Quick-E+

Yes I've had the same issue, these bikes are definitely divas and require a lot of regular maintenance if you ride a lot. I reset mine after two months of riding and it seemed to be holding at last tire change but I'll check it again soon.
I have an issue that looks like a design issue with the frame. I noticed the rear wheel was on an angle when I first did a test ride, I got the LBS to build a new bike up which looked ok and thats what I've got. 160km later and the rear wheel is on an angle and rubbing the left chain stay. Had a look at home tonight a found a few things. The left rear drop out also has the derailed hanger in it. This is held in place by one bolt and replicates the cutout on the frame. But theres room for the hanger to move. Unfortunately the axel on the rear wheel only extends into the hanger portion of the drop out and not in to the frame portion.

So over time with a few bumps, and torque from the motor the dropper gets rotated forward a fraction. This then rotates the wheel alignment and the gape between the tyre and the left chain stay decreases....mmmmm

I have the exact same issue! I went to two different bike shops who said they had no idea what was wrong and suggested the whole frame was slightly warped!
However I have found a better shop who found the derailed hanger was the issue and have told me they raised it with Giant and they are in the process of making a new shorter hanger that should fix the issue. Definitely looks a design issue from Giant.

Also have the creaking on the front fork which is also a known issue with the bike and is getting replaced under warranty. Have had the bike in the shop for weeks now as Giant seem very slow to address this. :-(

Last edited:
Haven't posted up here for a while. My bike has always creaked - due to rider excess weight or so I thought !!!

Took the bike cross country few weeks ago and got multiple punctures from 'bindii eye prickles'. So I've installed extra thick inner tubes and swapped to schrader valves. I had to drill my rims a little using an 8mm to get the valve stem through. I changed valves as I don't carry a pump and might need to use a forecourt air pump. One side effect is that the tyres stay fully inflated for longer and don't drop pressure !

I was hoping to be able to use the integrated rack without having to purchase the MIK deck as I really like the clean lines of the rack. Unfortunately my large back roller classic Ortlieb panniers don't quite work. They *almost* fit but I'm worried about cable rub on the drive train side and also my heels catch on the bags sometimes (admittedly I do have big feet). I've ordered the MIK deck so hopefully that solves my issues without me having to shell out for new panniers (which would be a real shame as I am very happy with my Ortliebs).

Update: My back ordered MIK deck FINALLY arrived after waiting for a couple of months and my panniers now fit much better, worth getting one if you have Ortleib back roller classics.

Haven't posted up here for a while. My bike has always creaked - due to rider excess weight or so I thought !!!

Took the bike cross country few weeks ago and got multiple punctures from 'bindii eye prickles'. So I've installed extra thick inner tubes and swapped to schrader valves. I had to drill my rims a little using an 8mm to get the valve stem through. I changed valves as I don't carry a pump and might need to use a forecourt air pump. One side effect is that the tyres stay fully inflated for longer and don't drop pressure !

You know you can get presta to schrader adaptors right? https://www.99bikes.com.au/valve-adapter-presta-to-sv

Thanks for the heads up but no I didn't know that. Must be too old school ?

Oh well nothing was irreversibility damaged.

Cheers

At least it will be easier to inflate than the presta valves, I still hate loosening them then making sure the pump head is on properly.

Can't remember how I found out about the adaptors but they came in handy when I was commuting on my racing bike, I could just stop at the servo and top up my tyres.

Firstly, this has been a helpful conversation to read, thanks for sharing all of your advice!

Anyway, two weeks ago I ditched my vehicle commute and purchased a Quick E+ 2019 - 45kph New Zealand version. Test-rode loads of bikes, none came close to the ride quality, aesthetics (and speed). Absolutely loving it so far, even though winter in Auckland is not the best time to start cycling (unless you love rain). 14km in 23min, average trip speed 35kph. Far quicker than in a car so I'm happy as.

I'm new to cycling so i'm still getting used to the bumpy ride on a commuter style bike ... considering a suspension seatpost but we'll see if I harden up after a few months of riding. Ordered a Giant MIK Rack Deck (2 month back-order), ridiculous that the Quick-e doesn't ship with this part as standard.

Has anyone got any advice/tips for bleeding / tweaking hydraulic breaks? (Shimano BR-MT501). My rear breaks have somehow gone a bit spongy (more-so than the front). They're still stopping fine, I just need to pull them further than i'd prefer.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited:
After doing my research I was about to pull the trigger on the 2019 Giant Quick E in XL frame.

Unfortunately I've left it too late and no dealers close to me ( Melbourne, Australia) have stock left in the XL frame.

A few shops that I have contacted to try and purchase the bike have said a 2020 model is on its way shortly. So the waiting game begins.

Last edited:
Firstly, this has been a helpful conversation to read, thanks for sharing all of your advice!

Anyway, two weeks ago I ditched my vehicle commute and purchased a Quick E+ 2019 - 45kph New Zealand version. Test-rode loads of bikes, none came close to the ride quality, aesthetics (and speed). Absolutely loving it so far, even though winter in Auckland is not the best time to start cycling (unless you love rain). 14km in 23min, average trip speed 35kph. Far quicker than in a car so I'm happy as.

I'm new to cycling so i'm still getting used to the bumpy ride on a commuter style bike ... considering a suspension seatpost but we'll see if I harden up after a few months of riding. Ordered a Giant MIK Rack Deck (2 month back-order), ridiculous that the Quick-e doesn't ship with this part as standard.

