructions on how to move the handlebars closer to the rider on the RADMini. There are also some other little tidbits you might like to know about tires and braking, battery, etc.

RADMini handlebars won't tilt like they do on the RadCity ST simply because of the requirements of being able to fold up the bike. The RADcity is actually tighter and easier for shorter women because of the swept back handlebars and shorter distance between seat and handlebars. Like the difference between stepping into a sports car after sitting in a Cadillac. Tighter.
Check the link I put above for instructions on how to move the handlebars closer to the rider on the RADMini. There are also some other little tidbits you might like to know about tires and braking, battery, etc.
Yes.... sorry, I did read those items that you linked to (after the fact, lol.) There is helpful related info in there. Thank you so much!
We may however still go with the Mini ST. Largely because I have ordered (And am waiting on) a RadRunner Plus!. At least with a ST we would have a few parts in common (eg. tires, motor etc.) The rad city has the direct drive hub motor & much larger tires! Not sure that would translate into a better fit for her. Who knows?.... if she likes the RadRunner Plus enough, Perhaps we'll order another. ....OR, I might feel like going to a RadRover (???) & she can have th RR. We'll see.

Thanks for all your input & perspective tho!
ERD

Thanks Banzai for your great review of the radmini st. I actually am looking to place the seat back towards the rear for a couple of inches, increasing the ability for a "foot flat" position, yet with adequate leg extension for my family (5'4 - 5'8). A key piece is turning the stem of the radmini step thru 180 degrees.
I see your link above which mentions it, but could you specify which bolts you used to rotate the stem 180? A pic would be awesome and I saw some other requests for that so you will make alot of people happy! thanks.....

Hi Driftway,
Glad the review was of some help. I've got four different RAD ebikes and did a review for each. The Mini ST seems to be the most popular, but I love 'em all!
I have another extended stem I was thinking of installing so I'll do that and take some pictures and write some instructions that you and HJ19 might appreciate. Might take a couple of days. Just be aware that this little mod would probably void the RPB warranty. Might want to check and see what they say.

Bolton dropped a video today on an adjustable bicycle stem/ handlebar mount. I have one (from Amazon) and it works very well. Perhaps this can help you?

I mentioned it in my handlebar mod I just finished posting on page 2 of my RADMini ST review thread.

Back