Qualisports owners?

trevorm

Any Qualisports owners out there, or anyone who's spent more than a few hours with one? I'm curious what your experience has been like, specifically when it comes to build quality, durability, and support. I realize it probably isn't going to rival a premium bike in this regard.

I'm impressed with the design and value of the Volador and Dolphin, and am seriously considering picking one up as my first ebike. I've been drawn to the Tern Vektron and Riese and Müller Tinker, but both are a hefty investment for me and I'm thinking it might be smart to start with an affordable bike to determine my actual usage patterns. I'm in NYC and am planning on using this primarily for my short (5 mi) commute.

Qualisports owner here. I have the Nemo since have a very short commute; 1.5 miles each way, mainly flats with a small incline. I bought it from a local shop here in the Bay Area.

I was in the same boat as you in terms of not wanting to invest heavily. I already had a Juiced Cross Current Air (overkill) and an electric folder (Dilllenger). I wanted something even more simple (single speed) and lighter (32lbs or so).

Originally I got the Volador and even that was bigger than I wanted to tote around/park. The Volador might fit your requirements. Before I bought the Nemo I had been emailing with the staff at qualisports and they’ve been very responsive; they even told me about the dolphin as an option early on so that was impressive. . I highly recommend their product.

Qualisports owner here. I have the Nemo since have a very short commute; 1.5 miles each way, mainly flats with a small incline. I bought it from a local shop here in the Bay Area.

I was in the same boat as you in terms of not wanting to invest heavily. I already had a Juiced Cross Current Air (overkill) and an electric folder (Dilllenger). I wanted something even more simple (single speed) and lighter (32lbs or so).

Originally I got the Volador and even that was bigger than I wanted to tote around/park. The Volador might fit your requirements. Before I bought the Nemo I had been emailing with the staff at qualisports and they’ve been very responsive; they even told me about the dolphin as an option early on so that was impressive. . I highly recommend their product.

Thanks! How long have you had it? Any issues so far? Also, is everything stock on it or did you make any aftermarket upgrades? I'm already thinking about upgrading the saddle, possibly the tires.

I don’t care for any plastic folding pedals so that’s the first to go regardless of the bike. As far as saddles, that’s always a personal preference so I went with Origin8 which I use on all my bikes. Everything else is stock; I’ve had it for about a week and compared to the Dillenger it’s a straightforward commuting tool. I think another thing to be cognizant about is the battery capacity as it’s a smallish one. It doesn’t bother me as the Dillenger has to be charged every third day (I’m getting another charger to have at home and work). You getting the Volador?

I don’t care for any plastic folding pedals so that’s the first to go regardless of the bike. As far as saddles, that’s always a personal preference so I went with Origin8 which I use on all my bikes. Everything else is stock; I’ve had it for about a week and compared to the Dillenger it’s a straightforward commuting tool. I think another thing to be cognizant about is the battery capacity as it’s a smallish one. It doesn’t bother me as the Dillenger has to be charged every third day (I’m getting another charger to have at home and work). You getting the Volador?

I'm looking at the Volador and Dolphin as I don't need an ultra-light bike - I'd be fine with 50 lbs. I actually just came across the Motiv Stash, and while it's a bit more expensive it does seem to have a nice collection of features for the price - front suspension, 8 spd, included rack, integrated lights. The streets here in NYC can be pretty bumpy and rough, so the lack of suspension and no possibility to add seat post suspension does give me pause when it comes to the Qualisports stuff.

I'm looking at the Volador and Dolphin as I don't need an ultra-light bike - I'd be fine with 50 lbs. I actually just came across the Motiv Stash, and while it's a bit more expensive it does seem to have a nice collection of features for the price - front suspension, 8 spd, included rack, integrated lights. The streets here in NYC can be pretty bumpy and rough, so the lack of suspension and no possibility to add seat post suspension does give me pause when it comes to the Qualisports stuff.
Tested the Stash before. Got the Dillenger. 1800 vs 700 dollar bikes. I ride road/fixed/cyclocross so I’m used to no suspension.

