Proviz Reflective Jackets - Have any experience?

Amanda

I like my lightweight windbreaker jacket, but I'm on the fence about replacing it with a cycling jacket like the proviz.

I currently wear a safety vest (construction worker style) on my night ride home. Kind of embarrassing but I like the illusion of safety.

Does anyone have experience with products like this one? It seems well constructed and very bright, but I'm leery of purchasing if there's a less expensive clone on the market.

Should I even replace my jacket? Is there another option? Gearing up for summer rides which may not require as much dark riding.

I just posted on a couple of my jackets in the Riese and Muller area. They probably aren't what you are looking for but: The Shower's Pass Amsterdam I like because I can wear it casually and it looks great while not looking like a cycling jacket. And does have some reflective accents. But it isn't hi viz for daytime cycling.

I'm with you on the safety vest. I posted that I bought one to fit over my Marmot Gravity. The Marmot is a bright orange but isn't hi viz material or reflective. The bright orange though is highly visible in the daytime. For me, I much prefer jackets that can serve multiple purposes while not looking so much like cycling gear. That is where the reflective vest comes in. The construction style vests can be found in minimalist style such that they fold right into your pocket but give you plenty of reflectivity. It wouldn't bother me in the least that they might look a bit goofy when you step off the bike. It just fits my needs and style much better to buy versatile jackets that aren't specifically for cycling (or for cycling but which don't look to be cycling specific) and supplement with the vest or led arm bands. In the latter I have purchased lighted leg and arm bands on Amazon from Planet Bike and Glow City.

Shower's Pass has a nice selection of jackets dedicated for cycling and multi-purpose but they can run a bit expensive. I saw a light Novara jacket at REI that looked great and wasn't too expensive. Had some nice cycling features but also looked good off the bike. It would be for a warmer commute say over 50F with a baselayer.

https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/over50s-charger-chronicles.11077/page-2#post-93818

I like my lightweight windbreaker jacket, but I'm on the fence about replacing it with a cycling jacket like the proviz.

I currently wear a safety vest (construction worker style) on my night ride home. Kind of embarrassing but I like the illusion of safety.

Does anyone have experience with products like this one? It seems well constructed and very bright, but I'm leery of purchasing if there's a less expensive clone on the market.

Should I even replace my jacket? Is there another option? Gearing up for summer rides which may not require as much dark riding.
@Amanda,
Something like this might be a solution
It offers Hi-Viz and can be fitted and removed quickly to limit any possible embarrassment

Attachments

• IMG_0045.PNG
    IMG_0045.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 490
Last edited:
I found an alternative but similar brand. Bit less expensive too, cuter looking.

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

For 100 it has a nicer looker, more stealth day look and better looking fit.

I checked out running room, but I'd want more function. Some of their jackets remind me more of rain ponchos than summer jackets. Well constructed, and Max $25 savings so I guess I can't dismiss them.

Back