Problems with the wallke april batch: no regen, 22mph top speed, 0mph coasting.

Very curious to see if these replacement motors give the 28mph speed myself, and if the speedo is close to speed indicated on gps.Mine has still not been shipped. I will post when I receive it along with results. This sure has been a less than thrilling journey with Wallke.
Thanks for the info guys.
Apparently DHL has my first bike's replacement motor arriving today. Crossing fingers and will report back when I can test.

I received word today that Wallke will be sending me replacement motors for both of my new X3 Pros that suffer from the reduced max speed and speedometer issues. I am impressed with their willingness to make this right. Hopefully they get all of us taken care of and correct the issue before their next production run.

Received my motor. Slightly different but guts are the same size. The cable to plug in is too short to reach the bike cable. Ugh.. can't test until I figure out how to plug the motor to battery.

Received my motor. Slightly different but guts are the same size. The cable to plug in is too short to reach the bike cable. Ugh.. can't test until I figure out how to plug the motor to battery.
Yea same here. I was able to pull out more cable after cutting the zip ties.

I received word today that Wallke will be sending me replacement motors for both of my new X3 Pros that suffer from the reduced max speed and speedometer issues. I am impressed with their willingness to make this right. Hopefully they get all of us taken care of and correct the issue before their next production run.
Yea mine came in already

Yea mine came in already
Curcutie. I reduced wheel size to 22 and was able to go full throttle at around 26 mph for 3 minutes straight and no slowdown. Motors for comparison. New one is on right.

Attachments

• 20210719_162326.jpg
    20210719_162326.jpg
    588.9 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Confirmed speedometer doesn't work when peddling without throttle and you coast. It goes back to zero.

Curcutie. I reduced wheel size to 22 and was able to go full throttle at around 26 mph for 3 minutes straight and no slowdown. Motors for comparison. New one is on right.
Ok I’ll try that today. But are you liking the added power?

Ok wow I just rode with 22” wheel setting and I think I might have to play devils advocate a little bit here because I am now getting crazy speed and range. Top speed for me is now 32mph with no slow downs and it’s also matching with my speedo on Strava. Range, I rode 30 miles yesterday on pas 1(17-19 mph) and I still have 18% battery left!! It’s also handling hills like it’s nothing. Right now, I can honestly ignore not having the coasting speed shown since it really is something that you gotta deal with for having a geared hub motor. The previous one rode super funny so I never saw the hype for these geared ones. It would give me random power outages, take forever for power to kick in, die on hills. But this new one tho!! It rides like a dream.

So thank you everyone for the recommendations. And even wallke hehe. I can now forgive them lol.

Attachments

• 11BD4C07-2470-4462-92C0-3F7E0C51C947.jpeg
    11BD4C07-2470-4462-92C0-3F7E0C51C947.jpeg
    549.9 KB · Views: 252
  • C1CC7BB7-467B-4AE0-BE40-1378B1D9FFCC.jpeg
    C1CC7BB7-467B-4AE0-BE40-1378B1D9FFCC.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 231
  • C60E2550-57FF-4DCC-818B-12854637C841.jpeg
    C60E2550-57FF-4DCC-818B-12854637C841.jpeg
    656.7 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Ok wow I just rode with 22” wheel setting and I think I might have to play devils advocate a little bit here because I am now getting crazy speed and range. Top speed for me is now 32mph with no slow downs and it’s also matching with my speedo on Strava. Range, I rode 30 miles yesterday on pas 1(17-19 mph) and I still have 18% battery left!! It’s also handling hills like it’s nothing. Right now, I can honestly ignore not having the coasting speed shown since it really is something that you gotta deal with for having a geared hub motor. The previous one rode super funny so I never saw the hype for these geared ones. It would give me random power outages, take forever for power to kick in, die on hills. But this new one tho!! It rides like a dream.

So thank you everyone for the recommendations. And even wallke hehe. I can now forgive them lol.
Is that top speed on a flat stretch of road or on a downhill?
Glad to hear its improving either way.

Havent got my new motor yet but if the speed is good, I may take Al's advice, operate on the wiring harness and to try to add a wheel sensor for the speedo. I've been using my gps on my phone. Really need a speedo as I can coast downhill with no power and go 45, in a 30 speed limit area.... not good. Police here just dont see the humor....

Havent got my new motor yet but if the speed is good, I may take Al's advice, operate on the wiring harness and to try to add a wheel sensor for the speedo. I've been using my gps on my phone. Really need a speedo as I can coast downhill with no power and go 45, in a 30 speed limit area.... not good. Police here just dont see the humor....
Wolf asked me to take a video of the speedo dropping to zero, so I need to do that still. They may still be able to fix it.

