Quick-E+

Hey Guys, just pulled the pin on a new Quick-E+ 2019.

I got a fantastic deal from Giant Bikes Hampton, which is now part of Ivanhoe Cycles. I'd found a bike shop in Gosford, NSW selling them very cheap, and was considering flying up there, hiring a car and driving the 1000kms back. So I mentioned this to Giant and they immediately gave an almost equivalent discount (plus the bucks the travel would have cost me), but without the hassle of travel. On condition I bought it today, something to do with bumping up the sales figures to increase bonuses etc. because it is end of month.

I'm actually away for work next week so won't get to ride it. But at least it's there for when I get back.

I've also just ordered a SpeedBox 2 ;)

Thanks to all the posters on here for providing useful info. It definitely makes it easier to bite the bullet.

I got a fantastic deal from Giant Bikes Hampton, which is now part of Ivanhoe Cycles. I'd found a bike shop in Gosford, NSW selling them very cheap, and was considering flying up there, hiring a car and driving the 1000kms back. So I mentioned this to Giant and they immediately gave an almost equivalent discount (plus the bucks the travel would have cost me), but without the hassle of travel. On condition I bought it today, something to do with bumping up the sales figures to increase bonuses etc. because it is end of month.

I'm actually away for work next week so won't get to ride it. But at least it's there for when I get back.

Thanks to all the posters on here for providing useful info. It definitely makes it easier to bite the bullet.
Yeah I saw the same place in nsw selling it very cheap on bike exchange like just under 3k!. Good to know they are willing to price match it.
Let us know how it goes. I was going to get the quick e+ but was put off a bit about hearing police following riders on ebike waiting to do them in.

Did the shop have the FASTROAD-E+ 2? That looks a little better in terms of speed/crankset (50/34) compared to the 42T on the Quick e+.
What did your's come with?

Also is the SpeedBox the way to go? Are there other methods out there that allow for the rider to quickly pull off any dongles so it's not detectable?

I looked at the Fastroad but it has a slightly smaller battery and had no integrated lights. I also like having the option of jumping up gutters when traffic is a car park so I can get around it, so the road bike tyres aren't so good for that. You can buy a 48T chain ring that screws straight on from ebay for $30 if you want similar gearing. I can't imagine that a 50T would be of much use on a bike limited to 25km/h?
I haven't had any problems with cops but I'm not riding in a style that a regular cyclist can't already do. The motor simply allows me to ride like a club rider with half the effort :)
Speedbox2 was the best dongle I found, they have good reviews and respond quickly to any questions I had.

The only ones are the external dongles that fool the speed sensor magnet but then it is obvious as it is external and your speedo reading will be wrong as it is fooling the sensor. The speedbox is hidden inside the frame and needs to be activated every time you turn on the bike (and can easily be deactivated also)

On another note, after 9 months I have just change my brake pads (City riding).

I see they mention the Speedbox-B (Bluetooth) is now available for the Bosch motors. Have you been in touch with them and found out that this will be available for the Giant SyncDrive (Quick E+ with EVO display)? If so, did they give you a time line?

Thanks...

And one of the reasons I went for the SpeedBox 2 is that I asked if I purchased now would I get the Bluetooth option later and they said they would accept the Speedbox 2 as a return and 'I would pay the difference only' to get the Bluetooth version. Which seems very fair although I would be paying extra in postage. But....looking at the price of the Speedbox-B I can see why they agree to that.

I'm actually enjoying using the RideControl app so I'm unsure if I would bother given the added expense. Plus the RideControl can export to Strava even though I'm not really into the Stage competitiveness, but seems well built so good in that respect.

Maybe the only advantage of the B version is the motor lock and I reckon it could also probably go into Stealth mode. After all, the LBS only has to hold down 'Walk Mode' to see that you have 'Tuning' installed so if that can be disabled from an app, nobody would know.

Although I hear the Giant dealers have tools to examine the performance you have been getting from the Bike so they are likely to suss it out anyway.

@HarryWiz , do you have a link to the Ebayer for the 48T?

Yeah I saw the same place in nsw selling it very cheap on bike exchange like just under 3k!. Good to know they are willing to price match it.
Let us know how it goes. I was going to get the quick e+ but was put off a bit about hearing police following riders on ebike waiting to do them in.

Did the shop have the FASTROAD-E+ 2? That looks a little better in terms of speed/crankset (50/34) compared to the 42T on the Quick e+.
What did your's come with?

