R1U better address complaints soon

Kevin just posted a response which was what I wanted to hear.1% failure rate on all bikes shipped. 3000 in just the last month. I'll take those odds anytime. Thanks Kevin for the statistics.

I'm sure a lot more than 1% have failures or serious issues. Their own website says:
  • Bent Disc rotors, or other. (more common) 5%
  • Component breaks in transit or assembly. (less common) 3%
  • Software/firmware glitch missed in testing. (least common) 2%
And that's just scratching the surface.

There was another post earlier the same day where someone was claiming that Ride1up was slow in assisting with his bike getting repaired, wouldn't say how much he would be reimbursed to get a repair done by the LBS, and then when the bike shop charged him, Ride1Up didn't reimburse him for the full bill because they said it was too much. It sounded like he was having a lot of problems. It was an interesting read, but it apparently got deleted a while later.

I'm sure a lot more than 1% have failures or serious issues. Their own website says:
  • Bent Disc rotors, or other. (more common) 5%
  • Component breaks in transit or assembly. (less common) 3%
  • Software/firmware glitch missed in testing. (least common) 2%
And that's just scratching the surface.

There was another post earlier the same day where someone was claiming that Ride1up was slow in assisting with his bike getting repaired, wouldn't say how much he would be reimbursed to get a repair done by the LBS, and then when the bike shop charged him, Ride1Up didn't reimburse him for the full bill because they said it was too much. It sounded like he was having a lot of problems. It was an interesting read, but it apparently got deleted a while later.
Could be 5% of 1%

Curios to read Dugger said eBikes are very complex. There is very little complexity to mounting some electrical components on a bicycle. The complexity comes in when they don't work.

Judging by the question/comments/complaints that I see on here I think one of the biggest problems is customer malfunction. Many of the questions are very very basic and indicate to me that the owners have little or no bicycle experience or mechanical aptitude. That in itself is not really a problem; its when it is combined with the purchase of a direct to consumer bicycle that problems arise. I personally love the lower price tag that comes with direct to consumer, but I'm pretty capable of fixing anything that goes wrong with my bike. Some of these folks would probably be better served by shopping at and working with their local bike shops despite the higher price tags.

Just my opinion, rambling away here late at night. Not intended as criticism, just an observation.

Disagree about blaming the customer.Directions for assembly in some cases are unclear. Information on the web site is not up to date. Yes spokes should be properly tightened but they should come in better condition and include better information about spoke tightening in the assembly directions. Sure many customers do not know much about bike maintenance. But that is true for many first time e bike buyers. Many of these complaints are based on faulty equipment, ie controllers that are defective, controlers and software that are problematic, and need replacement, bent or defective parts, etc. Plus many people have these bikes assembled and or tuned by bike mechanics when they first get them. People whose bikes were proplerly adjusted still report problems with shifting, chains coming off and a host of other things. I do not see so many complaints about Espin or Rad bikes when new. Lectric has some qc issues too it appears but they seem to solve them quickly.

I was very interested in this subject. I did a statistical analysis on people who ordered bikes and how many had problems.

I am confident my findings were scientifically accurate. If I told you my number it would start an argument and one person says this the other person says that and you get nowhere.

I will absolutely, positively, guarantee you that if they say 1% or 5% is not even close.

The one thing that I keep in mind is that I live across the street from a bike shop. The cheapest ebike they have in there is $3000. An average E bike in their shop is about $5,000. They have one in the window that’s $11,999. We paid $1,495 for our bikes.

When I looked at all the electronics components on my bike, my personal opinion is that it’s designed to last 14 to 18 months. I don’t consider this a cut down or even negative, as we paid $1495 for our bikes. If you want to get a bike that will last 10 years, you have to get one of the $3;000-$5000 ones.

Someone mentioned rad bikes. living in Washington state I’ve met probably 50 people with radbikes.

I think three have had problems that were solved right away.

The most common thing I say to rad people is, “on your left” as I go by them.

I just rode up to a pack of rad bikes yesterday. There was about six of them surrounding me. One guy said wow! That is a nice looking bike.

I will absolutely, positively, guarantee you that if they say 1% or 5% is not even close.
Most problems I've seen on the Ride1Up forum are assembly/adjustment related or software related (which requires an update) and routine things like flat tires, not hardware failures.

When I looked at all the electronics components on my bike, my personal opinion is that it’s designed to last 14 to 18 months.

The owner of Ride1Up says you should be able to maintain your Ride1Up bike for at least a decade.

About the controller, he stated, "The 9-mosfet controllers we use are pretty reliable and are even silicon filled to prevent moisture and rattling/shaking damages. All wire prongs are hot-glued, and the controllers are caulked w/ silicon as well for moisture. Most issues will present themselves within the first dozen uses. Beyond that, the defect rate is pretty low unless misused or subjected to extreme conditions. "

Back