Hello all, I purchased my X3PRO in April, same May batch. I'm a long time mountain biker and commuter and this was my first ebike going in with little knowledge of the workings. Thankfully I found this forum and that many of you have taken the initiative to get the issues resolved as I have the same experience as others. I followed closely and made contact with Wallke, initiated a claim, sent videos, etc and recently received my replacement wheel/ hub and a new controller. No problems swapping, hard to see much difference in the components and the controller appears to be the same - spec wise anyway.
Initial testing was very positive. Feels to have more power, quicker PAS engagement and I now have speed display when not pedaling. Matched the speed to my phone GPS and it was off on the 22 inch setting (accurate with the old parts) so I found the 24 inch wheel setting to be accurate. I did a no load PAS 5 speed run and achieved 36mph on the speed display!
I haven't had a chance to "open it up" on the street yet but I'm optimistic it will be more than I need.
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone working to resolve these issues and that I'm happy with the response from Wallke to make it right. I hope everyone else has or will have a similar experience.

I received the replacement motor for my April order this week, in July, no controller was sent though, and all issues are the same for me as before. Top speed with 185lb rider 21 to 22 mph max on flat paved road. Uphill it slows to 6mph without pedaling up a 6%grade incline. The speedo also still drops to zero when not peadaling or applying power, and the display wheel diameter is also inaccurately set to 24" to match actual speed.
Basically, the motor/wheel was not the issue with mine. I wrote Wallke to ask about the controller. So, will see how that goes, and post the next leg of the saga.

Last edited:
I assume the motor/ hub I got is the same as others, hard to tell the only marking I found is behind the cassette. In the number is 48 and 750 so I guess that's a direct replacement. The new controller is exactly the same as the old one on the outside- size, material, specification tag and harness leads. The bike is working like I want so maybe they determined I had a bad controller or there was an improvement in design that can't be seen on the outside. Swapping it back out might show if that was a fix but I probably won't.
I'm not sure why (since this is a geared hub) but I could have sworn I glanced a red -350w on the display (PAS 1, coasting) but I couldn't get it to repeat. I don't expect regen to happen and don't care either, just thought that was weird.
I also noticed on a climb the PAS didn't kick in like I wanted and I had to throttle it to boost, maybe I still have some things to figure out. The controller is rated 18A so maybe it's reached max load on a climb? A little math would tell.

I assume the motor/ hub I got is the same as others, hard to tell the only marking I found is behind the cassette. In the number is 48 and 750 so I guess that's a direct replacement. The new controller is exactly the same as the old one on the outside- size, material, specification tag and harness leads. The bike is working like I want so maybe they determined I had a bad controller or there was an improvement in design that can't be seen on the outside. Swapping it back out might show if that was a fix but I probably won't.
I'm not sure why (since this is a geared hub) but I could have sworn I glanced a red -350w on the display (PAS 1, coasting) but I couldn't get it to repeat. I don't expect regen to happen and don't care either, just thought that was weird.
I also noticed on a climb the PAS didn't kick in like I wanted and I had to throttle it to boost, maybe I still have some things to figure out. The controller is rated 18A so maybe it's reached max load on a climb? A little math would tell.
Hi
Interesting, Wolf asked me to video my issues, and include a photo of the new motor serial numbers. My new motor has no writing inscribed on the hub barrel like the original motor has. Only a qc pass sticker, no other ID that I find?? another poster in this forum received a motor labeled from another manufacturer entirely. They attached photos. With the Wallke service thus far, Wallke seems more like a comedy episode of keystone cops. Its almost like the supplier to Wallke made some changes, and now is doing random things to solve the issues, judging by the variances of responses in this forum, and various "sollutions" sent to users with the very same issues. Seems to be no consistency for sure. I wonder if they arent guessing at Wallke, or their supplier. Did you have to remove the cassette to expose the motor numbers on your new motor?

Regarding regen, there was another person in here that had regen working. They said the watt indication turns red with the watts being sent back to the battery when it operates correctly.
Regen has never worked fir me, nor do I care about it working at this point. However, from reading in these forums about how it is supposed to work , I understand you need to have the advanced setting set to allow it to function. Sorry I dont have the setting acronym or the value, but it needs to be "turned on" in the advanced display settings. (I posted a link in a separate Wallke thread for the X3pro display manual, you should find the parameter there) After the setting is turned on, you need to get the bike over 15mph, say, go downhill at 25mph, and then change the pas to 1 at that speed, then it should show regen. If you have it, and its working, it should show red on the display. I suspect the bike will slow down as well from the motor generation converting motion to electricity.
I am curious, did you "demand" to have regen capability with your replacement motor? I did not. I'm only looking for a motor that will reach 28mph, and for my speedo to function without pedaling. I was wondering if you may have received a controller with your motor as a result of demanding the regen to work?

Id love to see 30 mph on gps! Was that on a flat road or slight downhill? Did you get a new controller with your new motor? My new motor performs exactly like the old one leading me to think its not a motor issue. Also interested if your new motor has numbers on it?

Back