Question about current gen Bafang BBSHD

cruzer

Can anyone tell me if the current gen Bafang BBSHD will allow the use of throttle while peddling?
I read a post on the forum stating at some point the software changed and you had stop peddling to use the throttle?

Is the current BBSHD 25 or 30 amp from the factory?

Also, best place to purchase a Bafang BBSHD? Aside from Alibaba, looks like some US vendors offers tweeks (upgraded amperage or controllers) and support would be welcome in the event of a problem.

Thx!

Can anyone tell me if the current gen Bafang BBSHD will allow the use of throttle while peddling?
I read a post on the forum stating at some point the software changed and you had stop peddling to use the throttle?

Is the current BBSHD 25 or 30 amp from the factory?

Also, best place to purchase a Bafang BBSHD? Aside from Alibaba, looks like some US vendors offers tweeks (upgraded amperage or controllers) and support would be welcome in the event of a problem.

Thx!

DOST Ebikes is doing it, with a 750W Bafang G340 (BBS02), mid drive motor, 120 nm of torque, so maybe.

Aside from Alibaba?
What about AliExpress?

Also Eunorau sells one
To me Aliexpress is just a marked up version of Alibaba. Aliexpress is geared more towards consumers than B2B, but you can still produce the same products on ALibaba usually at a much lower price.

Doing what? Throttle?

BBSHD bikes usually come with throttle as well.
Yes this is from their website

"A high-performance 750W mid-drive motor (throttle & pedal assist) for high speeds and hill-climbing 750 W 120nM of torque, 28MPH Top Speed"

I'll try to find the post, but someone stated (at one point) Bafang changed the software and you couldn't use the throttle unless you were peddling. Was looking for the current status on the throttle operation mode.

I guess I could call some of the US resellers and ask....if I purchase a BBSHD I want to make sure I have the option of applying the throttle without pedaling.

I've bought two BBSHD kits from EM3EV over the last year and have no problem with throttle with/without peddling. I have them hooked up to an Eggrider though, not the standard BBSHD display.

Hey martin_v2,

How do you like the BBSHD, and how are they holding up? How do you like the Eggrider display? (have you used others?)

Was just watching the Luna Cycle teardown of the Bafang M620 vs and BBSHD, and it looks like Bafang has really upped their game with the m620. Was planning on covering an existing MTB, but makes me wonder if I should spring for a new bike with the M620??

Last edited:
Hi cruzer,

I'm happy with the BBSHD so far, the only issue I had on one of my bikes is that the motor kept coming loose after a few rides but I discovered that I did not line up the notches on one of the adapters properly and I think it's fixed now.

I'm not too familiar with the M620 but the torque sensing would be an improvement over the BBSHD's motion sensing. But for now I'm happy with the way that the BBSHD does pedal assist. If I need some extra power while pedalling I just hit the throttle a bit. Maybe if the M620 frames become more readily available locally I'll build one of those and get the benefit of torque assist. When I was looking around last year where to buy all the parts, it seemed much easier to go to the local bike shop and get a bike there rather than order an M620 frame from China that may or may not fit me.

Hi cruzer,

I'm happy with the BBSHD so far, the only issue I had on one of my bikes is that the motor kept coming loose after a few rides but I discovered that I did not line up the notches on one of the adapters properly and I think it's fixed now.

I'm not too familiar with the M620 but the torque sensing would be an improvement over the BBSHD's motion sensing. But for now I'm happy with the way that the BBSHD does pedal assist. If I need some extra power while pedalling I just hit the throttle a bit. Maybe if the M620 frames become more readily available locally I'll build one of those and get the benefit of torque assist. When I was looking around last year where to buy all the parts, it seemed much easier to go to the local bike shop and get a bike there rather than order an M620 frame from China that may or may not fit me.

Thanks Martin, good info.

I'm kind of in the same boat...I need an XL frame, and the (Alibaba) frame and bike builders in China either couldn't give exact frame dimensions, or told me there largest was the "equivalent" of 19" frame (and I usually need a 21").

Bottom line...it is hard to commit $$$ to a frame or complete bike, without a proper test fit.

Glad to hear no problems with the BBSHD. I'll probably covert an existing bike for my first venture into ebikes. I'll have to keep an eye on mounting the BBSHD, I read someone else who had a problem with wear and slop in the aluminum bottom bracket housing. Sounds like the initial installation and proper torquing) is key for the mid drive installation.

Back