Quick-E+

Has anyone had issues updating their early 2018 models with the new RideControl App?
I did. It took forever. I noticed that it now has a gauge that goes from left to right indicating how much assist is being used. Don't recall seeing that before the update.

I did. It took forever. I noticed that it now has a gauge that goes from left to right indicating how much assist is being used. Don't recall seeing that before the update.

Did you still just have the three assist levels or did it go to the five? Were you able to adjust the assist levels at all?

Did you still just have the three assist levels or did it go to the five? Were you able to adjust the assist levels at all?
Sorry I goofed upon my reply. My 2018 was a Explorer with 5 modes and from what I understand Giant switched to 5 modes mid-year on that bike. I'm not sure if its a different motor or different programing.

Hi everyone, just joined as I'm a month in on my 2019 Giant Quick E+ and wanted to share my experience.
I chose the Giant because it looks the guts, and has the technical chops too. I noticed different markets seem to get different specs, the Australian one I have is 25km/h (boohoo) 42T single chain ring, 11-36 rear cassette, Schwalbe G-One 584x57 (27.5x2.25) tyres.
Mods I've already made:
Removed the fenders as I don't like them and they rattle around. Yeah I get more dirt/water splashes but the bike is more rugged now. This also required a remounting of the rear light which was on the fender to now be under the seat - also looks cooler :)
Replaced grips with Ergon GP1 style copies (do the same but half the price!). Had the same issue as others with the left grip which also acts as a spacer for controller, but a bit of plastic and tape fixed this. Stock grips are pretty lousy.
Added the Speedbox2 derestricter, what a difference this made. The bike now behaves how it's supposed to and is a lot safer in traffic because I can keep up rather than be an obstacle.
Next mods will be a larger chain ring - 42T is not tall enough and I run out of gears at just over 40km/h. Maybe a 48 to start with?
Thinner tyres. I don't know anything about tyres but the stock items are quite fat which can't be good for speed.
I'll see if I can post some pics as the mods I've done make a good bike even better.

In summary it's an awesome bike and I love riding it. It just needs some tweaks from the factory to make it the perfect commuter :)

Hi everyone, just joined as I'm a month in on my 2019 Giant Quick E+ and wanted to share my experience.
I chose the Giant because it looks the guts, and has the technical chops too. I noticed different markets seem to get different specs, the Australian one I have is 25km/h (boohoo) 42T single chain ring, 11-36 rear cassette, Schwalbe G-One 584x57 (27.5x2.25) tyres.
Mods I've already made:
Removed the fenders as I don't like them and they rattle around. Yeah I get more dirt/water splashes but the bike is more rugged now. This also required a remounting of the rear light which was on the fender to now be under the seat - also looks cooler :)
Replaced grips with Ergon GP1 style copies (do the same but half the price!). Had the same issue as others with the left grip which also acts as a spacer for controller, but a bit of plastic and tape fixed this. Stock grips are pretty lousy.
Added the Speedbox2 derestricter, what a difference this made. The bike now behaves how it's supposed to and is a lot safer in traffic because I can keep up rather than be an obstacle.
Next mods will be a larger chain ring - 42T is not tall enough and I run out of gears at just over 40km/h. Maybe a 48 to start with?
Thinner tyres. I don't know anything about tyres but the stock items are quite fat which can't be good for speed.
I'll see if I can post some pics as the mods I've done make a good bike even better.

In summary it's an awesome bike and I love riding it. It just needs some tweaks from the factory to make it the perfect commuter :)

Good post! I'm interested in your Speedbox 2 purchase/install. Which site did you get it from? How was the install.....any issues stuffing the wire and connectors in the housing and then closing it up? Any issues with getting incorrect speedo or mileage readings?

Thanks!

I got mine here: https://www.speedbox-tuning.com/
Followed these instructions here:
It was mostly straight forward, the motor bolts were really tight so make sure you have good tools (I actually bent my torx bit undoing them). Getting the wires out was easy but getting them back in was a pain, a lot of dicking about figuring out how to get them back up the pipe but patience persevered. Took about 45 minutes all up.
I noticed afterwards that my trip meter was reset back to zero, and my average speed reading is very low (was about 22km/h beforehand, now says 6km/h. Other than that it's all good.