Regardless you can’t go wrong with either the Stash or the Dolphin/Volador.

Tested the Stash before. Got the Dillenger. 1800 vs 700 dollar bikes. I ride road/fixed/cyclocross so I’m used to no suspension.

Regardless you can’t go wrong with either the Stash or the Dolphin/Volador.

What was your impression of the Stash? I take it the price was a major factor in your decision? Also, having ridden both the Stash and the Volador, how would you compare the two? Think the Stash is worth an additional $700? I’d probably be changing the seat and pedals of the Dolphin, as well as adding a rack.

What was your impression of the Stash? I take it the price was a major factor in your decision? Also, having ridden both the Stash and the Volador, how would you compare the two? Think the Stash is worth an additional $700? I’d probably be changing the seat and pedals of the Dolphin, as well as adding a rack.
I really liked the Stash when I test ride it s couple years ago. It was the weight that was an issue since I was going to be toting around; the Volador is also a bit heavy for how I am using it and it wouldn’t fold down to a small enough size for me. The price also; for me, it was hard to justify costs of suspension fork and racks. Today, If price were removed from decision making, I’d still get a qualisports bike as the aesthetics (as petty as it is) makes a difference also. If you are getting the Dolphin, I believe the battery pack has a bigger capacity so that’s always a plus.

I've put 1500 miles on the Volador since April and am quite enjoying this bike. I've upgraded a few things, most notably a comfort saddle, aluminum folding pedals, and Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. The bike rides brilliantly now and gets plenty of attention. I have a 7.5 mile commute and ride 15-30 miles on a typical day.

Any Qualisports owners out there, or anyone who's spent more than a few hours with one? I'm curious what your experience has been like, specifically when it comes to build quality, durability, and support. I realize it probably isn't going to rival a premium bike in this regard.

I'm impressed with the design and value of the Volador and Dolphin, and am seriously considering picking one up as my first ebike. I've been drawn to the Tern Vektron and Riese and Müller Tinker, but both are a hefty investment for me and I'm thinking it might be smart to start with an affordable bike to determine my actual usage patterns. I'm in NYC and am planning on using this primarily for my short (5 mi) commute.

I've put 1500 miles on the Volador since April and am quite enjoying this bike. I've upgraded a few things, most notably a comfort saddle, aluminum folding pedals, and Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. The bike rides brilliantly now and gets plenty of attention. I have a 7.5 mile commute and ride 15-30 miles on a typical day.

Thanks for the feedback! I pre-ordered a Dolphin and can’t wait to get my hands on it. What kind of saddle and pedals did you get, and are you happy with them? I’m already planning on updating the tires, saddle, and pedals, so want to start gathering some ideas.

Thanks for the feedback! I pre-ordered a Dolphin and can’t wait to get my hands on it. What kind of saddle and pedals did you get, and are you happy with them? I’m already planning on updating the tires, saddle, and pedals, so want to start gathering some ideas.

Right on... the Dolphin should be a great bike! Pedals are the MKS FD-7's, which are great. My saddle is the WTB Comfort saddle. It's certainly an improvement over the stock saddle and looks very similar, however I wouldn't mind swapping it out for something a little different... perhaps a Sunlite Cloud-9.

I have ridden the Dolphin about 50 miles so far. I charged the battery when there was still 2/5th's of the battery still remaining to use. At that time I had ridden about 33 miles using throttle a lot and pedal assist in all ranges of 1 to 5. This is a great eBike.

My wife has one also and though she likes using the bike at pedal assist of zero she loves the bike for its ease of use and getting exercise and when needed the pedal assist is great. Very easy to ride with and without using the battery.

Hello, I'm awaiting arrival of my "Black Friday" Dolphin, my first ebike! Stoked!

