Quick-E+

Why would you want 2.8s? Going beach riding?
Here's another example of clearance from the bike rack:

Attachments

• IMG_3875.JPG
    IMG_3875.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 472
  • IMG_3876.JPG
    IMG_3876.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 453
Bigger tires, lower pressure and going fast = more comfortable :)

I switched to the WTB Horizons on my old Canondale and they were awesome. I'm sold on big tires.

Horizons are only 47mm. G-Ones are 2.25" (57mm). 2.8" rubber will reduce your range considerably.

Horizons are only 47mm. G-Ones are 2.25" (57mm). 2.8" rubber will reduce your range considerably.

Yeah they replaced some 38mm Panaracers so we're a nice upgrade. Big, tubeless. They were awesome. I only need 30km of range so that isn't a worry.

Has anyone here gone tubeless with the "tubeless-ready" G-Ones? Keen to hear feedback.
After each flat tyre I get enthusiastic about converting... then never get around to it since there's a bit of extra cost and it's a process i'm unfamiliar with. Do the rims need tape or is the tape lining that's there already good to go?

Last edited:
Hi everyone... I got one of the last 2019 Quick-e+s around over here a few weeks ago. So far I'm very happy.

It's by no means a huge deal, but I can't figure out how to get phone notifications to show on the screen. I can't find anything about it in the Giant RideControl app or settings (I have the iPhone version) and I'm a bit stumped.

I thought it might be because it's an older firmware version, but I can't figure out how to update that. I read a thread somewhere that suggested Giant may have disabled the firmware update feature due to issues, but can't find anything else about it.

Software Version

Hardware Version

Actually, just looking at the version numbers, and they look old! Wasn't the notification functionality a 2019 feature/update? LBS was meant to do updates before the handover, so maybe I should go back to them? Can anyone who has a current software/firmware update provide their version numbers?

Many thanks for any input-- there's not much info out there on this stuff!

Cheers,
Sean

Hi everyone... I got one of the last 2019 Quick-e+s around over here a few weeks ago. So far I'm very happy.

It's by no means a huge deal, but I can't figure out how to get phone notifications to show on the screen. I can't find anything about it in the Giant RideControl app or settings (I have the iPhone version) and I'm a bit stumped.

I thought it might be because it's an older firmware version, but I can't figure out how to update that. I read a thread somewhere that suggested Giant may have disabled the firmware update feature due to issues, but can't find anything else about it.

Software Version

Hardware Version

Actually, just looking at the version numbers, and they look old! Wasn't the notification functionality a 2019 feature/update? LBS was meant to do updates before the handover, so maybe I should go back to them? Can anyone who has a current software/firmware update provide their version numbers?

Many thanks for any input-- there's not much info out there on this stuff!

Cheers,
Sean

That firmware seems old. I took my bike into the shop a couple of weeks ago and when he connected it to the computer it started updating to a new version. I'm not sure what the new version is but I had an older picture on my phone from before the update and had these versions:

Software version 2018051200
Hardware Version: 20160300000

I use the Strava app on my phone and only connect to the bike when I want to see what the error code is (the wrench on the screen).

MIK racks backorder have finally arrived in NZ, picked it up at lunchtime and fitted it once I got home, once I worked out how to get the plastic lugs out of the mounts small drill hole and hex key pushed in, wind out.

EVEN Better a fix for the rear wheel/derailer hanger issue. Talking to the bike mechanic at LBS he said Gaint have come up with a fix. He needs to order the parts in and will fit them next week for me, when he gives it a service. When pushed on what the solution was, all he was prepared to say is they have gone old school. So hopefully a permanent fix to the issue in weeks time.

Last edited:
MIK racks backorder have finally arrived in NZ, picked it up at lunchtime and fitted it once I got home, once I worked out how to get the plastic lugs out of the mounts small drill hole and hex key pushed in, wind out.

EVEN Better a fix for the rear wheel/derailer hanger issue. Talking to the bike mechanic at LBS he said Gaint have come up with a fix. He needs to order the parts in and will fit them next week for me, when he gives it a service. When pushed on what the solution was, all he was prepared to say is they have gone old school. So hopefully a permanent fix to the issue in weeks time.

