Proper ebike mechanical and emotor use when riding

TerryV6

So, I had a bafang front motor kit installed on my sisters bike, and she is asking about how to ride it. She has the mechanical gears of course, and now has a number of levels of assist, plus the throttle. What do most people do on this? Of course just using throttle is not what she really wants to do, but it will help on hills. She is 66 and this is her first ebike. What is the sweet spot of mechanical drive plus assist? Does this question make sense to you? I didn't see much in the way of after installation use with a bike in terms of riding it... I'd appreciate any help, because I want to continue to appear all-knowing to my younger sister. grin..

I've been riding for many years on assist level 1, shifting into the best gear that matches my pedal pace, and using a bit of throttle when necessary, Riding like the old guy I am. I only have to go 12-14 mph though, It gives me enough exercise and I'm tired when I get home after 25 miles.

Did the installer use torque arms? Mark your front axle nuts with a sharpie, and tell sis to let you know if they ever move.

So, I had a bafang front motor kit installed on my sisters bike, and she is asking about how to ride it. She has the mechanical gears of course, and now has a number of levels of assist, plus the throttle. What do most people do on this? Of course just using throttle is not what she really wants to do, but it will help on hills. She is 66 and this is her first ebike. What is the sweet spot of mechanical drive plus assist? Does this question make sense to you? I didn't see much in the way of after installation use with a bike in terms of riding it... I'd appreciate any help, because I want to continue to appear all-knowing to my younger sister. grin..
Strongly suggest stasrting off with motor off and her pedaling it on level ground to get the feel for the bike. Then when she is comfortable have the motor on but in its lowest assist setting. Starting off with the bike in a high power assist mode can lead to loss of control, especially when turning the bike.

Back