R&M Charger Nuvinci vs GX Touring - Uphill

Tbone

Just a quick vid of recent pseudo test between Charger Nuvinci and GX Touring. For those not in the know, GX Touring comes with chain, 11 gears, derailleur (2nd bike in vid; colour yellow/curry). The Nuvinci (1st bike; white) is a constant variable hub with a belt drive. Sometimes proudly, other times not so proudly... I'm well over 200 lbs and I do a lot of biking. The reason I don't make it to the top of the hill with the Nuvinci is because of the Big Ben street tires; I'm also out of breath at the top on the Nuvinci. Perhaps the 8 gears of the Nuvinci isn't enough. The 11 gear chain and off-road tires of the GX Touring gets to the top no problem. GX wins uphill (surprise!) but I'd rather ride the Nuvinci on the road.

Great bikes!

Rant and ride safe.

-tbone

Thanks for posting that. I love the concept of the Nuvinci but I wonder about the longterm reliability of the system. A belt drive also sounds like a great idea, but I'm afraid that it might slip on some of the steeper (+15%) grade slopes.

P.S. Hope you're recovering well from your accident. :)

The belt is toothed so it can't "slip", without skipping teeth like a chain, which would likely be destructive, and could not happen unless the tension was way too loose.

Reliability (and torque handling) of the Nuvinci is an open question in my mind too. I just had one replaced under warranty, and will keep y'all up to date on my experiences with the second. I'm really hoping the failed unit was just a fluke. Also, these do not have 8 gears as tbone stated - rather, they are CVT's which are infinitely variable over a 350% range, which is greater range than the 11 gear cassette. However, there are higher frictional losses in the belt and especially the CVT, which may have contributed to loss of speed on the hill climb. I suspect though that the major differences were the tires (and possibly different posture from stem and handlebar variations).

I have read that the Nuvinci takes one or two hundred miles to 'break-in'. How many miles does your Nuvinci hub have on it?

Back