Thats good news about the MIK racks... I'm in NZ as well. Would you mind sharing which LBS has them in stock? What's the part actually called?

@Onewbrew Just picked up my rack this morning. 16wk wait! And yea, those lugs are a nightmare. My LBS pointed out that the're not threaded in, said if I pry it out enough with a flat screwdriver i'll be able to use needle-nose pliers to finish the job pulling it out. I've already slipped and stabbed myself with screwdriver so i think you're onto something with the hex key. Fun times.

@kiwitux The rack part is called "Giant MIK Rack Deck 2019". My LBS is Evolution Cycles (Britomart), the ordered stock from Giant arrived at their Ellerslie store and was distributed out from there. Not sure if retailers are holding stock but one would assume Giant NZ has brought in a bunch more than just what was on back-order (but yea, after a 16wk wait, it wouldn't surprise me if they're instantly out of stock already).

Last edited:
It's on my way home. What a small world. Cheers. :)

Aaand, they're out of stock. :( There's one left in store, but it's already being held for someone. I'm assuming it's for one of you fine gentlemen. :) I put in an order for another one. They said they shouldn't be backordered anymore, and should come in a lot quicker now.

EDIT: They just rang back, and no stock left with Giant USA. Backordered till October. It's like Giant didn't expect many people to want to use the rack that they partially equipped on a commuter bike! Oh well, it forced me to get off my butt and get it ordered.

Last edited:
Aaand, they're out of stock. :( There's one left in store, but it's already being held for someone. I'm assuming it's for one of you fine gentlemen. :) I put in an order for another one. They said they shouldn't be backordered anymore, and should come in a lot quicker now.

EDIT: They just rang back, and no stock left with Giant USA. Backordered till October. It's like Giant didn't expect many people to want to use the rack that they partially equipped on a commuter bike! Oh well, it forced me to get off my butt and get it ordered.

That would be me, sorry Blu. Had one on order with Giant Wlgtn, (but you never hear back from them). Rang Evo and ba da bom... cheers M8tt!

Just a heads up, I'm on around 1800kms now and I noticed some play in the rear wheel bearing. It grinds a little on rotation but my LBS says it's ok and adjusted the play. I watched what the mechanic did and basically the lock nut is loosened and the bearing adjusted to be hand tight, then the lock nut is tightened. Now it's fine - just something to be wary of.

Also, my chain and sprockets are still fine. As a motorbike rider also, I've been using Motorcycle Chain Lube - seems to prolong the life of these components.

Can you recommend some pannier bags that won't require me to sell a kidney and can be fitted on the factory rack? I don't want to buy the MIK rack or any additional piece of metal, as I already carry the bike on the stairs and don't want to add extra weight to it.

@popcatalin I ended up getting a Vaude - Silkroad Plus bag. It's fits well to the Quick E+ factory rack with 4x velcro straps which secure well and hold firm. It's pretty compact but expandable when extenders are unzipped and it's one of the few bags that come with a waterproof cover (a huge plus for me in rainy old New Zealand). Perfect size for commuter use IMO. I can definitely recommend it... and i didn't need to sell a kidney. $75nz from Wiggle (42EU).

p.s. BTW the MIK rack is extremely light if you did end up going for an MIK bag, I doubt you'd notice the additional weight.

Bike back from LBS, and they have (not Giant) come up with a solution for the rear wheel moving. Likely this is also adding to some of the chain and cassette wear, some people are seeing, with the wheel being, especially in low gears the increased drive line angle.

Anyways they took out the old derailer hanger and have replaced it with one from a "10 yr old Giant model" that fits (its brand new). The wheel has been moved over a bit and retightened. Derailer has had a link taken out. Im told it has fixed the issue on all the Giant Quick e+ they have done it to. They weren't going to tell me too much but I have a bit of extra colour now, and it didn't cost me.

Great service from LBS.

Attachments

• PF03cpYNQpC3Shg51JT4ng.jpg
    PF03cpYNQpC3Shg51JT4ng.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 459
  • APk6i3YZQtii3x4ZmRrCDg.jpg
    APk6i3YZQtii3x4ZmRrCDg.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 472
Back