Mods I've already made:

I believe Schwalbe G One is one of the best tires(if not the best) when it comes to rolling resistance. It is probably much better than any thin tire you can get for your bike and since it rolls so well you can probably run it around 30-40psi to get a smooth ride.

Hi all

I haven't purchased yet and currently ride a motorbike to work but would like to switch to an Ebike for the fresh air and exercise aspect too. My commute is 20km along the Bay Trail from Sandringham to the CBD, which is all flat but headwinds are a serious problem especially going home when the wind is coming off the bay at 15-20 knots, usually from the SouthWest. I had a longish test ride on a Trek Super Commuter but found it heavy and the tires are too wide and not that comfortable. I have also had a brief go on a Quick-E 2018 which I like a lot better than the Trek, but would buy the 2019 if I decide to bite the bullet.

I've arranged an overnight demo ride next week from Giant South Yarra, so I can bring the bike back to the office in the CBD and ride home from there.

By the way, it's great to have a forum like this to swap stories and upgrade ideas. Will probably go with a Speedbox 2 like @HarryWiz above. I'm an IT consultant so of course I installed the Giant app on the Android phone, so will give that a go during the test ride.

Hi all

I haven't purchased yet and currently ride a motorbike to work but would like to switch to an Ebike for the fresh air and exercise aspect too. My commute is 20km along the Bay Trail from Sandringham to the CBD, which is all flat but headwinds are a serious problem especially going home when the wind is coming off the bay at 15-20 knots, usually from the SouthWest. I had a longish test ride on a Trek Super Commuter but found it heavy and the tires are too wide and not that comfortable. I have also had a brief go on a Quick-E 2018 which I like a lot better than the Trek, but would buy the 2019 if I decide to bite the bullet.

I've arranged an overnight demo ride next week from Giant South Yarra, so I can bring the bike back to the office in the CBD and ride home from there.

By the way, it's great to have a forum like this to swap stories and upgrade ideas. Will probably go with a Speedbox 2 like @HarryWiz above. I'm an IT consultant so of course I installed the Giant app on the Android phone, so will give that a go during the test ride.

The 2019 Quick-E is a sharp ride. I have the 2018 with almost 1000 miles on it. I have no complaints about the bike. I was a dedicated Trek fan but I got the same impression as you. I just could not justify an additional $2K for brand loyalty. The tires on my Quick - E are just a little thinner at 2.0 inches but the new Quick - E has wider at 2.35 I believe, but I think they are pretty high quality. I ride along the river for part of my commute and I get headwinds, but not anything like those coming off the ocean. I hope you enjoy your ride. I certainly have.

The 2019 Quick-E is a sharp ride. I have the 2018 with almost 1000 miles on it. I have no complaints about the bike. I was a dedicated Trek fan but I got the same impression as you. I just could not justify an additional $2K for brand loyalty. The tires on my Quick - E are just a little thinner at 2.0 inches but the new Quick - E has wider at 2.35 I believe, but I think they are pretty high quality. I ride along the river for part of my commute and I get headwinds, but not anything like those coming off the ocean. I hope you enjoy your ride. I certainly have.

Nice to see you are happy with the '18. I agree with you about the extra $$$ for the brand. My current bike is a Trek but ahem it has lasted me a while - it's a 1997 Trek ZX6500, so I deserve an upgrade.

Are you talking about the chain guard? Mine has one...

Attachments

• chainguard.JPG
    chainguard.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 529
Although I've just ordered a new 48T chainring (42T standard isn't big enough for road riding) so this will probably come off as it won't fit with a bigger chainring. I struggled to find a big chainring and couldn't find one with a suitable sized guard so will be interesting to see how it goes without one. Anyone else upgrade theirs?

Not sure, I assume the speed is read from the sensor on the back wheel. I'll do some GPS speed readings before and after to confirm

Back