Definitely going to delete fenders and quick release seat clamp. Also going to swap out shifter for top-mounted SL-FT55-7R, relocate thumb throttle to right side, new grips, seat, better pedals, teflon cables, and upgrade any corrodible hardware. Considering the Juin Tech R1 Hydraulic brakes kit, and Schwalbe Super-Moto-X 20x2.40" tires...appreciate any thoughts on those!

I wanted to ask a bunch of newbie questions:

(a) has anyone upgraded their display from KT-LCD5, to say, KT-LCD8H with USB? It seems to be a prettier setup, with USB power, and plug and play swap with KT Controller, but haven't had a satisfactory confirmation of that!

(b) has anyone upgraded the included headlight to an LED light bar for mount under the front basket? What is the power output to the OEM light? What are the dimensions of the front basket?

(c) what do other owners do to secure their bike at, say, the grocery store, or coffee shop? The 8lb seat post battery has me a bit worried...but no way I'm carrying that sucker around. Better to fix it to the bike, I think. Maybe wind a thin cable from saddle bars to seatpost bolt?

I'm excited, if you can't tell.

Hello, I'm awaiting arrival of my "Black Friday" Dolphin, my first ebike! Stoked!

Definitely going to delete fenders and quick release seat clamp. Also going to swap out shifter for top-mounted SL-FT55-7R, relocate thumb throttle to right side, new grips, seat, better pedals, teflon cables, and upgrade any corrodible hardware. Considering the Juin Tech R1 Hydraulic brakes kit, and Schwalbe Super-Moto-X 20x2.40" tires...appreciate any thoughts on those!

I wanted to ask a bunch of newbie questions:

(a) has anyone upgraded their display from KT-LCD5, to say, KT-LCD8H with USB? It seems to be a prettier setup, with USB power, and plug and play swap with KT Controller, but haven't had a satisfactory confirmation of that!

(b) has anyone upgraded the included headlight to an LED light bar for mount under the front basket? What is the power output to the OEM light? What are the dimensions of the front basket?

(c) what do other owners do to secure their bike at, say, the grocery store, or coffee shop? The 8lb seat post battery has me a bit worried...but no way I'm carrying that sucker around. Better to fix it to the bike, I think. Maybe wind a thin cable from saddle bars to seatpost bolt?

I'm excited, if you can't tell.

Congrats goldfinch! I have almost 200 miles on my Dolphin and my wife has around 80. The bikes are awesome. I am looking to find some wider foldable pedals for my bike and a better seat. I will not be adding any other equipment. I am quite satisfied with what I have so far.

I agree that using a cable through the seat clamps is the best thing I can think of. I have a U shaped lock and the cable lock that I am using to secure the bikes if we ever need too. I have not had the need to yet. Rode 20 miles yesterday at the beach and around our bay in San Diego. Was definitely easier with electricity when you have on shore winds hitting you.

Good luck with your Dolphin. Sounds like you have some mods to do. I recommend the Ultra Expandable Lunch Box I got from Costco for the front basket. Fits perfect.

Mark

PS: FYI - The fenders come in handy since I went through some big puddles from the rain yesterday. I am glad I had them.

I just received my Black Friday Dolphin. Everything assembled pretty easily. The only thing I'm having trouble with is the mounting of the headlight after the install of the front basket. Looks like the only place to mount it is inside the basket on the basket mounts. I really did not want to take up the space inside the basket. It doesn't seem to have enough extra wiring to move the light to the front (outside) of the basket. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
Lynn

I just received my Black Friday Dolphin. Everything assembled pretty easily. The only thing I'm having trouble with is the mounting of the headlight after the install of the front basket. Looks like the only place to mount it is inside the basket on the basket mounts. I really did not want to take up the space inside the basket. It doesn't seem to have enough extra wiring to move the light to the front (outside) of the basket. Anyone have any experience with this? Thanks.
Lynn
I first mounted it in the basket but moved it to the front hole in the front of the basket. I wound the light through the rack spaces and had just enough room to fasten it up there.