Also is the SpeedBox the way to go? Are there other methods out there that allow for the rider to quickly pull off any dongles so it's not detectable?

When I was testing a Demo bike, there were plenty of strong cyclists passing me doing 35-40km/h using leg power alone. I could have done the same for a short distance !~

If the police are chasing e-bikes they must be taking the p..... and going 50Km/h with 1000W motors or something.

I think the best option is to find a bike shop willing to let you have a decent demo ride so you know what you are getting into. You'll see. As HarryWiz said it's just like you have been practising alot.

Yeah I think when you hear those stories of cops harassing ebikers, I think they are harassing those guys with highly modded, high power bikes that can go 80km/h on throttle hooning around like motorbikes.
If you're behaving like a regular cyclist, a really fit, powerful cyclist :) you should be ok.

You guys must live quiet crime free area.....I've never seen or heard of e bikes being of interest to law enforcement.

That's pretty good as when I bought my 2018 Quick-e back in March Giant Sydney would not price match with a shop in Perth which was the cheapest I could find, they gave me a few hundred off but I preferred that to having to do possible warranty claims between Sydney and Perth. If that shop in Gosford had the bike for $3K back then I would have driven the 45mins to do it!

I've done a few commutes on the loan bike now - they aren't coming to collect it so why not. I'm finding that I like a Cadence of about 63-64 which equates to 32-33km/h in top gear. I'm wondering what speed that might equal with a 48 tooth?

Going by this https://www.bikecalc.com/gear_speed
A 42T chainring with 11T cog @ 63rpm = 33.6kph so it's bang on what you got.

So assuming the calc is correct here are the theoretical speeds achievable (disregarding wind resistance, tyre pressure etc)

42T = 33.6 kph
43T = 34.4 kph
44T = 35.2 kph
45T = 36.0 kph
46T = 36.8 kph
47T = 37.6 kph
48T = 38.4 kph
49T = 39.2 kph
50T = 40.1 kph

So going to 48T might give around 5 kph difference at that cadence
At 50T which is what the fastroad e+ has, it goes to up 6.5 kph.

However the gains go up as you increase the cadence, at 85 rpm the 42T = 45.4 kph whereas 48T = 51.8 kph and the 50T = 54.1 kph

However I wouldn't want to run the quick e with just a 50T. Might make hill climbs a little more difficult.
Again the fastroad e has 36/50 which is good. Might pop in the the giant shop and see if the fastroad can take the same tyres as the quick e with fenders + rack.

But the white quick e still looks the best :)

Does the rear light on the quick e light up when the brake lever is engaged?

LOL.....got to peddle faster.

Personally I am going to stick with the stock chainring for a while, until it gets annoying , which probably wont be long.

I don't know about the rear light - in my version it's on most of the time with the lights, but I haven't noticed it coming on with the brakes.

Given that info, if the oem 48T chain ring results in 32kmh is there any point to installing a dongle (Speedbox 2) to go faster? Would it/is it a comfortable cadence above that?

I was riding my early 2018 quick E today to work and a wrench popped up on the display. Anyone know what this means?

Also, what is the recommended maintenance for the Yamaha motor? I am doing the typical bike maintenance (clean lube chain etc) but I figure there has to be some things to make the motor running well.

Given that info, if the oem 48T chain ring results in 32kmh is there any point to installing a dongle (Speedbox 2) to go faster? Would it/is it a comfortable cadence above that?

The bike comes with 42T at least in our parts or the world. 32kph is for the 42T not 48T. If you replace it with a 48T at 63rpm you'll be doing 38kph not 32kph.

Without the speedbox you'll get no support at those speeds for a 25kph limited bike.

I usually try do around 80rpm on my road bike. I read somewhere that 80-100 is the most efficient and what most cyclists recommended. It's not bad as long as you're in the right gear. Of course do what feels comfortable to you.

I read the Yamaha motor produces max power at 70rpm or so. So you might want to target that or close to it.

Last edited:
I was riding my early 2018 quick E today to work and a wrench popped up on the display. Anyone know what this means?

Also, what is the recommended maintenance for the Yamaha motor? I am doing the typical bike maintenance (clean lube chain etc) but I figure there has to be some things to make the motor running well.

I'm pretty sure its a sealed motor and no user maintenance is required. I don't think anyone who had a rear hub motor e-bike ever opened to motor to service it either? (I certainly didn't). Plus if you break the seal on the sealed motor you risk water / moisture damage without re-applying sealant.

If you've connected the RideControl app there is a System Doctor function in there which may give you some more clues about the spanner icon

Back