Quickest/cheapest way to upgrade my current ebike for a little more top speed?

Dylan23

Region
USA
I am wondering how I can increase the top speed of my ebike just a little. Currently my bike maxes out at 30mph exact on throttle (GPS verified). I want go about 32-34mph.

Specs
750W Rear Hub Motor
48v 14.5ah battery (not sure on BMS)
22a controller

Honestly 30mph is pretty good, I just want to squeeze out a little bit more for 35mph roads.

Upgrading controllers would probably be very nice, I'd like to pick up speed quicker and have more power going uphill, but I know it's not just a plug and play and I need a battery that can safely operate with the higher controller amps, correct?

I saw a video of a guy upgrading his ebike with a 35a controller + 750w rear hub motor + 52v battery and he got about 34mph in the video. Wondering if I can do the same. I just would need a 52v battery + 35 or 40a controller. Maybe I would need to upgrade the hub motor as well to a higher wattage?

Last edited:
I am wondering how I can increase the top speed of my ebike just a little. Currently my bike maxes out at 30mph exact on throttle (GPS verified). I want go about 32-34mph.

Specs
750W Rear Hub Motor
22a controller

Honestly 30mph is pretty good, I just want to squeeze out a little bit more for 35mph roads.

Upgrading controllers would probably be very nice, I'd like to pick up speed quicker and have more power going uphill, but I know it's not just a plug and play and I need a battery that can safely operate with the higher controller amps, correct?

Hey Dylan,
You’re kiddin’ , right…..😜😏😩 ??

Pretty good? I think it's exceptional, unless you weigh like 100 lbs. Then it drops to pretty good.
I'm basically 100lbs haha. 125. Yeah I agree it's really good for what I have. But I'd love to get just a little better because I like speed.

I'm basically 100lbs haha. 125. Yeah I agree it's really good for what I have. But I'd love to get just a little better because I like speed.
What you aren't going to like, is how quickly you are going to use up your available charge at those speeds. There's also the issue of heat build up in the motor.

We all have different priorities of course, but I would suggest you look into those 2 issues prior to spending a lot of money/trouble only to be disappointed quickly.

Spending close to $1,000 to gain 2-4mph seems like a poor investment to me. People really don't drive 35mph on that road do they? Around here they drive at least 10mph over the speed limit, so you really want to ride at 45 to match the car speed if that is really your goal. I find that anything over 20mph is an exponential increase in battery drain to fight the wind resistance.

Spending close to $1,000 to gain 2-4mph seems like a poor investment to me. People really don't drive 35mph on that road do they? Around here they drive at least 10mph over the speed limit, so you really want to ride at 45 to match the car speed if that is really your goal. I find that anything over 20mph is an exponential increase in battery drain to fight the wind resistance.
Yeah usually a few mph more than the limit. I think I may just get a 1500W kit + 52v battery. Seems like the best bet to achieve what I want

You can try your bike set up with a b(o)rrowed 52v battery. In theory you should get 8% more watts and your motor will turn faster. I don't know if it will be enough for 4 additional mph.

Last edited:
You can try your bike set up with a burrowed 52v battery. In theory you should get 8% more watts and your motor will turn faster. I don't know if it will be enough for 4 additional mph.
What do you mean by burrowed 52v battery?

My response is - if you want those speeds, you shouldn't be messing around with eBikes. You want a motorcycle.
You don't take a motorcycle off-road or on sidewalks/bike lanes. But yeah. I just want to cruise around on back roads/some off road and in the city. Bike trails as well.

You don't take a motorcycle off-road or on sidewalks/bike lanes. But yeah. I just want to cruise around on back roads/some off road and in the city. Bike trails as well.
You very clearly DO take a motorcycle off road. Exploring back roads w/some off road is a blast on a small REGISTERED dirt bike. Sidewalks/bike lanes no. But you don't need 30-35+mph for sidewalks either.

Decent running little dirt bike can be had for about the same money it's going to cost you to make your e-bike do what you want to do.....