Has anyone got any advice/tips for bleeding / tweaking hydraulic breaks? (Shimano BR-MT501). My rear breaks have somehow gone a bit spongy (more-so than the front). They're still stopping fine, I just need to pull them further than i'd prefer.

Cheers
To bleed brakes you will need the shimano bleed kit, bleed block, tools to remove brake pads and push back the piston fully. Allen keys to remove bolts on brake lever and caliper to connect bleed kit.

I think shimano uses mineral oil. I have sram brakes on my giant so not fully sure. A bike stand would be useful.

There will be an initial outlay to buy what you need but once you have it all you are set to bleed whenever you need. Just need to buy more oil once you run out.

Loads of you tube videos on how to bleed shimano brakes

Bear in mind being an e bike you will get through a lot more brake pads than a conventional bike due to the higher speeds and weight of the bike.

Good luck

Last edited:

Cheers

You should be taking your bike back to the shop in a few weeks for the free 1 month service, get them to look at / bleed the brakes for you then.

You should be taking your bike back to the shop in a few weeks for the free 1 month service, get them to look at / bleed the brakes for you then.
I purchased from Evolution Cycles in Auckland (nation-wide cycle chain in New Zealand), and they have discontinued their free post-purchase tuneup "because people were abusing it".... ummm yea, abusing it? Beats me how customers can abuse a free service. Pretty useless of them right?

I purchased from Evolution Cycles in Auckland (nation-wide cycle chain in New Zealand), and they have discontinued their free post-purchase tuneup "because people were abusing it".... ummm yea, abusing it? Beats me how customers can abuse a free service. Pretty useless of them right?

Haha what a joke, do they mean that people were actually bringing their bikes in for a service? I see that they sell service plans, so they are probably forcing people to buy those.

Mind you I wasn't impressed with Giant Sydney city, on the first ride home I had to adjust the gears when I got home because they didn't even tune the bike on assembly.

Haha what a joke, do they mean that people were actually bringing their bikes in for a service? I see that they sell service plans, so they are probably forcing people to buy those.

Mind you I wasn't impressed with Giant Sydney city, on the first ride home I had to adjust the gears when I got home because they didn't even tune the bike on assembly.
They're definitely going for the up-sell on the service plans, pretty lame since i've already spent thousands with them. Your comment about Giant Sydney not tuning your bike reminded me of when I went to pick up my Quick-E+ ... the rear mud guard & rack assembly was quite crooked which meant the mudguard was angled an inch off to the left of the back tyre. I pointed this out and they replied "what was my problem with it?" (WTF?)... then tried to blame it on Giant's manufacturing tolerances. Obviously it was not good enough so I stood my ground and they reluctantly agreed to fix it. Came back in a few hours and it was set correctly. I'm pretty new to this cycle thing.... so far my experience of cycle stores hasn't been particularly positive.

Last edited:
I've officially hit 1000 miles on my Quick E+ odometer! I'm also down 10lbs since getting the bike. My co-workers think I'm a little crazy for biking 23 miles to work but I'm loving it. I'm up to riding round-trip 3-4 times a week now.

Some thoughts:
- The Kinekt seatpost is amazing and has significantly improved my ride comfort!! Highly recommend
- At about 500 miles my back tire started to rub on the left and caused my wheel to start to come apart down the center which caused a flat. Giant ended up covering the wheel under warranty and about a week and a half later it was fixed (had to wait a week for the warranty wheel to come). I think if I had caught the back wheel rubbing earlier it wouldn't have been an issue.
- I've have the back wheel rub on the left a couple of times. When it does I just loosen and re-tighten the wheel and that seems to fix it. Seems to be the same issue as many others are having in this thread.
- My chain broke at 890 miles. I've been pretty rough on shifting and need to be more careful. It broke when I was at a stoplight trying to start - I forgot to downshift before coming to a stop.
- I discovered all of the bikers here use the Strava app to track their rides. Pretty cool app!
- I met a group of riders that all meet up at the same spot and ride into work together (probably 15+ miles of my trip is on a bike trail). This has helped my motivation to ride.
- I thought I was crazy for biking 46 miles a day but there are some folks I've met that ride 2x what I ride on a normal bike - crazy! I guess there is always someone crazier out there.

I'm impressed, riding 46 miles a day is pretty amazing and you are reaping the health benefits already!

If you broke your chain that early and you don't intend dramatically changing your shifting style I would recommend you probably change you chain every 500 miles or so, the reason is that a worn chain will also wear our your cassette. I also cringe when i hear the crunch but for me it's usually when I'm in sport mode on take off.

I don't know what Giant were thinking when they put those crappy nuts on the rear, to me they are undersized and don't have enough grip as a result.

Anyone had any update on MIK rack adapters recently for ANZ or are they still on the forever backorder?

I talked to John at Giant NZ and they said "Unfortunately they are unavailable and will be for a while we have about 6 on back order with Giant and are waiting for them. They have no ETA"

Any pannier fit well without the Mik Rack adapter?

I talked to John at Giant NZ and they said "Unfortunately they are unavailable and will be for a while we have about 6 on back order with Giant and are waiting for them. They have no ETA"

Any pannier fit well without the Mik Rack adapter?
Yeah I’ve got a Kathmandu pannier (no longer sold) that works, wanting something a bit bigger so waiting for mik adapter

Back