R&M SD Belt keeps coming off

I find it interesting that Gates recommends 28-40 lb belt tension, but their Kriket Gauge Tension meter has a scale range of 40-150 lbs. I don't think I would pay $40 or more for a gauge that will not read in the scale I need.

Wonder if anyone has tried using the free mobile app on their phone?
There are many different versions of the Krikit with different tension ranges depending on application and use. Thus you need to pay attention to the specific model number and the color of the plastic doohicky the gives you the reading. I

Here is a photo of mine which is the correct one for bicycle compatible Gates belts. It has ranges in both Kg and Lbs. not the readout range on the frame is 30lbs. to 150lbs. It sounds like you might have the been looking at the right one as the two marks below 50 each represent 10 lbs. You can easily infer a tension lower than 30 by guestimating where the next lower mark would be or you could carefully measure the distance between marks and put a metal friendly permanent marker line with the 25 lbs mark should be. I found right between 30&35 lbs. seems just right.As I no longer have a bike with a gates belt, I would be happy to part with mine for $35 including first class mail shipping within the USA.

Please get in touch with me privately through the message system here on EBR. If you have not done that before, just hover your cursor over my name below my profile photo and click on "start conversation". Note inside the original box is the instruction manual. Many have tried the app that measures the frequency when you strum the belt to determine tension with some success and some failures.
krikit.jpg

Alaskan - that is exactly the krikit that I purchased (Amazon for $28 CDN). There were others for way more money. I did not find the app all that successful.

I agree the app is not reliable.

Before I priced it I looked around at various sources including ebay. I did not check Amazon as we do not support amazon either with our purchases or recommendations. We feel they have lulled our country into putting our neighbors out of business with one click convenience.

You indicated that the krikit you have was not in range but did not specify the model number or show a picture of it. Like I said in my post the one I have is the correct one that starts at 30 lbs. and in fact goes below that, just without marks. So you already have the right one as well. If you need the marks lower than 30lbs you can put them on with a fine tip permanent marker.

I find it interesting that Gates recommends 28-40 lb belt tension, but their Kriket Gauge Tension meter has a scale range of 40-150 lbs. I don't think I would pay $40 or more for a gauge that will not read in the scale I need.

Wonder if anyone has tried using the free mobile app on their phone?
Use the kg side on the Kriket. I don't recommend the mobile app as it gives wildly inconsistent readings depending on the phone being used.

Last edited:
I also just experienced my Gates belt slipping inboard off the centre of the rear sprocket on my Superdelite. I was able to ride home but it was disconcerting as I was originally thinking some had gone wrong with the Rohloff ! I think it was caused when a small branch got entangled with the rear wheel. Anyway, the belt is now properly located back on the sprocket. Lets hope it was a one-off....the bike is 6 months old and has only done 900 miles.

I also just experienced my Gates belt slipping inboard off the centre of the rear sprocket on my Superdelite. I was able to ride home but it was disconcerting as I was originally thinking some had gone wrong with the Rohloff ! I think it was caused when a small branch got entangled with the rear wheel. Anyway, the belt is now properly located back on the sprocket. Lets hope it was a one-off....the bike is 6 months old and has only done 900 miles.
The belt may still be damaged, it has Carbon fibres within it that cannot take any lateral bends, etc.

350 miles later the belt has come off again, so my LBS is ordering a new one and will recheck the tension. Thanks for everyone’s helpful comments and advice.

350 miles later the belt has come off again, so my LBS is ordering a new one and will recheck the tension. Thanks for everyone’s helpful comments and advice.
I suggest rechecking both tension and alignment. Soon after getting my Supercharger2 the belt came off. The left side of the rear axle had slid foward causing misalignment which resulted in winding the belt off.

Good luck.

Back