I think a 25 amp controller might do you. My 48 v battery will put out 50 amps, so no limit there. I have a 25 amp controller advertised as "1300 w" kit. It reads that on the display sometimes at max throttle. I don't think the motor winding changes at the higher wattages, just the controller and the time before you overheat it.
A DD hub goes faster better, but mine had trouble accelerating across a 6 lane highway before the light turned red. Bikes won't trip the car sensor, even a 94 pound one. A DD hub you can put heat transfer fluid in, and bolt fins to the outside if you wish. DD hubs have the windings connected to the outer shell. 8t geared hub gets you more top speed, less starting torque than the standard 10T. Hard to buy however.
I go 9 miles out of my way on my summer commutes because I can't match traffic and the berms are too narrow to ride on the flatter state highways. 30 miles with 80 hills the back way instead of 21 miles & 52 lower grade hills the car route. I've had cars ram my car back bumper when I drove the speed limit & actually stopped at red lights or stop signs. Some Americans are impressed with their "rights". Main reason I left Houston, lots of that behavior. Last guy that rammed me in Houston, I didn't even have the brake on. Just following an old lady dodging bricks in the road. Fortunately I had a 4" oil pipe for a back bumper, welded to an IH 3/4 ton frame.

Last edited:
I think a 25 amp controller might do you. My 48 v battery will put out 50 amps, so no limit there. I have a 25 amp controller advertised as "1300 w" kit. It reads that on the display sometimes at max throttle. I don't think the motor winding changes at the higher wattages, just the controller and the time before you overheat it.
A DD hub goes faster better, but mine had trouble accelerating across a 6 lane highway before the light turned red. Bikes won't trip the car sensor, even a 94 pound one. A DD hub you can put heat transfer fluid in, and bolt fins to the outside if you wish. DD hubs have the windings connected to the outer shell. 8t geared hub gets you more top speed, less starting torque than the standard 10T. Hard to buy however.
I go 9 miles out of my way on my summer commutes because I can't match traffic and the berms are too narrow to ride on the flatter state highways. 30 miles with 80 hills the back way instead of 21 miles & 52 lower grade hills the car route. I've had cars ram my car back bumper when I drove the speed limit & actually stopped at red lights or stop signs. Some Americans are impressed with their "rights". Main reason I left Houston, lots of that behavior. Last guy that rammed me in Houston, I didn't even have the brake on. Just following an old lady dodging bricks in the road. Fortunately I had a 4" oil pipe for a back bumper, welded to an IH 3/4 ton frame.
I would imagine that chap that rammed you had more than cosmetic damage.

Specs
750W Rear Hub Motor
22a controller

I saw a video of a guy upgrading his ebike with a 35a controller + 750w rear hub motor + 52v battery and he got about 34mph in the video. Wondering if I can do the same. I just would need a 52v battery + 35 or 40a controller. Maybe I would need to upgrade the hub motor as well to a higher wattage?
Instead of paying for a new controller, you can mod yours and boost it to 30a if you want.
Costs10 cents and some technical ability.
I did it to mine because it was defective and putting out 18 instead of the listed 22 peak amps.
If you're getting 30 mph w/ 22 a peak, 25a should get you to 33 or 34 MPH and 30 amps will certainly get you 35-37 MPH.

One caveat, you have to monitor the wire and motor for over heating, especially if you keep it gunned for extended periods.

Installing a 52 volt battery (if your motor is rated for 52v), you will get 8% more speed or
2.4 more MPH.

You very clearly DO take a motorcycle off road. Exploring back roads w/some off road is a blast on a small REGISTERED dirt bike. Sidewalks/bike lanes no. But you don't need 30-35+mph for sidewalks either.

Decent running little dirt bike can be had for about the same money it's going to cost you to make your e-bike do what you want to do.....
I am thinking "Sur Ron". speed is an addiction, I got over it very quickly with no withdrawal pains. There used to be some YouTube videos of People who went blasting down walking and riding trails on Ebikes.I cringed everytime the "star" blasted by Old Folks and Children, it only takes once, even kill someones pet on one of these things, get the picture?

Back