Proper seats/saddles (especially for an e-bike)

Well, I went to the MD today, he looked at my ass. He said I had "a stage 1 compression wound in the lower buttocks area above the thigh from the bike seat abrasion", and suggested not to ride until healed as well as to use a 'DuoDERM CGF Sterile Self-Adhesive Hydrocolloid Dressing' to accelerate the healing. Ordered and will have tomorrow. Also, I saw this: https://thevseat.com/
Anyone try it, have any reviews?

Well, I went to the MD today, he looked at my ass. He said I had "a stage 1 compression wound in the lower buttocks area above the thigh from the bike seat abrasion", and suggested not to ride until healed as well as to use a 'DuoDERM CGF Sterile Self-Adhesive Hydrocolloid Dressing' to accelerate the healing. Ordered and will have tomorrow. Also, I saw this: https://thevseat.com/
Did you ask for a second opinion?

Although I have no experience with the Vseat, I've tried a dozen or more noseless saddles, including a couple with similar designs. In my case, I found the drop front of these seats still cause some irritation in the crotch area.

Everyone's butt is different but in my experience, I've found the designs which limit contact to just the sit bones are the least irritating. As I mentioned in post #35 above, I've had the best luck with the similarly priced Spiderflex:

Keep in mind what works for some, may not for all. I hope you can find a solution to your problem. I know what it's like to face the possibility of having to give up biking.

Well, I got the "fix", keep ya' all posted.
DuoDerm.JPG

The posts here have inspired me to reinvent my seat height, setback, reach, and posture. Early results look promising.

My return to cycling has been complicated by both lack of practice and peripheral neuropathy (due to an intervening surgical complication). Result: Some difficulty with balance on my feet, but none on a bike once above 4 mph or so.

Playing the trade-offs as best I could at the time, I set the seat as high as possible with both tip toes still on the ground at stops. To gain back some of the lost extension, I then maxed out saddle setback and adjusted the stem and grip angles accordingly for a back-friendly upright posture.

Fast forward 6 months to the present. Legs are stronger, low-speed balance is better, and I'm getting better at stops off the seat with ever-higher seat positions. Result: Ever-happier knees.

Using the info and tools here, it's now time to tackle butt pain — the only remaining barrier to rides longer than 25 miles. The main trade-off now will be between butt pain in the saddle and back pain afterward.

I go through all this to remind folks here (1) that getting all this right gets a lot more complicated when medical issues enter the picture, and (2) that some riders will need to work up to their own optimal configuration.

Meanwhile, I'm trying those padded undershorts @6zfshdb showed us.
Update: Now that I've reinvented my stops and feel comfortable with them in traffic, I'm back to the seat height and knee extension of my youth.

Knew that knee comfort, leg power, and leg endurance would all improve, but the boost in the latter two has been quite remarkable. Averaged 14 mph on today's 18.5 mi run to Cardiff beach and back — PAS 1/9 the whole way with several decent hills and a 10 mph headwind most of the way home.

Of course, nothing to write home about for a lot of our members, but a big and sudden improvement for me!

Exactly why I hang around on EBR.

Last edited:
A discovery from the yesterday's ride:
As warm Spring seems to have exploded in Poland, I pulled out more lightweight clothes from my wardrobe. Those included thickly padded cycling shorts. What a disappointment! The chamois was so thick I felt unpleasant stress in the perineal area, making the ride a torture!

The lesson: too thick padding or too soft/wide saddle make you suffer. Selecting thinly padded shorts for today!

In every single bicycle forum I’ve ever read someone always seeks advice on bicycle seats. There is no right answer from someone since your butt is yours. There is no such thing as a comfortable bicycle seat; there’s only less uncomfortable bicycle seats. I’ve been cycling for 42 years and have found a couple of less uncomfortable seats. At one time in by search all seven of my bikes had different seats and 13 in my bike cabinet for a total of 21. Yes I know you think I can’t add, one of the bikes is a tandem.

In every single bicycle forum I’ve ever read someone always seeks advice on bicycle seats. There is no right answer from someone since your butt is yours. There is no such thing as a comfortable bicycle seat; there’s only less uncomfortable bicycle seats. I’ve been cycling for 42 years and have found a couple of less uncomfortable seats. At one time in by search all seven of my bikes had different seats and 13 in my bike cabinet for a total of 21. Yes I know you think I can’t add, one of the bikes is a tandem.
Me too (6-8 seats in the basement). I did 35 miles yesterday, and today I'm going to put back some of the previous seats, as all of the adjustments, etc., made the ride(s) more improved, but the irritation of the chafing/sore is increased with the new Specialized Mirror seat. If I remember, and I'll report back if so, this all started with the new Specialized Mirror seat. We shall see.

The lesson: too thick padding or too soft/wide saddle make you suffer. Selecting thinly padded shorts for today!
My experience has been that a sweaty butt is a sore butt, so thinner padding often helps just on that. My other big takeaway is that the more layers between your bare behind and the saddle the more damage and more discomfort you will have.

Right now in the Pacific Northwest it is a very cool spring, so I'm usually riding with padded shorts, long underwear bottoms, and a loose pair of nylon shorts over it all. On longer rides those slippery nylon layers can slide around and rub against each other and that can cause some (and sometimes quite a bit of) discomfort.

One other suggestion is to mix it up and use different brands of padded shorts, or sometimes no padding at all.

I keep coming back to these shorts, they are light, thin, vent well, dry off quickly, and have adequate padding (and also reasonably priced):

Last edited:
I seem to have been blessed with a hard ass. I don't have much natural cushion down there, but I'm almost always more comfortable in an unlined base layer than any kind of chamois - until about 50 miles, then I start to wish maybe I had some padded shorts on. Those tri-shorts that @Mr. Coffee linked to look like they might be worth a try.

Can't say that I've had to deal with soreness/discomfort down there more than a few hours past the ride, luckily. Probably would on a multi day ride though.

I seem to have been blessed with a hard ass. I don't have much natural cushion down there, but I'm almost always more comfortable in an unlined base layer than any kind of chamois - until about 50 miles, then I start to wish maybe I had some padded shorts on. Those tri-shorts that @Mr. Coffee linked to look like they might be worth a try.

Can't say that I've had to deal with soreness/discomfort down there more than a few hours past the ride, luckily. Probably would on a multi day ride though.
I used to have a girlfriend years ago, who was a 'hard ass'. Hows that workin' for ya?

Back