Mark

I first mounted it in the basket but moved it to the front hole in the front of the basket. I wound the light through the rack spaces and had just enough room to fasten it up there.

Mark
After seeing your post and talking via email with Alex at Qualisports I did the same. Alex told me there is extra wiring in the control box and I had just enough to mount to the front of the basket. I have been very pleased with Qualisports response to all of my questions.

Although it looks cool, at just 9.8"x8.6" the front basket seems to be an inch too small to receive the ubiquitous 8"x11" reusable grocery bag. Might need to take it to a smith to get it sized-up to where it can better serve some purpose, for me.

QS Dolphin arrived, but disappointed to report that the bike was packed with a completely smashed LCD from the factory. There are no glass shards in the foam wrap or box that might point to a mishap in transit. The foam handlebar wrap had a good seal and was molded to the shape of the shattered non-operable and essential LCD. Also not happy I paid $30 rush overnight which took weeks and wasn’t refunded. Fenders and racks were packed separately, which is fine by me. Hopefully controller, battery, and motor actually work...now I have to wonder.

Update Jan 7: Derailleur arrived twisted and bent and left alloy crank arm couldn't rotate beyond rear chainstay. Both need to be replaced. Qualisports have said they would credit back express shipping, comp for damaged parts, and send a replacement LCD.

Attachments

• 61D9B0E7-5F56-44CD-8571-7223D65814BA.jpeg
    61D9B0E7-5F56-44CD-8571-7223D65814BA.jpeg
    220 KB · Views: 589
  • F3F57DC4-73BE-43FD-9476-3B21D66AAEA7.jpeg
    F3F57DC4-73BE-43FD-9476-3B21D66AAEA7.jpeg
    249.8 KB · Views: 633
  • 30FEFC2A-8561-48CD-A9A6-1FEC093F2787.jpeg
    30FEFC2A-8561-48CD-A9A6-1FEC093F2787.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 590
  • E7E027C2-D0C6-4453-A7B4-E373965EC628.jpeg
    E7E027C2-D0C6-4453-A7B4-E373965EC628.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 573
  • 69E134DD-07C3-463F-BE74-6E8F35C052D9.jpeg
    69E134DD-07C3-463F-BE74-6E8F35C052D9.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:

I have owned my Volador since May 2019. Originally I bought it for visiting guests to ride as it seemed unfair for my wife and I to be riding ebikes and our guests acoustic bikes. But then I discovered that I really enjoy riding the Volador around my community. It's light and compact and pretty fast. But what I really like is the smooth programming of the controller that eliminates the jerky on/off response of so many rear hub motors. This bike is smooth and easy to ride and not intimidating. The big issues for me were the saddle and questions about the range of the 7 amp/hour battery. I did replace the seat with a Bikearoo comfort saddle that is very springy, helping to smooth out the ride. I ordered auxiliary lighting off Amazon for front and rear (though the bike comes with lights) to be seen better. I haven't replaced the plastic peddles but haven't had issues so far. As for the range, I am an active rider and use very little throttle. I use peddle assist 1 or 2 and rarely 3 with appropriate gearing and feel comfortable the range will be 20 to 25 miles depending on terrain and wind. I read a formula for guessing approximate range: amp/hours x 2 for 100% throttle and double that range for PAS. So for the Volador that works out to max 14 miles with heavy throttle and max 28 miles PAS with no throttle. I feel confident in 25 miles based on my experience. The bike is easy to fold and can fit in the trunk of my Nissan Sentra. This is a bike for smooth roads and bike trails. I feel that the Qualisports Volador represents good quality at a fair price. I would suggest buy from a local dealer or let the dealer build it and develop a rapport with that shop for service. Paying a local shop an additional $100-150 will give you a lot of piece of mind and save you time and grief. Good luck!!

Back